IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
anyone here in product sales? i have a couple of account exec jobs open up... seriously considering getting into software sales

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Now buy/download the MCSE 2012: Server Infrastructure books and start studying. As you go through the books you'll learn how to install Windows, learn all about the OS and its features, and learn how to install, administer, and troubleshoot Active Directory.

By the time you're finished (assuming you made labs for everything) you'll have enough knowledge to get a sys admin job.

You can also get the books covering SCCM and Exchange and setup labs for those as well. With an AD, Exchange, and SCCM lab you'll be coasting.

FYI SCCM dudes make bank.
*Filed*

Tell me something tho, when you talk about setting up labs, you're talking virtually or physically?

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
depends on your long term goal... i always tell the folks ive been mentoring not to do stuff just to do it... your immediate actions need to align with your long term career goals... always

so what is your 3-5, 10 year goal?

I have a bachelor in IT & about 3 years of experience. I like the technical work with a good understanding of the business side of things . That's why being in a project oriented startup made sense. I've been able to work on software development projects, exchange migrations, cloud migrations, ITIL Process integration and so on.

So, the 3-5 is mostly to gain experience by working on some dope ass projects, get the CISA and move into Auditing. The 10 year goal is basically to work my ass off and get that bread :sas2:

The CCDA can help get a better understanding of things from the networking side. I have basic CCNA knowledge but with little professional experience with Cisco, I feel some type of way doing the cert.

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
One dude said 5 years at help desk :damn:

:sadbron:

:whoa: my case was special. I started automating alot of our tasks, saving the company a ton of $$$$$. My last 2 years there I was a Sr. Engineer. I rarely took calls.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
:sadbron:

:whoa: my case was special. I started automating alot of our tasks, saving the company a ton of $$$$$. My last 2 years there I was a Sr. Enigneer. I rarely took calls.

That doesnt sound like help desk :hmm:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Anybody here use or have an opinion on the Sybex A+ book? I downloaded it as a supplement and it looks a lot more detailed than Mike Myers' book (which I have a physical copy of)

I don't wanna waste the time if the Myers' book is sufficient :manny:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Im shook bruh. I dont think I can do six months on that. Let alone 1 year + :sadcam:

Gotta pay your dues. Unless you plan on entering IT as a programmer, But then alot of the time you need a CS degree or a portfolio( open source projects or something ).

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Im shook bruh. I dont think I can do six months on that. Let alone 1 year + :sadcam:

I was on helpdesk for 4 years until I finally got a chance to move into a Sys Admin role and then left for a Sys Engineer position. I doubt you find anybody who's gonna trust you with more than break/fix and password resets with just 6 months of helpdesk experience.

If you are in a solid environment then being on helpdesk might not be that bad. The desktop guys at my job work with office 365, AD, VDI, SCCM, Backups, McAfee ePO/Web Gateway, and tons of other shyt. Almost everything gets offloaded to them at some point.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I was on helpdesk for 4 years until I finally got a chance to move into a Sys Admin role and then left for a Sys Engineer position. I doubt you find anybody who's gonna trust you with more than break/fix and password resets with just 6 months of helpdesk experience.

If you are in a solid environment then being on helpdesk might not be that bad. The desktop guys at my job work with office 365, AD, VDI, SCCM, Backups, McAfee ePO/Web Gateway, and tons of other shyt. Almost everything gets offloaded to them at some point.

We're you applying outside the company everyday?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, the only caveat would be you'd have to go to a REALLY small organization and ace your technical interview.

If you're in a massive enterprise environment yeah, desktop support will expose you to a lot of things