IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
How did you fail the test ? :dwillhuh:

Well, I was too cheap. I should have spent more money on a wider variety of study materials. I did the majority of my studying reading professor Messer's 801 pdf file thinking that would be enough. It wasn't. I started out with Mike Myers' A+ book, read through that just to find it had a lot of information I didn't need. I'm trying to learn about the different display types and Myers is trying to teach me about light and wavelengths :stopitslime:. Too much info.

The biggest mistake though was not doing any practice tests. I couldn't find any free ones online so I said forget it.

I think I'm gonna buy the gts learning pack and study with that. They have practice exams and it seems like their information is a lot more concentrated than the book I was reading.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Well, I was too cheap. I should have spent more money on a wider variety of study materials. I did the majority of my studying reading professor Messer's 801 pdf file thinking that would be enough. It wasn't. I started out with Mike Myers' A+ book, read through that just to find it had a lot of information I didn't need. I'm trying to learn about the different display types and Myers is trying to teach me about light and wavelengths :stopitslime:. Too much info.

The biggest mistake though was not doing any practice tests. I couldn't find any free ones online so I said forget it.

I think I'm gonna buy the gts learning pack and study with that. They have practice exams and it seems like their information is a lot more concentrated than the book I was reading.

Practice Exam isn't going to be enough, breh. Used a computer with Window 7 to practice configuring the utilities, features, securing folders, mobile device wifi, and network so that you can perform well on the simulators. Here's a link that has the latest dump for all related IT exam.

Some of the dumps in exam collection has a few simulations that will be on the test.

Don't wait to long to take the test again, because the test get updated and the question would be different than the exam that you have recently taken.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Anybody here have experience with Epic? I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread.
I just got an email from an Epic recruiter..:lupe:

Sounds too good to be true.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Anybody here have experience with Epic? I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread.
I just got an email from an Epic recruiter..:lupe:

Sounds too good to be true.
I got an email from them when I was graduating 4 yrs ago, I read up on it and it seems they go after fresh grads. From what I saw its a TERRIBLE job that doesn't pay well, and has a high turnover rate,which is why they go after new grads, it is something to put on the resume though. Forgive me if this aint the same company, but just google them, because I could have it mixed up with something else, but I`m pretty sure thats them.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
What y'all security brehs know about the eCPPT? I hear it's good hands on training for pen testing

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Word...Good luck!

Security is exciting and interesting, the threat landscape changes daily and there is always something new to learn and do.

Like I said, my next step is the OSCP, which is very technical and hands on.
Jumping point after that (along with real world experience of course) is 6 figures working at a pen testing firm.
So I am about to take the CEH next and I want to get into pen testing, I was looking at the OSCP but while searching I saw a lot of people talkin about the eCPPT being a great training tool.. Have you heard of it? Should I jump from CEH straight to one of these certs or should I take a course in Linux first?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
FINALLY started studying for my Security+, easiest of the 3 so far. These modules just long as shyt, may have to push Friday test back

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
depends on what you plan to use em for

Programming, I have a MAcbook Pro, but I hear running Windows via Virtual Machine isn't all that great when you get into extensive work. I know I could run Bootcamp, but kinda just want to have a separate Windows machine to avoid all hassles. I saw this at Best buy and seemed like a good price as it was loaded with Ram and the AMD A10 is supposed to be the equivalent to an i5 processor (albeit less powerful).
New! Asus - 15.6" Laptop - AMD A10-Series - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Gray

Also saw this for 329
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15...lack/6374138.p?id=1219661390049&skuId=6374138

this 6gb ram, and an intel i3 processor

spoiled

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Programming, I have a MAcbook Pro, but I hear running Windows via Virtual Machine isn't all that great when you get into extensive work. I know I could run Bootcamp, but kinda just want to have a separate Windows machine to avoid all hassles. I saw this at Best buy and seemed like a good price as it was loaded with Ram and the AMD A10 is supposed to be the equivalent to an i5 processor (albeit less powerful).
New! Asus - 15.6" Laptop - AMD A10-Series - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Gray

Also saw this for 329
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15...lack/6374138.p?id=1219661390049&skuId=6374138

this 6gb ram, and an intel i3 processor
Just run windows on bootcamp, it's no hassle. I installed windows on two of my friends mac saving money for them from buying another laptop. It runs perfect, no problems at all.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just run windows on bootcamp, it's no hassle. I installed windows on two of my friends mac saving money for them from buying another laptop. It runs perfect, no problems at all.

I assume it runs better than a virtual machine since it using the Macs full hardware resources and not allocated resources? Also I assume there are no issues when it comes to drivers for using things like printers and such?