IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
986 on icnd2 :whew:

@bdizzle I think I'm gonna go right into ccnp taking the routing exam first.. Do I need to purchase gear or will gns3 suffice for the routing portion? I'm thinking about grabbing a few switches to go with gns3 for switching... Or do I need to rack up :lupe:

Double J

Banned
Daps

@bdizzle I think I'm gonna go right into ccnp taking the routing exam first.. Do I need to purchase gear or will gns3 suffice for the routing portion? I'm thinking about grabbing a few switches to go with gns3 for switching... Or do I need to rack up :lupe:

Congrats breh! :myman:

Couple questions if you don't mind me asking. What certs/experience did you have before getting the CCNA? And is it worth it to get the Network+ before the CCNA?

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Just did a phone screen for a new guy..and he only had 3 years software dev experience so I went light on him....

He couldn't answer a few basic questions...I found this troubling:

He did know the difference between Inner join and left join

He did not know the difference between undefined and hull objects

He did not know the difference in pass by reference and pass by value ..

and he was black...:mjcry:

Had he had just got out of college I may have gave him a pass and let him come in just to get his feet wet...but he had a dev job for about 3 years

So I have to tell my manager no-go:snoop:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just did a phone screen for a new guy..and he only had 3 years software dev experience so I went light on him....

Had he had just got out of college I may have gave him a pass and let him come in just to get his feet wet...but he had a dev job for about 3 years

Whenever I had black candidates to interview I always gave them softball questions and they always got the job :mjlol:

By the time I left the department was damn near all black :lolbron:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

For routing GNS3 will work, but having physical equipment is always better.

For switching you'll definately need physical switches or you have to rent rack space.

Do the routing exam first. I believe you can do pretty much everything on that exam in GSN3.

Just make sure you don't stop until you're at the top. Knock out all the exams ASAP then you pretty much can coast for the rest of your career.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Couple questions if you don't mind me asking. What certs/experience did you have before getting the CCNA? And is it worth it to get the Network+ before the CCNA?

Ima ole head :flabbynsick: but don't even bother with the Network+

You get certs for 2 reasons

1) To make more money
2) To learn a new skill so you can make more money

The Network+ cert has never been in high demand (I read through the book after getting my A+ and skipped it to do the CCNA. This was in 2002-2003 FYI). If networking is where you wanna be, go for the CCNA breh.

Go on Dice, find a bunch of jobs that pays 6 figures that you want to have, and look at what certs they require. Once you see that they all are asking for cert X, that's the one you get.

This chess not checkers breh :ufdup:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Whenever I had black candidates to interview I always gave them softball questions and they always got the job :mjlol:

:whoo:

I made a joke to a dude a few weeks back when he came up here looking for somebody...I said .."Yo breh...the call center is on the 5th floor"...he was like ":dwillhuh:..Yo im a developer"........I was like ":sas1: prove it nikka!!"....he said :mjcry:"You right..I just wanted to see what yall doin"..I said:camby:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

I made a joke to a dude a few weeks back when he came up here looking for somebody...I said .."Yo breh...the call center is on the 5th floor"...he was like ":dwillhuh:..Yo im a developer"........I was like ":sas1: prove it nikka!!"....he said :mjcry:"You right..I just wanted to see what yall doin"..I said:camby:

:dead:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

:mjcry:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

you aint shyt

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

I wanna be like this one day. :mjcry:

Gotta figure out how to work my way up to a position where I have some say in who gets hired though...right now I'm just one vote out of 6 so the best I can do is put in a good word for a breh. :mjcry:

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé

I've been working as an all round pc/phone tech for the past 4 years.. CCNA is my first cert. CCNA negates the N+ as CCENT pretty much covers N+ and some.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
For routing GNS3 will work, but having physical equipment is always better.

For switching you'll definately need physical switches or you have to rent rack space.

Do the routing exam first. I believe you can do pretty much everything on that exam in GSN3.

Just make sure you don't stop until you're at the top. Knock out all the exams ASAP then you pretty much can coast for the rest of your career.

You can grab four 3560E or 3750E switches from ebay, but for CCNP you can use IOS over Unix images for L2 switching labs.

Anything above CCNP level will be rack rentals.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Start Grad School next week :whoo:. Will probably try rocking with stuff like Code Academy on the side too. I think by time I`m done I should have a strong case of being team 6 figures and being under 30, my goal is under 35 to hit 6 fig but I think the masters, yrs experience I`d have after, and the stuff I teach myself on the side should at least speed things up. I hope :mjcry:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Just got an email saying I got approved for my own business. Legal zoom bout to send me these documents. Bout to in game development heavy :shaq:.

I just hope people wanna play my games:sadcam: #supportastarvingdeveloper #keepingmymain #butgotaside lol