IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
@bdizzle

About to take this CCIE (R&S) lab, but I'm thinking I might go back and grab either CCNP Security or CCDP after I finish.

I've avoided the Cisco Security line because the focus seemed a bit Cisco proprietary. Now this is true of all Cisco material, but after taking CCNA Security, I'd had enough of dealing with simulated ASAs and GUIs that...you know...no organization uses in real life.

Question: Is there enough Cisco independent security material to spend time wading through CCNP-Sec or is it a bunch of DMVPN and ASA shyt?
:salute: proud to see coli nikkas not settling for mediocrity and going out here & goin after that expert money. I failed the CCIE Collab lab in May. Getting ready to go back next month.

btw. The best thing Cisco did recently this month was fall back on that bs new re-take policy. They changed it last year so that if you failed more than twice you'd have to wait 90 days in between each attempt then 180 after 4th. You can take every 30 days now if you have to until December. Keep pushing bruh. If you fail go right back immediately. When you fail it sucks knowing you just paid $1600 for a lunch but once you finally pass. the opportunities :banderas:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
:salute: proud to see coli nikkas not settling for mediocrity and going out here & goin after that expert money. I failed the CCIE Collab lab in May. Getting ready to go back next month.

btw. The best thing Cisco did recently this month was fall back on that bs new re-take policy. They changed it last year so that if you failed more than twice you'd have to wait 90 days in between each attempt then 180 after 4th. You can take every 30 days now if you have to until December. Keep pushing bruh. If you fail go right back immediately. When you fail it sucks knowing you just paid $1600 for a lunch but once you finally pass. the opportunities :banderas:

Lets get it. Update the thread when you pass my dude :salute:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year

Also, let me know if you want to create a Google hangout and work on some labs.0

This goes for anybody working through Cisco material.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
congrats. how long did it take you to pass and how did you go about studying for it? I plan on getting that Cert next
I've been on an off for a whole year brah. Between having a kid, full time job, and full time school I didn't have much room to concentrate. Last 3 months was on icnd 2 content though

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
So I'm doing my BS in IT right now. I want to be a jr. network engineer after college should I skip the basic certs (A+) and go for the CCNA or....?

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
So I'm doing my BS in IT right now. I want to be a jr. network engineer after college should I skip the basic certs (A+) and go for the CCNA or....?
I'm doing the exact same degree and I didn't bother with an A+. If you can land an entry level helpdesk position then that will usually supplant an A+

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I'm doing the exact same degree and I didn't bother with an A+. If you can land an entry level helpdesk position then that will usually supplant an A+

what certs do you planning on getting? Our school pushes for certs (mainly Comptia) since there's a lot of competition for jobs in the DMV area

Last edited:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
How do you move from tech support to actual IT? Do you just keep moving up the tech support tiers?

AlwaysLurkin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying to go back to school....is a cisco network cert worth doing,also a cert in cyber security?I really don't know shyt about either,help would be appreciated