IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Well I would say you should know all the skill sets of a BA and be able to speak to each one. A BA, at their core, is someone who can learn about a system (or multiple systems), someone who can work with teams of people from the operations to the technical people and they should know the ecosystem they are working in. These people have to, therefore, have some technical understanding, good technical writing, domain knowledge and teamwork skills. Some places have BAs work as pseudo project managers too...

Some things like technical writing you can learn from a course. Other things make more sense to learn on the job somewhere. All things considered, if you can show these traits you're in good shape.

Nah i know that, not to brush you off and be disrespectful. Im speaking more on tangible skills ie. Learning specific software or certs to add to my portfolio that are worth wild/time/investment. Im getting my masters and plan on tailoring my curriculum around stuff that will keep me relevent, i already work in the industry but it is easy to get comfortable in a gig and become outdated as you are good at what your company does, but may start lacking skillsets that are new/used in the industry but not your job.

rahji

I ain't never seen no talking winning nothing.
Daps
Reppin
Glenlivet
The CBAP is the higher BA cert and there's another from the Intl Inst. of Business Analysts but like the PMP you have a requirement of s number of hours, etc.

I would say no need to learn specific software because a BA can learn any but blueprint requirements center is a good tool to learn the requirements gathering life cycle.

I would join the IIBA and find a local chapter.

If I think of anything else I got u breh

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The CBAP is the higher BA cert and there's another from the Intl Inst. of Business Analysts but like the PMP you have a requirement of s number of hours, etc.

I would say no need to learn specific software because a BA can learn any but blueprint requirements center is a good tool to learn the requirements gathering life cycle.

I would join the IIBA and find a local chapter.

If I think of anything else I got u breh
Thanks, I heard mixed things about the CBAP as some say its a plus and others say its not recognized so no need to stress on it. My main thing is the industry changes so frequently I want to make sure I`m on my A game since you never know what can happen.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I spent the longest undecided about whether or not to pursue IT or programming.

I'm taking my talents to IT :blessed: that's where my best chances lie. I gotta read thru this thread and soak up game, but I'm looking to get my A+ before the holidays. It's been a long time coming :wow:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
:mjlol: no bullshyt breh an average day is me sitting at my cube posting on the coli. I don't do shyt at work 85-95% of the time. I be in my car taking naps and shyt, I'll take 3 hour lunch breaks damn near every day, and I put in an average of 3-5 hours of actually work a week and that's being generous :heh:

thats whats you do when you've paid your dues in IT :salute:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
dont know why it says formers, meant to say others. What are some things you recommend me learning for the resume to make sure I`m competitive in the market?
im a business analyst manager...what you want to know

my 2 cents on what to learn: databases and technical writing...part of my job is writing up requirements and documentation for my client base, people on my team with the stuff they manage, and things for myself in order to streamline the things i do daily on the IT side so my contractors can create them....if you can do that..you can go far as a BA

currently ive been learning stuff like salesforce, hubspot, ect with the intention of creating custom APIs for the web software solution my client uses so data can update and "talk" to each other so to speak...if anything i get to put down i have experience with multiple web applications when i feel its time to shop my talent around

i have a MBA already so i've never really looked into or pursuing a cert within the BA field but maybe sometime in the fall ill do my homework and see what an added cert could for me...my company would prolly pay or reimburse me for it

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps

I'm taking my talents to IT :blessed: that's where my best chances lie. I gotta read thru this thread and soak up game, but I'm looking to get my A+ before the holidays. It's been a long time coming :wow:

You do know programming is under the umbrella of IT?...:mjlol:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Not been in this thread for a while.

Anyway got a new contract with a University who have just implemented Office365 across the board. Never been in a place that is fully in the cloud, no local Exchange or AD. So lots of MSOL and Azure, really happy with this contract as moving into Cloud was my goal. I have strong Powershell skills, so managing O365 and Exchange online is a lot easier.

Whilst I am here def going to go for the O365 cert, my end goal is to get the AWS ones - #CertWhore lol

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London

Programming is IT
:why:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
im a business analyst manager...what you want to know

my 2 cents on what to learn: databases and technical writing...part of my job is writing up requirements and documentation for my client base, people on my team with the stuff they manage, and things for myself in order to streamline the things i do daily on the IT side so my contractors can create them....if you can do that..you can go far as a BA

currently ive been learning stuff like salesforce, hubspot, ect with the intention of creating custom APIs for the web software solution my client uses so data can update and "talk" to each other so to speak...if anything i get to put down i have experience with multiple web applications when i feel its time to shop my talent around

i have a MBA already so i've never really looked into or pursuing a cert within the BA field but maybe sometime in the fall ill do my homework and see what an added cert could for me...my company would prolly pay or reimburse me for it
yea thats the thing I mentioned about getting comfortable in my current role causing my other skills to rust, like in College I worked with databases and stuff via MySQL but in my current role I dont do any hands on Database stuff, so I forgot a lot of stuff (although I can google specifics, and still understand the fundamentals) I just dont feel comfortable listing certain things on my resume anymore as I`m rusty. I do plan on getting into App development as a hobby/side hustle so I know I will be able to put that stuff on my resume, but at times it seems overwhelming how much stuff there is to learn out there that its hard to know where to start/what has the best ROI.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
The point is, I'm going the networking/security cert route :comeon:

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon or nothing, but take it from someone who has trained in the very same field you plan on going into. you will dabble in command line and command driven input. programming is not separate from IT as you'll learn that every device with a cpu is considered a computer and every computer is considered a 'dumb-machine'. it knows and does absolutely nothing without a program. your OS is a very large and intricate program.

Going any route in IT will cross you into other paths of IT. and you better understand that once you are hired as IT, you will do whatever the CTO/CSO deem is within your qualified realm of knowledge. get out of the mind set that you will only be doing networking/security.

Some security certs (such as the CEH) will not be valid without certain prerequisites being met which is usually time in the field which equals out to experience. and think about this, just for "shyt's and giggles"....

What if you learned a programming language, and were able to code your own security programs? in effect, you would either be making your skills extremely marketable or securing whatever job you had because you have that extra IT skill.

/SoapBox
*Edited due to Spelling and Grammar errors.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Would me teaching volunteered IT classes (to adults) help my resume ? (I'm a college student)