IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DirtyMoney

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can quit my job tomorrow and have another gig paying 150k in a month. I have more job security now than I ever did as a FTE.

As far as time off, I took a year off in 2008 and another year off in 2012. Next time I take a year off I'm probably gonna spend it in Brazil or Ghana.
Thats the move. Took 2010-2011 off and I'm about to be done with this working year and try travel cos Patrice Oneal said brazil is the move RIP

I've got a question for the people who make a living as contractors. How much time off do you get? How stressful is lining up your next gig?
Contracts are plenty. No sweat

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's 2015 and there's so much dated information online in what seems to be a cutting edge industry

Where does someone with no background get started these days?

I'm 24 with a successful sales/management background and am curious about studying for something like this while I continue my current day job, with the eventual goal of being in the field full time

Where can I learn best on the job? What basics do I need before applying somewhere to gain experience? What certs should I immediately pursue?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I've got a question for the people who make a living as contractors. How much time off do you get? How stressful is lining up your next gig?
Depends on location, Houston you get offers every day

Silkk

Daps
It's 2015 and there's so much dated information online in what seems to be a cutting edge industry

Where does someone with no background get started these days?

I'm 24 with a successful sales/management background and am curious about studying for something like this while I continue my current day job, with the eventual goal of being in the field full time

Where can I learn best on the job? What basics do I need before applying somewhere to gain experience? What certs should I immediately pursue?
Page 1 of this thread

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Page 1 of this thread

is from 2012 and I'm thinking that in a fast paced industry norms and starting points have potentially evolved in that 3 year timespan.

Just looking for a post, a link, a beginners information page, something. I see a+ certs have been mentioned as a starting point, do I need prior training to do that? What entry level jobs can I investigate once I have that certification? Where should I go to get it? What does it cost? Self study, classroom training, or a combination of both?

Silkk

Daps
is from 2012 and I'm thinking that in a fast paced industry norms and starting points have potentially evolved in that 3 year timespan.

Just looking for a post, a link, a beginners information page, something. I see a+ certs have been mentioned as a starting point, do I need prior training to do that? What entry level jobs can I investigate once I have that certification? Where should I go to get it? What does it cost? Self study, classroom training, or a combination of both?
Comptia.org for info
Groupon for study tools
Google & Wikipedia

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Thats the move. Took 2010-2011 off and I'm about to be done with this working year and try travel cos Patrice Oneal said brazil is the move RIP

Contracts are plenty. No sweat

Yeah, I'm salty I didn't think of living overseas the first time I took a year off. I woulda been on a beach with a drank, no draws, eating the finest of crab meats :wow:

DirtyMoney

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I'm salty I didn't think of living overseas the first time I took a year off. I woulda been on a beach with a drank, no draws, eating the finest of crab meats :wow:
Where you eating crab meats at ? linkup.. i'm bout that vacay life too so hit me on the inbox when u makin a move especially to brazil..Bout to be in medellin very soon prior to brazil

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

What part of IT are you looking to get into. Thats the first question.