IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Would me teaching volunteered IT classes (to adults) help my resume ? (I'm a college student)

Are you going for any compTIA trainer Certs?
I mean, it will look good on your resume but it won't truly benefit you (lol, still teach people. I'm speaking on the addition to the resume) unless you're going for something like Cisco Certified Trainer certs.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Are you going for any compTIA trainer Certs?
I mean, it will look good on your resume but it won't truly benefit you (lol, still teach people. I'm speaking on the addition to the resume) unless you're going for something like Cisco Certified Trainer certs.

I'm thinking about getting Network + and Security+(not sure what to get to be honest) but I want to get into cyber security/network admin.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I'm thinking about getting Network + and Security+(not sure what to get to be honest) but I want to get into cyber security/network admin.
Teaching people will help you look like a knowledgeable individual but it won't truly help you land a net+ or sec+ oriented job. now I could be incorrect, but from what individuals already established in those fields tell me is that they are more concerned with how you handle security or network infrastructure work.

If you want to be a Cisco certified instructor (an individual qualified to teach Cisco related IT information to others) then the addition of volunteer work upon your resume will look better.

Since you said you do not know what to go for, I'd suggest you read up on CompTIA's site which gives a run down on each cert they offer. it can give you a good general overview of what type of IT disciplines there are available.

CompTIA Career Pathways

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
trying to teach myself web analytics, which goes hand in hand with programming (sql, jquery, javascript) so it looks like ill be creeping in this thread.

my highest priority right now is to teach myself these skillsets and take as many relevant cert exams as possible, then show them off in my linkedin profile.

my homie is getting headhunted for 6 figure web analytics jobs right now in linkedin, I want to catch up with the boy so bad.:damn:

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
p.s. let me ask a question

there are a lot of certs out there in the digital marketing field, some seem a little less-known and under the radar. others are, of course, a big deal and more well known.

how do you decide what certifications to take? do you just take everything you can get your hands on, put it in your linked in profile and hope for the best? i want to apply myself towards some programming / coding certs and digital marketing certs alike, and put them in my profile.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Would me teaching volunteered IT classes (to adults) help my resume ? (I'm a college student)

Any experience is worth it when you first start out. This would look better then most people who put 'freelance technician' cause they helped their mother remove a virus once.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
edx.org JUST started a course on R sponsored by Microsoft. I'm enrolled myself

Introduction to R Programming
How does it compare to Code School? I guess I can just try all the free ones and see which one fits best. There are a lot of them

http://r-dir.com/learn/courses.html

I really loved Code Academy's course though. I learned the basics of Python on that but didn't do anything with it. I want something interactive like that. I will try this edx one tonight.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How does it compare to Code School? I guess I can just try all the free ones and see which one fits best. There are a lot of them

http://r-dir.com/learn/courses.html

I really loved Code Academy's course though. I learned the basics of Python on that but didn't do anything with it. I want something interactive like that. I will try this edx one tonight.
how long did code academy take? and how many hrs a day were you dedicating to it?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Contract ends aug 24th, gonna try to study that week and take my Sec+ on the 29th

Got a desktop offer in houston at 22/hr but really looking to something bigger

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
how long did code academy take? and how many hrs a day were you dedicating to it?
Python prob took me like a month... if u really blaze through it though I would say like 2 weeks

Problem is I didn't know how to apply it. I really should have taken that time to learn R

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Python prob took me like a month... if u really blaze through it though I would say like 2 weeks

Problem is I didn't know how to apply it. I really should have taken that time to learn R

To do something practical with Python
www.amazon.com/Automate-Boring-Stuff-Python-Programming/dp/1593275994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438922533&sr=8-1&keywords=automate+python

If you're going to look into R, search amazon and buy a beginner's book that rates decently

Last edited: