IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So as you will see below my profile. My friend and I are working on a side computer business service thing. Just wanted to ask you guys if you know anyone especially those who are older since they are likelier to have questions about computers to contact his number or PM me if you want.

Free diagnostics, $30 for installing hardware, $45-60 for removing viruses (depending on virus), data retrieval $50, software configuration, $40-60

The general gist of it is in the sig but you can ask for more info. I really wanna do the IT thing and try and get the A+ but finances have gotten even worse...this minimum wage job has gotten worse and they have cut even more hours now because the company is gonna close soon in 2 months so they are just trying to pay us as little as possible I can't live with paychecks $120 a week fam :mjcry:

So in the meantime while trying to find another job i wanna try this with him..

Its my dream to one day be like the elite homies in here sitting in my draws bullshytting making $100 K playing Playstation 5 and getting dome by a milf Sister in her mid 40s... ::sadcam:

@Squirtle you know anyone in NY? any older folks you can ask? or @Buckeye Fever

Last edited:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Brehs,

Is there a good online source that you would recommend to learn the following
  • Perl
  • Ruby
Preferably something YOU have used. Ive written a few perls scripts in the past and . Well let me stop lying. In the past ive modified perl existing scripts to make it do what i need which was typically something similar to that the original author intended it to do but never took the time to explore and learn scripting. I took java in college and thats pretty much the extent of my experience in writing scripts. I have since flushed all that sh!t out of my brain

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Brehs,

Is there a good online source that you would recommend to learn the following
  • Perl
  • Ruby
Preferably something YOU have used. Ive written a few perls scripts in the past and . Well let me stop lying. In the past ive modified perl existing scripts to make it do what i need which was typically something similar to that the original author intended it to do but never took the time to explore and learn scripting. I took java in college and thats pretty much the extent of my experience in writing scripts. I have since flushed all that sh!t out of my brain

For a basic introduction to programming Ruby
www.amazon.com/Learn-Program-Second-Facets-Ruby/dp/1934356360/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441755938&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+pine+ruby

The second book you should read
www.amazon.com/Well-Grounded-Rubyist-David-Black/dp/1617291692/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441756553&sr=8-1&keywords=well+grounded+rubyist

If you want 'free stuff':
Learn Ruby The Hard Way

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Well....I'm thinking about finally taking that leap and joining the IT brotherhood :jbhmm:

Just some of the success stories...Brothas making $60-70 an hour sittin in they draws, playing PS4. Thats a black man's dream:wow:
I've always been into computers and most of the time when I'm not out...I'm on my laptop:yeshrug:
Its just that some of the info....can be kinda overwhelming/confusing for a novice/beginner like myself :lupe: :damn:

So, I'm gonna take the opportunity and try to learn CompTia A+. :whew:
I don't what cert I'm gong after or how long it will take to complete this but I'm dedicated. :demonic:
A young nikka just wanna win...I'm tired of being jobless and broke. :to:

My advice -

1. Get your A+ and then immediately start looking for helpdesk/desktop support/tech support rep jobs. In IT experience trumps all, so you need to try to get a job as soon as you can and work your way up.

2. You gotta pay your dues...there's usually no way around it unless you got a relative that's an IT manager or something. Expect that you'll start out answering phones and resetting passwords making $10-15/hr. Nobody is gonna let somebody off the street with no experience into their server room. Just try to get your foot in the door and learn from your coworkers.

3. Dunno if you have a degree, but if not consider taking some IT classes at your local community college. Not only for the education, but to network and meet other people in the industry. A lot of people in IT classes already have jobs in IT or used to work in IT and might be able to tell you who's hiring and/or put in a good word for you. Hell, my old boss left and went to teach at a community college, if he recommended somebody to us they'd be at the top of the list for an interview. Also, having an associates is a good way to get your resume looked at if you have no experience.

One day I really want to do something to help get more black people into IT. Not sure how but that'd be a great legacy to leave... :wow:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
thats the first thing i tried but then i keep checking and my ip is still the same :to:
Change it through the gateway settings. I just kept changing mine from static to dynamic until it changed :manny:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Next week i need to be in the library hardbody, too many distractions at home

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
My advice -

1. Get your A+ and then immediately start looking for helpdesk/desktop support/tech support rep jobs. In IT experience trumps all, so you need to try to get a job as soon as you can and work your way up.

2. You gotta pay your dues...there's usually no way around it unless you got a relative that's an IT manager or something. Expect that you'll start out answering phones and resetting passwords making $10-15/hr. Nobody is gonna let somebody off the street with no experience into their server room. Just try to get your foot in the door and learn from your coworkers.

3. Dunno if you have a degree, but if not consider taking some IT classes at your local community college. Not only for the education, but to network and meet other people in the industry. A lot of people in IT classes already have jobs in IT or used to work in IT and might be able to tell you who's hiring and/or put in a good word for you. Hell, my old boss left and went to teach at a community college, if he recommended somebody to us they'd be at the top of the list for an interview. Also, having an associates is a good way to get your resume looked at if you have no experience.

One day I really want to do something to help get more black people into IT. Not sure how but that'd be a great legacy to leave... :wow:

Thanks for the tips brethren... More advice would be welcomed and appreciated :salute:

I just started off watching this video course on A+

For the last part....All I have is my GED diploma. I've never attended college before but I've considered it. How many years will it take to get my cert if I was to go the school route?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Thanks for the tips brethren... More advice would be welcomed and appreciated :salute:

I just started off watching this video course on A+

For the last part....All I have is my GED diploma. I've never attended college before but I've considered it. How many years will it take to get my cert if I was to go the school route?

Well I mean you don't directly get certs from going to school. To get your cert you have to sign up for the test, take it, and pass it, no school necessary. You could go get your cert tomorrow if you passed the test. The thing is, it costs over $100 to take the test so you don't want to waste your money taking the test and failing.

But going to school and taking something like an A+ prep class will help get you ready for the test. But the main reason I recommend school is that it's a good way to meet people that already work in IT that can put in a good word for you and help you find your first job. I've seen a lot of people get job hookups from their professors if they do really good in their classes.