IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Teach yourself a language and start going for entry level jobs.

speaking of languages I got an advanced program from Pimsleur approach for Haitian creole i been procrastinating on. Ill master that and start learning Swahili also for my Nairobe connects when I copy your business idea instead of being creative myself :blessed:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I will add(I have my RHCSA), the Red Hat certifications are all practical(i.e. they give you a bunch of tasks to do on a live machine, then it gets graded), you can't pass by rote memory so they have a little more substance than the Comptia Linux cert which is multiple choice based last I knew

How difficult was the RHCSA?

how long did it take you to get that cert?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So I just finished my A+ and got a better help desk gig at chase but I'm starting to realize help desk isn't going to be for me in the long run. I want to try to get in as a systems admin. What do I need to study to get me to that point

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
So I just finished my A+ and got a better help desk gig at chase but I'm starting to realize help desk isn't going to be for me in the long run. I want to try to get in as a systems admin. What do I need to study to get me to that point

Systems admin is a fairly nebulous term that varies greatly from employer to employer. What you do need to know is the big picture of how aspects of technology work together. You should have a decent understanding of DNS and why it's important, server provisioning, AD/Group Policy if you're a Windows shop, networking, definitely backups and how to recover from a disaster, setting up and deploying a VPN, virtualization be it via ESXi/HyperV/KVM... DEFINITELY printing, you hear nothing louder than when your end users can't print... learn how to keep accurate and up to date documentation, it's a godsend

Is there software available to simulate the exam?

RHEL7 RHCSA Sample exam 1 - CertDepot

enjoy, spin up a vm and do it

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Hey, First of all thanks to all contributors.

I work on vendor neutral cloud services. I've an MCSA Office 365 certification, ITIL and a microsoft project 2013 certification. I'm a bit stuck because we work mostly on projects and I can't get enough hands on experience to go for the MCSE Communication which is now based on Skype for Business.

I am a bit frustrated because I want to jump into new things. I am interested by the business / orof the CCDA but I have very little experience on Cisco Technologies. So I'm just going to build a lab & work on it.

Any advice on how I can better myself certs wise ? Even after the MCSE, I will just go for the new ITIL Practitionner exam and see from there.

Like most of you, I will be moving into consulting a few years from now.

Last edited:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
dead ass. I might have to go to CS. Y'all nikkas throwing wild numbers out there for your time at help desk.

One dude said 5 years at help desk :damn:

Thats the same shyt as a call center and Id rather kill myself than do more than 3 months of that.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
dead ass. I might have to go to CS. Y'all nikkas throwing wild numbers out there for your time at help desk.

One dude said 5 years at help desk :damn:

Thats the same shyt as a call center and Id rather kill myself than do more than 3 months of that.

You can also do help desk while in school though, i did it for a yr, if you get a student gig you can graduate with at least 2_+ years experience. Most schools have student jobs in the IT Departments folks just never look them up.