IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Im going for it . A+ aint shyt , I was learning that in jail . The shyt Im interested in is the CCNA and network stuff. I got a certification in Cisco Copper Network Cabling. I remember constructing coaxial cables,twisted pair, RJ 45 , etc and troubleshooting em with this damn device that looked like a bomb. I know it was some beginner networking type shyt because I remember peer , node , client ,hub etc . That was back in 2011 and I forgot some of it so Imma need a refresher. Im might take the A+ within 45 days

Im in, all I need is like 4 rack a month and Im good :myman:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Im going for it . A+ aint shyt , I was learning that in jail . The shyt Im interested in is the CCNA and network stuff. I got a certification in Cisco Copper Network Cabling. I remember constructing coaxial cables,twisted pair, RJ 45 , etc and troubleshooting em with this damn device that looked like a bomb. I know it was some beginner networking type shyt because I remember peer , node , client ,hub etc . That was back in 2011 and I forgot some of it so Imma need a refresher. Im might take the A+ within 45 days

Im in, all I need is like 4 rack a month and Im good :myman:

You gotta record breh? I'm asking cause you said you was in jail.

But unless you already got experience id recommend you getting your A+ first, then get your CCNA.

Paul Phoenix

Banned
Daps
How long is the exam and what should I study the most cause this binary shyt has me stressing just key things to study

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Dont fall into the trap. Dont talk money so early on. If they were so set on a number they would have put it in the description. Always have them say a number first. Otherwise you will be likely capped to the lower end of the range you mention.

Great advice. Damn near needs its own thread. The company always has a number in mind and if you go way over their offer ( say by 10K ). You can almost forget it. Reason why? They think you are going to leave as soon as you find a job willing to pay you what you want.

Edit: I forgot to mention this also highly depends on the type of position. If it's. Entry level, I don't see much wiggle room. If it's a position where they require you to have 7+ years of experience, they are a lot more open to giving you what you want.

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Looks like it may be time to learn Linux. Anybody got exp? I wanted to know where to start

Easy/best way to learn. Download any Linux distribution(I recommend SUSE )and Delete windows. This will force you to learn it. Use it for everything.

If you really want to be hardcore/expert. Use the command line for everything. I know some people who don't even use xwindows(the GUI ). Their screen looks like a Dos prompt 24/7.

Last edited:

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Easy/best way to learn. Download any Linux distribution(I recommend SUSE )and Delete windows. This will force you to learn it. Use it for everything.

If you really want to be hardcore/expert. Use the command line for everything. I know some people who don't even use xwindows(the GUI ). Their screen looks like a Dos prompt 24/7.

+rep, that's how I learned. That shyt will be HARD at first if you are coming straight from using Windows based OS, but sticking with it yields such a great deal of knowledge into how computers really work.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
You said something then...I keep taking the salary expectations bait. I had a recruiter mention $85k one day, then circle back around 24 hours later saying that $75k-80K may be the max. He mentioned that the hiring manager refuses to give candidates more than ~15% pay increases and the talks will fall through if Im not willing to accept that range ..wtf does what I currently make have to do with what this job is worth:stopitslime:. Def will keep this in mind as I continue my job search

If you not desperate for a job I'd give that position the :camby:, you don't want to work for an organization that will fight you over $5000 in compensation

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe

But unless you already got experience id recommend you getting your A+ first, then get your CCNA.

Yeah i was a juvenile (thank GOD) . All the jobs that ran my record , it came back clean . Thats coo . Yup A+ is first to knock out, thats what Im on right now

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Yeah i was a juvenile (thank GOD) . All the jobs that ran my record , it came back clean . Thats coo . Yup A+ is first to knock out, thats what Im on right now

Ok cool. If you can, try to get it expunged if possible. That way if you go for any federal jobs that'll really dig in your ass, nothing will come up.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell

you recommend self study or paying for it at a local CC for entry level workers? I have a A

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I lied about working for a company once and even had a friend play as my supervisor and it went all bad. they did a background check and didn't see anything about it on my record and withdrew their offer so be careful if you go that route.

you should just write that you were self-employed and got work from family, friends, ads you posted on craigslist and word of mouth.

:heh: breh you don't make up shyt about jobs you never worked at.