IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Systems admin is a fairly nebulous term that varies greatly from employer to employer. What you do need to know is the big picture of how aspects of technology work together. You should have a decent understanding of DNS and why it's important, server provisioning, AD/Group Policy if you're a Windows shop, networking, definitely backups and how to recover from a disaster, setting up and deploying a VPN, virtualization be it via ESXi/HyperV/KVM... DEFINITELY printing, you hear nothing louder than when your end users can't print... learn how to keep accurate and up to date documentation, it's a godsend

RHEL7 RHCSA Sample exam 1 - CertDepot

enjoy, spin up a vm and do it

You sold me on the RHCSA cert I checked some IT job postings on the web relating to the RHCSA and most of them expended you to have 4-10 years experience. Is this for cert for noobs like me in college?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
After watching some cbt nuggets for Windows Server 2012 and reading the first chapter of the book... I'm assuming I pretty much have to learn powershell now, right?

I haven't read the book, but learning powershell is not difficult, is EXTREMELY useful, and will make you stand ahead of all other candidates when it comes to get a job. The last 4 or so positions I've had is because I'm really good at Powershell.

It does a small learning curve but once you've ran a couple of commands and get familiar with setting up the environment you'll use it almost daily.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
You sold me on the RHCSA cert I checked some IT job postings on the web relating to the RHCSA and most of them expended you to have 4-10 years experience. Is this for cert for noobs like me in college?

RHCSA is pretty elementary, relatively speaking. It's designed for linux admins with a year of experience under their belt

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't read the book, but learning powershell is not difficult, is EXTREMELY useful, and will make you stand ahead of all other candidates when it comes to get a job. The last 4 or so positions I've had is because I'm really good at Powershell.

It does a small learning curve but once you've ran a couple of commands and get familiar with setting up the environment you'll use it almost daily.

Learn Powershell in a month of lunches is piff, helped me a ton.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
RHCSA is pretty elementary, relatively speaking. It's designed for linux admins with a year of experience under their belt

apparently you need a prerequisite I dont have.

What's your opinion on a CCNA plus an IT degree (and hopefully a M$ cert in the future) because that's what I'm leaning to

Last edited:

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
Hey, First of all thanks to all contributors.

I work on vendor neutral cloud services. I've an MCSA Office 365 certification, ITIL and a microsoft project 2013 certification. I'm a bit stuck because we work mostly on projects and I can't get enough hands on experience to go for the MCSE Communication which is now based on Skype for Business.

I am a bit frustrated because I want to jump into new things. I am interested by the business / orof the CCDA but I have very little experience on Cisco Technologies. So I'm just going to build a lab & work on it.

Any advice on how I can better myself certs wise ? Even after the MCSE, I will just go for the new ITIL Practitionner exam and see from there.

Like most of you, I will be moving into consulting a few years from now.
depends on your long term goal... i always tell the folks ive been mentoring not to do stuff just to do it... your immediate actions need to align with your long term career goals... always

so what is your 3-5, 10 year goal?