IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
No doubt about Python, I'm taking it this semester. :patrice: I dont know how the internships work for international students :sadcam:
Python is kind of easy to learn at least. Code Academy has a great course

Everyone is free to do what they wish, but for what it's worth...

Taking a Python class is cool, but only if you're going to do something with it. Otherwise, you're wasting time and brain power. If you're looking to really do something in Cybersecurity, Pentesting, Hacking, High-Level Networking, etc. you might want to start off learning a bunch of essential programming concepts and structures.

If you get through a joint like 6.00SC, you'll get a chance to learn Python (recitation videos cover it extensively), actually utilize your knowledge, and then be able to pick up any other programming language in a week or two.

Best part, it's a complete course and it's free. You're actually getting a better experience than MIT students taking the course.

Learning Python is for guys who want to be scripters (dime-a-dozen), learning how to code is for guys who are about that action.

All just my opinion.

Course: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare

Hint: Download and watch the videos at 1.5x the speed using VLC or whatever.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Everyone is free to do what they wish, but for what it's worth...

Taking a Python class is cool, but only if you're going to do something with it. Otherwise, you're wasting time and brain power. If you're looking to really do something in Cybersecurity, Pentesting, Hacking, High-Level Networking, etc. you might want to start off learning a bunch of essential programming concepts and structures.

If you get through a joint like 6.00SC, you'll get a chance to learn Python (recitation videos cover it extensively), actually utilize your knowledge, and then be able to pick up any other programming language in a week or two.

Best part, it's a complete course and it's free. You're actually getting a better experience than MIT students taking the course.

Learning Python is for guys who want to be scripters (dime-a-dozen), learning how to code is for guys who are about that action.

All just my opinion.

Course: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare

Hint: Download and watch the videos at 1.5x the speed using VLC or whatever.

It's part of my Information Technology degree :manny:

I take Python, Java, then C++ I think

Last edited:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
@Kid McNamara what do you recommend for getting into data analytics aside from sql and r

I try not to speak on subjects I'm not familiar with so...

Disclaimer: All of this is based on like an eight-month project I worked on, and I didn't dive too deep into the internals. If you had asked this question prior to that project, I would of thought you were speaking Arabic. That is, take this advice with a grain of salt.

Apache's Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc. are hot in the streets. A working knowledge of Java (the language it's written in), R, Python, and some decent SQL knowledge would be incredibly useful and would turn you into a hot commodity.

Again, limited knowledge in this space. Best thing to do is hit up LinkedIn, Monster, Dice, Ladders, etc. and lookup Hadoop to see what the demand is like. I know that certain positions are offering 150k and this and that, but those are Senior level and you're expected to have experience.

I was thrown on the project as team lead based on my linux, coding, and security knowledge...that is to say, they were desperate for someone with "potential" because the demand was so hot and the available talent so low.

That is to say, I think it's wide open, but again, grain of salt.

If you like what you see, hit up Amazon and look for some books, download some pdfs, or whatever.

Not sure how you can self-study Hadoop, but I'm sure it's possible.

Links:
Welcome to Apache™ Hadoop®!
Apache Hadoop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intro Video:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
@GinaThatAintNoDamnPuppy! And just general advice for everyone looking to switch it up and make a splash.

Don't listen to naysayers online or at your current job. Most people are small-time, jive-talkers. All the more desired positions in tech require some level of specialization, so find what you like/excel at and move.

No need to pay attention to the majority of your co-workers, really, the only one stopping you right now is you.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon or nothing, but take it from someone who has trained in the very same field you plan on going into. you will dabble in command line and command driven input. programming is not separate from IT as you'll learn that every device with a cpu is considered a computer and every computer is considered a 'dumb-machine'. it knows and does absolutely nothing without a program. your OS is a very large and intricate program.

Going any route in IT will cross you into other paths of IT. and you better understand that once you are hired as IT, you will do whatever the CTO/CSO deem is within your qualified realm of knowledge. get out of the mind set that you will only be doing networking/security.

Some security certs (such as the CEH) will not be valid without certain prerequisites being met which is usually time in the field which equals out to experience. and think about this, just for "shyt's and giggles"....

What if you learned a programming language, and were able to code your own security programs? in effect, you would either be making your skills extremely marketable or securing whatever job you had because you have that extra IT skill.

/SoapBox
*Edited due to Spelling and Grammar errors.

I'm assuming you're not in security because the CEH really is a joke. It's a multiple choice exam with 0 hands on experience required. You can pass the CEH without ever having to exploit a single system. The OCSE exam is a legit exam as it requires you to actually compromise a system in a given time frame.

As to the rest of your post, if youre in cyber security you're more than likely not writing your own code. Youre goal is to defend the CIA of your network, not exploit systems.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
p.s. let me ask a question

there are a lot of certs out there in the digital marketing field, some seem a little less-known and under the radar. others are, of course, a big deal and more well known.

how do you decide what certifications to take? do you just take everything you can get your hands on, put it in your linked in profile and hope for the best? i want to apply myself towards some programming / coding certs and digital marketing certs alike, and put them in my profile.

For me I take an exam if itll make me more money or teach me a new skill (that will make me more money).

Go on the job search board and look for web analytics jobs that pay 100k+ and see what certs they're asking for. Once you see the same cert mentioned multiple times, that's the one you go for.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Good luck breh :salute:

After you pass, what you got lined up?
I wanna grab CCNP since I find myself constantly troubleshooting and digging into CCNP level topics that the CCNA material doesn't cover since it's not a requirement for the exam, but a CCNP without experience is :manny:

Probably grab Security+ and MCSA before year's end to round shyt out.. what you think :lupe:

I heard visualization also goes hand in hand with networking got me looking at VMware like :jbhmm:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I wanna grab CCNP since I find myself constantly troubleshooting and digging into CCNP level topics that the CCNA material doesn't cover since it's not a requirement for the exam, but a CCNP without experience is :manny:

Probably grab Security+ and MCSA before year's end to round shyt out.. what you think :lupe:

I heard visualization also goes hand in hand with networking got me looking at VMware like :jbhmm:

Slow down breh :whoa:

First decide where you wanna be. If you wanna do networking focus on the ccnp. If you wanna do Windows shyt get your mcse. If you wanna so security get the cissp.

Security has a lot of overlap so you can do Cisco and windows security on the same project.

Just make sure you specialize. Don't be a jack of all trades. If you enjoy the Cisco side, then keep pushing until you get your CCIE. Cause once you're there your 6 figures for the rest of your life.

Ever since I got my cissp I've been 100k+ ever since.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I try not to speak on subjects I'm not familiar with so...

Disclaimer: All of this is based on like an eight-month project I worked on, and I didn't dive too deep into the internals. If you had asked this question prior to that project, I would of thought you were speaking Arabic. That is, take this advice with a grain of salt.

Apache's Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc. are hot in the streets. A working knowledge of Java (the language it's written in), R, Python, and some decent SQL knowledge would be incredibly useful and would turn you into a hot commodity.

Again, limited knowledge in this space. Best thing to do is hit up LinkedIn, Monster, Dice, Ladders, etc. and lookup Hadoop to see what the demand is like. I know that certain positions are offering 150k and this and that, but those are Senior level and you're expected to have experience.

I was thrown on the project as team lead based on my linux, coding, and security knowledge...that is to say, they were desperate for someone with "potential" because the demand was so hot and the available talent so low.

That is to say, I think it's wide open, but again, grain of salt.

If you like what you see, hit up Amazon and look for some books, download some pdfs, or whatever.

Not sure how you can self-study Hadoop, but I'm sure it's possible.

Links:
Welcome to Apache™ Hadoop®!
Apache Hadoop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intro Video:

I been seeing this a lot, I swear at times its so overwhelming trying to see what new skills to learn

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
I'm assuming you're not in security because the CEH really is a joke. It's a multiple choice exam with 0 hands on experience required. You can pass the CEH without ever having to exploit a single system. The OCSE exam is a legit exam as it requires you to actually compromise a system in a given time frame.

As to the rest of your post, if youre in cyber security you're more than likely not writing your own code. Youre goal is to defend the CIA of your network, not exploit systems.

I'm still not sure how it's legal for EC to carry that name. Worse are the government agencies that continue to validate CEH and CISSP (I have CISSP, just don't see the value).

You can't braindump OSCP, you can't study for it over a weekend, you can't metasploit your way out of it. There's no bootcamp; it's learn the material and then sit your ass in front of two-to-four screens, with six virtual boxes open and thirty google chrome tabs, failing, then thinking, then failing, then succeeding.

...and OSCE. :mjlol:

Sit in front of an LCD looking at Intel x86/64 architecture manuals, trying to understand registers, pouring over assembler for twelve hours...then try and have a normal fukking life afterwards. :camby:

Slow down breh :whoa:

First decide where you wanna be. If you wanna do networking focus on the ccnp. If you wanna do Windows shyt get your mcse. If you wanna so security get the cissp.

Security has a lot of overlap so you can do Cisco and windows security on the same project.

Just make sure you specialize. Don't be a jack of all trades. If you enjoy the Cisco side, then keep pushing until you get your CCIE. Cause once you're there your 6 figures for the rest of your life.

Ever since I got my cissp I've been 100k+ ever since.

I agree, unless someone is truly interested in offensive security. Then again, time could be better spent..

I been seeing this a lot, I swear at times its so overwhelming trying to see what new skills to learn

I mean, lock out the noise and focus on what you feel you're good at.