IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
What issues?

1. I have not been able to print labels since I got anew computer. It does not provide me with the label size option that I need and I am unable to do so manually

2. I cannot print legal size paper, the option is chosen however the document prints on the regular sized paper instead. The feeder is not taking in the paper;

3. Sometimes when I print a document my computer buffers. “locating printer” sometimes pops up on the screen. Also if the chosen document prints it does so approximately 25-30 seconds after I clicked print;

4. The chosen documents don’t always print, when I want to print a document the memo page prints instead. When this happens the designated document does not print; and

5. Unable to print envelopes. The following issues occur: 1. The “print” button is greyed out making the envelope unavailable for printing 2. The envelope does not get sucked in by the feeder which for some reason provokes the printer to flash the orange light presenting either an error or jam 2 of which should not be happening. 3. If the envelope gets sucked into the feeder the memo page prints on it.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
1. I have not been able to print labels since I got anew computer. It does not provide me with the label size option that I need and I am unable to do so manually

2. I cannot print legal size paper, the option is chosen however the document prints on the regular sized paper instead. The feeder is not taking in the paper;

3. Sometimes when I print a document my computer buffers. “locating printer” sometimes pops up on the screen. Also if the chosen document prints it does so approximately 25-30 seconds after I clicked print;

4. The chosen documents don’t always print, when I want to print a document the memo page prints instead. When this happens the designated document does not print; and

5. Unable to print envelopes. The following issues occur: 1. The “print” button is greyed out making the envelope unavailable for printing 2. The envelope does not get sucked in by the feeder which for some reason provokes the printer to flash the orange light presenting either an error or jam 2 of which should not be happening. 3. If the envelope gets sucked into the feeder the memo page prints on it.

Woah, I didn't know there was a 2013 verison

Daps
I applied for a job and got an email about moving forward with my application. In the email, they asked me about salary. I said 46k-54k. They indicated that the max salary was 45k and asked me if I was still interested. I said I was. That was days ago. I think I blew it.
:francis:

I went a little high with the salary because the job ad indicated that there'd be only one tech on-site.
Dont fall into the trap. Dont talk money so early on. If they were so set on a number they would have put it in the description. Always have them say a number first. Otherwise you will be likely capped to the lower end of the range you mention.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dont fall into the trap. Dont talk money so early on. If they were so set on a number they would have put it in the description. Always have them say a number first. Otherwise you will be likely capped to the lower end of the range you mention.
I only talk about money when they ask. What should I have said when they asked me about salary? "It's fully negotiable" without giving a number?

Daps
I only talk about money when they ask. What should I have said when they asked me about salary? "It's fully negotiable" without giving a number?

"What is most important to me is that i find the right role and a great company. If i find that, then i'm sure we will be able to work out fair compensation."

Again, they do that to put themselves in better negotiating position. You want to be in the better position. If they go through the entire hiring process and make an offer, best believe they dont want to go through it again with other people. Its easier for them to match your salary request then wait a few more weeks to find the right person. Plus, how do you know what is fair compensation until you have gone through the hiring process, understand the role, benefits and other factors. You are interviewing them to. And depending on how that process unfolds, maybe you want more. Or, maybe its perfect and you would accept less. But there is no way you can determine that before interviewing. And if they press, explain that.

Lastly, only talk compensation. If you get to that point, dont tell your salary or compare salary, compare total compensation. I might make 65k in salary, but my total compensation might be closer to 80k. I would prefer to use that number. Will help you negotiate.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Plus, how do you know what is fair compensation until you have gone through the hiring process, understand the role, benefits and other factors. You are interviewing them to. And depending on how that process unfolds, maybe you want more. Or, maybe its perfect and you would accept less. But there is no way you can determine that before interviewing. And if they press, explain that.
This makes a lot of sense. I'll use this advice in the future, thanks. Honestly, the job from my original post was one that I would've taken for the same salary I'm getting now.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of places, I should hear something next week. I'm really tired of my current job.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"What is most important to me is that i find the right role and a great company. If i find that, then i'm sure we will be able to work out fair compensation."

Again, they do that to put themselves in better negotiating position. You want to be in the better position. If they go through the entire hiring process and make an offer, best believe they dont want to go through it again with other people. Its easier for them to match your salary request then wait a few more weeks to find the right person. Plus, how do you know what is fair compensation until you have gone through the hiring process, understand the role, benefits and other factors. You are interviewing them to. And depending on how that process unfolds, maybe you want more. Or, maybe its perfect and you would accept less. But there is no way you can determine that before interviewing. And if they press, explain that.

Lastly, only talk compensation. If you get to that point, dont tell your salary or compare salary, compare total compensation. I might make 65k in salary, but my total compensation might be closer to 80k. I would prefer to use that number. Will help you negotiate.
You said something then...I keep taking the salary expectations bait. I had a recruiter mention $85k one day, then circle back around 24 hours later saying that $75k-80K may be the max. He mentioned that the hiring manager refuses to give candidates more than ~15% pay increases and the talks will fall through if Im not willing to accept that range ..wtf does what I currently make have to do with what this job is worth:stopitslime:. Def will keep this in mind as I continue my job search

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Any of you brehs know any thing about chase tech ops technicans? I just landed a gig there but I can't find any insight on glassdoor about this position

what was the requirements and what state you in?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
been thinking for a long time about getting my real estate license. i would need to switch jobs if i do this part time until i can build up my clout, but if any of yall sell real estate, tell me you story - how many hours a day do you work? prefer buyers or sellers? how do you handle health insurance, retirement, etc? how did you get picked up by a brokerage?