IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's a good resource on Mac troubleshooting? I feel like I'm at a pretty big disadvantage when interviewing because my Mac knowledge is weak.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
What's a good resource on Mac troubleshooting? I feel like I'm at a pretty big disadvantage when interviewing because my Mac knowledge is weak.
Apple actually offers courses to both Apple employees and non-employees. they host them at their stores I believe. it's information on their site.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Been playing phone tag with a recruiter, she called yesterday and didnt leave a message so I thought it was a spam call, called this morning same thing, then called when I was driving this afternoon and left a message, I could back 10 min later when I got inside and no answer :francis:, left a VM.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
Would me teaching volunteered IT classes (to adults) help my resume ? (I'm a college student)

No. If you're skilled enough at a task, you should never give away your time and knowledge for free. Those hours would be better spent doing a semester long paid internship or at least getting a part-time job related to your skill-set. If you're really looking to have an edge, there is no reason why you cannot do both school and work/internship.

...especially if you're going the cyber-security route.

What school are you attending, do they have a Capture the Flag team? Are there any cyber-security events, can you start any clubs?

I'm thinking about getting Network + and Security+(not sure what to get to be honest) but I want to get into cyber security/network admin.

What is there to think about? Do it or don't.

Do both, learn basics of networking technology, the OSI model, protocol stacks, WAN/LAN technology, VPNs, etc in Network+ and all the security basics in Sec+. It won't take long. When I wanted to get on, I got Sec+ and CCNA over the course of two-weeks (self-study, my folks helped with exam fees because they knew I would do whatever it took to get on). Was making 41K with a security clearance a month later. When it's time to move, move.

If you're looking to do Cyber, start with those, get into some coding (Python and C/Assembly depending on how far you want to take it), and start delving into OS internals. Grab debuggers, check out the Assembly tutorials on YouTube. Look into Kali Linux and the Offensive Security certifications. Look at GIAC certifications. Start attending events like DefCon and Black Hat (if you can afford the latter).

There is no excuse these days. You can learn almost anything with YouTube and Torrents, you can find most any software. Any investments you make are well worth it. If you can make yourself into a valuable commodity you will eat. You can work in any number of sectors in any number of countries, you will make decent money, you will find the work challenging and fun, you will never stop learning.
But nothing can give you drive and initiative. :yeshrug:

You're going to fail, you're going to suck at it
for awhile. Get over it and take action.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
CCIE Lab Update
- Version 5 lab exam uses IOS over IOU, so I've long gotten rid of my physical routers and switches. Still have my servers and may put them to use in the near future.
- Focus is on portability and being able to study at libraries, coffee shops, iHop, etc.
- This setup is grab and go, no questions, no prep, I keep everything in an Everlane bag and move. Equipment should never touch my home LAN.
- Have white boards and lab notebooks all over the place too, will likely end up switching to Evernote or Keepnote.

1. Surface Pro 3 (dedicated: for reading, workbooks, and quick diagramming only, no exceptions)
2. Macbook Air (GNS3 and Online Racks only, no exceptions).
3. MX Anywhere 2 is a dope portable mouse (that's why it's pictured).

qHJtsxd.jpg

lrOuZav.jpg

Old Lab:
8650485465_20ee927e35.jpg

I'll update with my reading material and rack info.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
CCIE Lab Update
- Version 5 lab exam uses IOS over IOU, so I've long gotten rid of my physical routers and switches. Still have my servers and may put them to use in the near future.
- Focus is on portability and being able to study at libraries, coffee shops, iHop, etc.
- This setup is grab and go, no questions, no prep, I keep everything in an Everlane bag and move. Equipment should never touch my home LAN.
- Have white boards and lab notebooks all over the place too, will likely end up switching to Evernote or Keepnote.

1. Surface Pro 3 (dedicated: for reading, workbooks, and quick diagramming only, no exceptions)
2. Macbook Air (GNS3 and Online Racks only, no exceptions).
3. MX Anywhere 2 is a dope portable mouse (that's why it's pictured).

qHJtsxd.jpg

lrOuZav.jpg

Old Lab:
8650485465_20ee927e35.jpg

I'll update with my reading material and rack info.
might peep that mouse, I have a wireless magic mouse for my MBP when its hooked to a monitor, may peep your joint for my Windows PC

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Just passed my first cert brehs! First time taking it (ICND1) to get my CCENT

Now onto studying for the ICND2 to get my CCNA

Congrats breh! You don't have the A+ though? Or do you have experience???

What are the chances of making something happen with a CCENT/CCNA? Inquiring minds want to know. :patrice:

Strike-Wun

Lion-O Ritchie
Supporter
Daps
Congrats breh! You don't have the A+ though? Or do you have experience???

What are the chances of making something happen with a CCENT/CCNA? Inquiring minds want to know. :patrice:

Experience, but not much, just 2+ yrs in systems support

Didn't go for a A+ because I have an Assoc, figured that's worth at least an A+ lol, going for the ccna because I've always wanted one and now is the time for me since the business at my previous job went under

SHO-NUFF

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOMETHIN REAL FO YO ASS IN THESE HANDS!!!!
Just finished studying for the NetAcad CCNA part 4 exams tomorrow, now all I gotta do is get my ass to school on time in the morning......
:lupe:

I should be sitting for the ICND 2 late August, then it's on to videogames, and bullshyt for a while.
In January, my instructor is kicking off a CCNA Security course through NetAcad, so I know that's me
Also, somebody turned me onto a 5-day bootcamp that Juniper offers to get certed, once you are CCNA, so Imma definitely get that.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
No. If you're skilled enough at a task, you should never give away your time and knowledge for free. Those hours would be better spent doing a semester long paid internship or at least getting a part-time job related to your skill-set. If you're really looking to have an edge, there is no reason why you cannot do both school and work/internship.

...especially if you're going the cyber-security route.

What school are you attending, do they have a Capture the Flag team? Are there any cyber-security events, can you start any clubs?

What is there to think about? Do it or don't.

Do both, learn basics of networking technology, the OSI model, protocol stacks, WAN/LAN technology, VPNs, etc in Network+ and all the security basics in Sec+. It won't take long. When I wanted to get on, I got Sec+ and CCNA over the course of two-weeks (self-study, my folks helped with exam fees because they knew I would do whatever it took to get on). Was making 41K with a security clearance a month later. When it's time to move, move.

If you're looking to do Cyber, start with those, get into some coding (Python and C/Assembly depending on how far you want to take it), and start delving into OS internals. Grab debuggers, check out the Assembly tutorials on YouTube. Look into Kali Linux and the Offensive Security certifications. Look at GIAC certifications. Start attending events like DefCon and Black Hat (if you can afford the latter).

There is no excuse these days. You can learn almost anything with YouTube and Torrents, you can find most any software. Any investments you make are well worth it. If you can make yourself into a valuable commodity you will eat. You can work in any number of sectors in any number of countries, you will make decent money, you will find the work challenging and fun, you will never stop learning.
But nothing can give you drive and initiative. :yeshrug:

You're going to fail, you're going to suck at it
for awhile. Get over it and take action.

No doubt about Python, I'm taking it this semester. :patrice: I dont know how the internships work for international students :sadcam: