IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
CCIE is good everywhere breh. Once you get it you're pretty much set. I don't have mine and I've been hit up for jobs in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. I've had positions come across my email paying 200k+ a year. You can even hit 3-400k a year if you know how to hustle right, but we'll save that for another convo :mjpls:

I love Atlanta and the market is pretty good for a city this size. I haven't had any problems finding work, but I have a pretty strong resume and 10 years of experience.

Yea. This paired with my CISSP, I'm about to feast out here.

My current position has allowed me flex, a lot of people going for me. Little do they know... :sas1:

Bout to keep logged off thecoli, switch my chrome profile and finish strong for this October date.

Might see you in the ATL one day my dude. :salute:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Yea. This paired with my CISSP, I'm about to feast out here.

My current position has allowed me flex, a lot of people going for me. Little do they know... :sas1:

Bout to keep logged off thecoli, switch my chrome profile and finish strong for this October date.

Might see you in the ATL one day my dude. :salute:

I got my CISSP too, been eating lovely out here. But I'm not gonna lie I'm ready for a career change, getting tired of IT :wow:

I just wanna lay on a beach all day with some scotch, a blunt, and some good food :mjcry:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
I got my CISSP too, been eating lovely out here. But I'm not gonna lie I'm ready for a career change, getting tired of IT :wow:

I just wanna lay on a beach all day with some scotch, a blunt, and some good food :mjcry:

The Goal. :myman:

See I was just in the same boat...damn, when I come back, we gon chop it up my dude.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Wassup brehs? I got my A+ cert awhile back and came to the conclusion that I don't wanna enter the networking side of things. I'm really interested in Web development and building platforms. What skills would I need to build a website like youtube (a video and streaming site) and maintain it?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Wassup brehs? I got my A+ cert awhile back and came to the conclusion that I don't wanna enter the networking side of things. I'm really interested in Web development and building platforms. What skills would I need to build a website like youtube (a video and streaming site) and maintain it?

start with HTML and CSS first.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

This really isn't my forte but it sounds like you want to be a full stack web developer. You're gonna need to know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, a programming language(Python, Ruby), a DBMS(PostgreSQL, MariaDB/MySQL), and an OS to deploy all this stuff(Linux based, typically CentOS or Ubuntu Server using nginx or apache).

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
shocked to see no one going after cloud certs... azure or aws... the days of being an onsite admin (in any discipline, networks, virt, storage, compute etc) has an extremely short fuse

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

There are typically two sides to web development, which is front-end and then there is server-side. Full-stack developers do both front-end and server-side development.

To start off, you'll have to learn HTML and CSS, which was suggested, but you can only make static pages. You then need to pick up Javascript to round off your front-end development. After you have the front-end wrapped up, then you need to deal with the server-side in order to actually start serving content. You could do Javascript on the server-side with Node.js, but I don't recommend that for someone who is beginning on server-side development. PIck up Ruby and try OnRails.. or if you like C# better, you could do asp.net mvc 5.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
There are typically two sides to web development, which is front-end and then there is server-side. Full-stack developers do both front-end and server-side development.

To start off, you'll have to learn HTML and CSS, which was suggested, but you can only make static pages. You then need to pick up Javascript to round off your front-end development. After you have the front-end wrapped up, then you need to deal with the server-side in order to actually start serving content. You could do Javascript on the server-side with Node.js, but I don't recommend that for someone who is beginning on server-side development. PIck up Ruby and try OnRails.. or if you like C# better, you could do asp.net mvc 5.
Thanks. Is there any software where I could practice?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
Thanks. Is there any software where I could practice?
If you go the cloud server route, this tut will help you set one up quickly. He has a ton of other tuts on different topics.

Also here's another source for learning html/css Shay Howe's site I learned alot from it.
Learn to Code HTML & CSS
One more thing, if you want to see what you can do with css and learn some new tricks this site is cool. CSS Design Awards - Website Awards & Inspiration - CSS Gallery - CSSDA

Last edited: