IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We're you applying outside the company everyday?

I started kinda looking to move out of helpdesk around my 2nd year, but its just so hard to make the transition some times. I was "looking" for a couple years but the only thing I could really get was other helpdesk positions. And I think it was partially because I was afraid to leave my comfort zone and scared to go to a new job and fail. Finally I was able to get more responsibility at the place I worked and then once I gained experience I was able make strides. I think the biggest help was finally being exposed to more advanced stuff and then I kinda knew what I wanted to do and was able to self-study and lab.

I think that jump from helpdesk is probably the most difficult jump in IT. After that it seems like its constant progression if you are motivated to keep moving up.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I think that jump from helpdesk is probably the most difficult jump in IT.

It's very difficult, specifically because doing well at a helpdesk/desktop support type role doesn't necessarily translate to a higher position; most organizations don't look to promote from their help desk when hiring sysadmin roles either; they want someone who has done it before, which is understandable. You really have to study on your own time, getting good at helpdesk is only gonna keep you stapled to the help desk.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just updated my Resume and moved stuff around/added some stuff.

Any brehs want to review it and give recommendations? I`m an BA by the way.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It's very difficult, specifically because doing well at a helpdesk/desktop support type role doesn't necessarily translate to a higher position; most organizations don't look to promote from their help desk when hiring sysadmin roles either; they want someone who has done it before, which is understandable. You really have to study on your own time, getting good at helpdesk is only gonna keep you stapled to the help desk.

I agree, the lower down the chain you are, the harder it is to move up.

The hardest job to get in IT is your first one, and the next hardest is to get off the helpdesk. I was on helpdesk for 4-5 years myself before I moved to a network admin role. One piece of advice that I'd give is, once you have a decent amount of helpdesk experience, don't be afraid to switch companies if the one you're at doesn't promote from within. It's worth it to take a similar position at a different place if there's more room for growth. Sticking around at a company where there are no chances to move up is a great way to stay on helpdesk for a long time.

I was at a company working helpdesk for over three years...was well liked and everything, and liked the people/company, but there was just no opportunity to move up. Made a lateral jump to a helpdesk job at another place and got a promotion after two years. Had I stayed at the same place I might still be on helpdesk.

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
I'm not getting any certs right now just working on my Associates right now for Cyber-security but damn they teach some dope shyt. I got this program from my teacher and I plugged my phone and did a download of all the data off my phone. It had everything I have ever done on my phone since I got it on there. I've only had it for a year but every website, text message, picture, etc was on there even the shyt I deleted off the phone. shyt is crazy.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The hardest job to get in IT is your first one, and the next hardest is to get off the helpdesk. I was on helpdesk for 4-5 years myself before I moved to a network admin role. One piece of advice that I'd give is, once you have a decent amount of helpdesk experience, don't be afraid to switch companies if the one you're at doesn't promote from within. It's worth it to take a similar position at a different place if there's more room for growth. Sticking around at a company where there are no chances to move up is a great way to stay on helpdesk for a long time.

I was at a company working helpdesk for over three years...was well liked and everything, and liked the people/company, but there was just no opportunity to move up. Made a lateral jump to a helpdesk job at another place and got a promotion after two years. Had I stayed at the same place I might still be on helpdesk.
Listen to this man, I went through the same shyt. Well liked at the office, great benefits the whole 9 yards...5 years there and I just left the company for a higher position but looking back, I shouldve been gone after 3 years since they werent promoting or giving me the hands on experience I needed to get a better job or work somewhere which I could be promoted from within the company.

I've read post of folks mentioning Sys Admin roles after 2-3 years at the helpdesk:duck:, no saying that its impossible but Ive rarely seen this happen in the real world. Unless you're at the top 1% in regards to technical and learning abilities, I'd find it hard to believe that someone can go from "green" IT helpdesk tech to legit systems admin in 36 months. Point I'm trying to make is to be patient, put the work in, continue to perfect your craft and dont get stagnant if you want to make it in this industry

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This is by design

Yea, it's almost like they want you to get comfortable in your role, where your skills become dated and you are only good to them as you probably didnt try to gain skills that will help you elsewhere. I've seen people with 20+ yrs in a company and complain about things like pay, and I would think "why not leave? all that experience you could be a director somewhere", but then I realize they have been in a system so long their skills are no good anywhere else but where they are now, and I`m sure going from a SME to new to a different culture/system could be tough (unless you go to a competitor company that does the same thing ).

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yea, it's almost like they want you to get comfortable in your role, where your skills become dated and you are only good to them as you probably didnt try to gain skills that will help you elsewhere. I've seen people with 20+ yrs in a company and complain about things like pay, and I would think "why not leave? all that experience you could be a director somewhere", but then I realize they have been in a system so long their skills are no good anywhere else but where they are now, and I`m sure going from a SME to new to a different culture/system could be tough (unless you go to a competitor company that does the same thing ).

Yeah it is what it is. I remember when I was first starting out I worked desktop support at a major investment bank(we dealt with trading support, executive support, yadda yadda)... and at the time I'm in my mid-20s and my co-workers are cool as fukk but they're all in their late 30s-40s and I'm like :martin:, couldn't be me. I couldn't knock it though, we were making a decent living and the job was stable as fukk, it's easy to get comfortable in that sort of role.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah it is what it is. I remember when I was first starting out I worked desktop support at a major investment bank(we dealt with trading support, executive support, yadda yadda)... and at the time I'm in my mid-20s and my co-workers are cool as fukk but they're all in their late 30s-40s and I'm like :martin:, couldn't be me. I couldn't knock it though, we were making a decent living and the job was stable as fukk, it's easy to get comfortable in that sort of role.
At the end of the day I`m not knocking anyone comfortable in a position as it just means less people in my way when it comes to navigating and making moves in life. Seems once people hit their 30s or have kids and are able to provide they no longer have a hunger (maybe never had one) for more. I'm in my mid 20s approaching late 20s and I know I dont want to be a # in the corporate structure forever, but a lot of the Baby Boomers are on that whole be somewhere 40 yrs and retire, issue with that is there are only a few Management/Director roles in companies, and I just can imagine being somewhere 40 yrs and having to report to Mid level managers that may be younger than me.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

How did you not commit suicide :dwillhuh:

I used to go to work depressed everyday when I was in help desk.....and that was just 2.5 years :mjcry:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Listen to this man, I went through the same shyt. Well liked at the office, great benefits the whole 9 yards...5 years there and I just left the company for a higher position but looking back, I shouldve been gone after 3 years since they werent promoting or giving me the hands on experience I needed to get a better job or work somewhere which I could be promoted from within the company.

I've read post of folks mentioning Sys Admin roles after 2-3 years at the helpdesk:duck:, no saying that its impossible but Ive rarely seen this happen in the real world. Unless you're at the top 1% in regards to technical and learning abilities, I'd find it hard to believe that someone can go from "green" IT helpdesk tech to legit systems admin in 36 months. Point I'm trying to make is to be patient, put the work in, continue to perfect your craft and dont get stagnant if you want to make it in this industry

Its definitely possible breh, I did it. By the time I left my 1st gig (mostly help desk with some AD administration sprinkled in), I had 2.5 years experience and got my first contract working on an SSO/AD project.

Before I got that job I had interviewed for an Exchange Team Lead position at Xavier University and pretty much would have gotten the job but the recruiter straight told me that there would be problems cause I was like 23 and I would have been leading a team of people in their 40s and 50s. Sje straight told me I knew my shyt but I was too young. Another job I interviewed for (and pretty much got the job) and the hiring manager straight told me "how the hell do you know all this shyt already :dahell:"

That's when I realized my age was holding me back. Plus I didn't have facial so I looked like I was 15 and shyt :heh:

I grew my goatee out and the rest was history :blessed:

I knew my shyt though and I was a beast with it. I was pretty good at scripting and I knew AD and Exchange like the back of my hand, and I had some routing/switching experience too.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Companies absolutely do that. They have no real desire to 'develop your skills' past the point where you're fulfilling some necessary role in their company for as cheap as possible. If you refuse to negotiate your salary, which includes the option of leaving, you'll continually be underpaid... and I would say never leave one's 'skill development' up to the company.