IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
you recommend self study or paying for it at a local CC for entry level workers? I have a A

I've done self study for everything. I have my CISSP and CCNP Security. I was getting ready to take my CCIE security lab exam but I realized I don't want to be in IT anymore.

And FYI getting big money is not just about having the right certs. Certs are a marketing tool effectively. You also need to have the right experience. Right now me knowing powershell is what allowed me to make the amount of bread that I'm making right now.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just failed the 801..

I'm so sick right now.

I failed the A+ the first time I took it breh. shyt I passed the CCNA, let it expired, then failed it 2 times in a row :heh:

I've also failed while going for my CCNP Security.

Failure is part of the experience breh. Just make sure you're buying exam vouchers on those tests to save money. Also look out for second chance deals. Sometimes they have those.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
thing is I want time to earn the degree in information tech, how shoulld I go about getting the experince?

Get a entry level job help desk tech support job and go from there. If you're just starting out don't even worry about the cissp. Get your A+, CCNA, and some Microsoft certs first.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
fukking Security+ Test Today, Thought It Was Thursday:snoop:

Gonna Have To Get A New Voucher :francis:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Easy/best way to learn. Download any Linux distribution(I recommend SUSE )and Delete windows. This will force you to learn it. Use it for everything.

If you really want to be hardcore/expert. Use the command line for everything. I know some people who don't even use xwindows(the GUI ). Their screen looks like a Dos prompt 24/7.
Thanks man, downloading now about to get into it. What flavor of Linux would be the server equivalent of what Windows Server is to Windows 7/XP/8..redhat?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Thanks man, downloading now about to get into it. What flavor of Linux would be the server equivalent of what Windows Server is to Windows 7/XP/8..redhat?

I'm not in the Linux world like that anymore( use to be into it heavy when I was a teenager) and I know now they have some distro's that are geared more towards the desktop like Ubuntu. But really any favor can be used as a server.

During the installation, they give you the option of what to install and If you miss something you can always grab what you need off the net.

Linux has always been a server/programmers OS first and desktop OS second.

I forgot to add, you can als look into CentOS which is the unsupported version of Red Hat's OS. Most companies that use Linux use Red Hat or SUSE from what I've seen.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
I've never had a company ask for any of my numbers, and I've worked all over.

I've worked mainly with the military/govt the past decade. They will always demand proof of your certs and keep them on record. Most of those jobs demand you have certs anyway. Civilian jobs, maybe not so much.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I've done self study for everything. I have my CISSP and CCNP Security. I was getting ready to take my CCIE security lab exam but I realized I don't want to be in IT anymore.

And FYI getting big money is not just about having the right certs. Certs are a marketing tool effectively. You also need to have the right experience. Right now me knowing powershell is what allowed me to make the amount of bread that I'm making right now.

I need to get into It I'm wasting time doing non it shyt. You think the cans can be had in a month? I'm almost finished with the ccent book.

Also entry level skills, who has ones should be listed on the resume? Aiming for help desk jobs or desktop support jobs. Pc repair or printer technician.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I need to get into It I'm wasting time doing non it shyt. You think the cans can be had in a month? I'm almost finished with the ccent book.

Also entry level skills, who has ones should be listed on the resume? Aiming for help desk jobs or desktop support jobs. Pc repair or printer technician.

It depends on you. Some people can do it in a month, some in 6 months. Just make a schedule, have a plan and stick with it.

Go on the job search boards and look for 10 entry level jobs you're interested and see what skills they're looking for, then put those on your resume.