IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
@bdizzle as a breh looking into getting in it sec when I finnish my degree what does a normal day look like for you?

:mjlol: no bullshyt breh an average day is me sitting at my cube posting on the coli. I don't do shyt at work 85-95% of the time. I be in my car taking naps and shyt, I'll take 3 hour lunch breaks damn near every day, and I put in an average of 3-5 hours of actually work a week and that's being generous :heh:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: no bullshyt breh an average day is me sitting at my cube posting on the coli. I don't do shyt at work 85-95% of the time. I be in my car taking naps and shyt, I'll take 3 hour lunch breaks damn near every day, and I put in an average of 3-5 hours of actually work a week and that's being generous :heh:
I'm gusseing you only really do work when there is an severity or outage

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I've been on an off for a whole year brah. Between having a kid, full time job, and full time school I didn't have much room to concentrate. Last 3 months was on icnd 2 content though

Breh, don't wait, start doing the CCNP. Knock that shyt out now that you're used to studying. I knocked out the CISSP, CCNA Security, and CCNP Security (4 exams) in like 10 months. Once you get em all you ain't gotta worry bout shyt no more.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pretty much. And I'm good enough so I know how to spot shyt before it happens.

And I'm even better at pawning the work off to someone else :lolbron:
Lol I hated when other teams did that shyt to us. Damn networkteam wanting us to run live tests

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
Breh, don't wait, start doing the CCNP. Knock that shyt out now that you're used to studying. I knocked out the CISSP, CCNA Security, and CCNP Security (4 exams) in like 10 months. Once you get em all you ain't gotta worry bout shyt no more.
Length of exam 6 hours :damn: how did you study for it?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Length of exam 6 hours :damn: how did you study for it?

Bought the Shon Harris book and studied. The exam wasn't even that hard for real, but taking an exam for that long is mentally fukking draining. I finished in 4 hours I think.

Studying for the CCIE though was some other shyt :brehwow:

I was studying 50 hours a week outside of work, and I still was at least 6 months away from even thinking about taking that shyt :mjcry:

Beegio

You ni66as don't exist we eat filet mignon
Daps
Anybody else notice that the cost of living doesnt translate well in IT?:ld:
I was looking at some jobs in San Diego and the salaries were the same as the South:dahell:

A+, Security+, and a security clearance, and you can :eat: in SD. If you're a vet on top of that :banderas:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Pretty much. And I'm good enough so I know how to spot shyt before it happens.

And I'm even better at pawning the work off to someone else :lolbron:

This is pretty much me since I got off helpdesk. :whew:

Basically, outside of occasionally deploying updates/firmware/etc to servers, I really don't have to do much of anything unless something breaks. Otherwise I just delegate shyt to helpdesk to do.

When something breaks though people are on my ass :ufdup:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
A+, Security+, and a security clearance, and you can :eat: in SD. If you're a vet on top of that :banderas:

What about those who can't get a clearance? :patrice:

I'm thinking about getting the Network+ and Security+ to go along with my degree in IT. Would this help me get into cyber security/system engineering?

Last edited:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Brehs can my community college Web programming course match these dudes coming out making bread and making the news?

Dudes coming out making 60k after graduation what I need to know? What can I expect outta my community college?

rahji

I ain't never seen no talking winning nothing.
Daps
Reppin
Glenlivet
dont know why it says formers, meant to say others. What are some things you recommend me learning for the resume to make sure I`m competitive in the market?

Well I would say you should know all the skill sets of a BA and be able to speak to each one. A BA, at their core, is someone who can learn about a system (or multiple systems), someone who can work with teams of people from the operations to the technical people and they should know the ecosystem they are working in. These people have to, therefore, have some technical understanding, good technical writing, domain knowledge and teamwork skills. Some places have BAs work as pseudo project managers too...

Some things like technical writing you can learn from a course. Other things make more sense to learn on the job somewhere. All things considered, if you can show these traits you're in good shape.