IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I just accepted a job as a SQL Systems Administrator :banderas: Hang in there breh:francis: stay focused and continue to sharpen your skills and knowledge. I cant stress this enough. Ive been at the helpdesk since 2010. I've tried to get as much expierence as I could from on the job, but u know how folks are when it comes to sharing knowledge and allowing lower positions to get hands on expierence with equipment:mjpls:. Ive spent the last few years watching CBTNugget videos and padding that resume with stuff that Ive picked up from the videos.

I've been on the job hunt all summer for System Admin jobs, had some leads and wasnt a good fit for some. Truth be told, making that jump to System Admin requires a wide net of knowledge and expeirence. You need to be well versed in: Exchange, Server 2008/2012, Active Directory, HyperVisors, Network SAN, server grade hardware and even networking/switching for some roles. But if youre looking to be a network admin/network engineer, all you need to know is switching/routing. If you dont mind praticing in IOS, becoming a network guy is the quickest escape from the helpdesk. :whew:
Thanks breh. Any way you can PM me what your resume looks like? Im thinking my resume needs a major overhaul.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It seems like going the cisco route is the better way to go than Microsoft. I have my MCSA 2012 cert since last October but i havent got any looks yet for a system administrator gig. I was thinking would getting a CCNA get me more looks? Im just trying to get out of helpdesk breh:mjcry:

Here's a tip....if you have the cert but don't have the experience, make sure there's a section on your resume where you list out your technical skills. So if you got your MCSA but you're still doing basic help desk shyt, in the skills section put your proficient in DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, and anything else that was covered on the exam. Make sure its at the top before your work experience.

Once I started doing that I started getting a better response with my resume.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Here's a tip....if you have the cert but don't have the experience, make sure there's a section on your resume where you list out your technical skills. So if you got your MCSA but you're still doing basic help desk shyt, in the skills section put your proficient in DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, and anything else that was covered on the exam. Make sure its at the top before your work experience.

Once I started doing that I started getting a better response with my resume.
You'd say
Tech Skills/knowledgable in
Work Experience
Education/Certs

is the best order for the resume?

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You'd say
Tech Skills/knowledgable in
Work Experience
Education/Certs

is the best order for the resume?
Thats similar to the format that I use:

1. Short paragraph describing how Im a hardworker, quick learner and how my prior experience has afforded me the opportunity to work in a large enterprise, etc etc

2. Few sentences stating my objective: to secure employment @ an innovative company and contribute to the infrastructure team etc etc

3. Technical skills: hardware

4. Technical skills software

5a. Job experience @ current role sorted by technology
5b. Vmware vsphere
5c. Server
5d. Exchange
etc

6. Key contributions (small projects, make up something that youre knowledge about if u dont have anything)

7. Previous jobs and same format as 5a-5d
8. Technicial certs
9. Education

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

1. Short paragraph describing how Im a hardworker, quick learner and how my prior experience has afforded me the opportunity to work in a large enterprise, etc etc

2. Few sentences stating my objective: to secure employment @ an innovative company and contribute to the infrastructure team etc etc

5b. Vmware vsphere
5c. Server
5d. Exchange
etc

6. Key contributions (small projects, make up something that youre knowledge about if u dont have anything)

8. Technicial certs
9. Education
Yea i have a good resume but i need to tailor it to emphasize accomplishments in my career

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Just got an email saying I got approved for my own business. Legal zoom bout to send me these documents. Bout to in game development heavy :shaq:.

I just hope people wanna play my games:sadcam: #supportastarvingdeveloper #keepingmymain #butgotaside lol

What kind of games?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Anybody know if the CASP worth getting?

Easier to fukk Beyonce than qualify for the CISSP so im trying to see what security cert to go for after the Security+

@bdizzle

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
There is no screening. Take the exam, pass, submit your resume and work references, and get another CISSP to endorse you.

Like I said, it's all on the site breh :francis:
You the only other one i know:lupe:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

5b. Vmware vsphere
5c. Server
5d. Exchange
etc

8. Technicial certs
9. Education

1 and 2 is irrelevant. Nobody cares about you being a hard worker or your career objectives, I never understood why people put that on their resume. When a job is posted on those job boards, literally hundreds of resumes come pouring in. I was looking to hire a repair technician for my company and within 3 days I had about 80+ resumes in my inbox, and that was just from craigslist.

They're gonna skim your shyt for 3 seconds then throw it in the bushes if nothing stands out. I've done it myself when hiring people and I've had a bunch of recruiters tell me they do it as well (unless they're desperate to fill a role).

At the very top of your resume list your credentials. Your degree, certification, and technical skills. Within 5 seconds they should be able to tell what you're proficient in without having to scroll down your resume.