IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:blessed:

I think I'm ready to get into code or even security full time.

I can't deal with face to face user interaction anymore, at least not for most of the day. I thought that's what I wanted to do but nah :scust: for a few reasons.
after working helpdesk i never want to deal with users other the phone on a day to day basis. shyt is woat

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
c72b94a39549ad21bd5ce96081ff00ae.jpeg
:russ:This picture had me rolling breh

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what was typical day at helpdesk for you and did it pay good?
I dont live in the US but the pay was ok luckily it was business to business so the users still kept it professional. the stuff was not too hard basic shyt you can find the answer on google, once in a while you got something which was harder than usual. I was there for a year going back to uni to get a degree this year. My recommendation is if you are going to work helpdesk is to work on your certs ASAP if you dont have a degree. You dont want to get stuck working helpdesk forever 1-1.5 years max i'd say, working directly with end users is not something you want to be doing for long

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
after working helpdesk i never want to deal with users other the phone on a day to day basis. shyt is woat
yeah I hated helpdesk when I used to do it, came across all types of people, I'm about 6-7 years removed from it now. It built up my communication skills and etc but I doubt I could do it/go back to it and be happy.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah I hated helpdesk when I used to do it, came across all types of people, I'm about 6-7 years removed from it now. It built up my communication skills and etc but I doubt I could do it/go back to it and be happy.
everyone should ALWAYS have an exit plan god willing i never have to go back to helpdeks either. My whole plan from the beginning was gaining experience and boucing after a year or so , i left work a month or so ago and could not find a better job and said fukk it im going back to school. a couple of people who i worked with had been working helpdesk for years and i was like :what:. But now looking back it's very easy to get comfortable ect, so my advice to anyone working helpdesk is start looking up certs and get them so they can take you to the next level in your career NEVER get comfortable and always be on the look for a new move

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

everyone should ALWAYS have an exit plan god willing i never have to go back to helpdeks either. My whole plan from the beginning was gaining experience and boucing after a year or so , i left work a month or so ago and could not find a better job and said fukk it im going back to school. a couple of people who i worked with had been working helpdesk for years and i was like :what:. But now looking back it's very easy to get comfortable ect, so my advice to anyone working helpdesk is start looking up certs and get them so they can take you to the next level in your career NEVER get comfortable and always be on the look for a new move

Yeah, helpdesk is for the birds. Unfortunately I got out of school right in the middle of the recession so I was stuck there for a while. Like 4-5 years. :smh:

Escaped before I hit 30 though. :whew:

If I was still doing that in my 30s I'd be :mjcry:

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
some simulation questions, then multiple choice. they hit me with 8 sims :pachaha: had to configure a SOHO, some IDE drives, etc etc
How long did you study for? I take the exam next month.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
How long did you study for? I take the exam next month.

i put some decent time into it breh. there's a fair amnt of material, and the amount of little things like bus speeds and shyt will take some time.

definitely peep Professor Messer's videos on yt

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
i put some decent time into it breh. there's a fair amnt of material, and the amount of little things like bus speeds and shyt will take some time.

definitely peep Professor Messer's videos on yt

The funny thing is you'll almost never use that kinda stuff in the real world. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to worry about COM ports or IRQ requests or the # of pins a VGA cable has. :heh:

If you can take a computer apart and put it back together without trouble, and you know what to do when a user calls in saying they're getting a blue screen or can't print then you'll be fine in an entry-level IT job.