IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
vpn problems worst :usure: those were easy as fukk either it's client related or it's account related. The worst was when they was connected to vpn and you couldn't connect or solve the issue so they had to go to an office to use it's network and they were 6 hours away from an office:camby:

and how many clients( we supported people with personal computers) wanted to hear about

- Missing patches
- It's not VPN, its your home system.
- You need an anti-virus protection before you can connect.

I don't want to get into our field adjusters who would connect at random car repair shops. It was never about the technical problem itself,It was the fact that those type of calls brought out the worse in Users( "I have work to do", " I need to get on right now") etc.

I remember one lady who called up and said she couldn't connect, comes to find out she was trying to connect on a MAC , which we didn't support. bytch went crazy " I just spent $3,000 on this computer"...:snoop:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a couple of folks said in here that they enjoyed doing helpdesk but yeah i see what you're saying i'm in school for a PC techinical support certification so i want a little insight into the field
it's hard to say a lot depends what kind of company you work for i know some companies especially bigger companies will restrict you with what you can do. if it's a SMB if lucky you will even be able to do second level stuff

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
a couple of folks said in here that they enjoyed doing helpdesk but yeah i see what you're saying i'm in school for a PC techinical support certification so i want a little insight into the field

Breh just treat it as an initiation...lol.. Unless you decide to become a programmer, most likely you are going to start there.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Breh just treat it as an initiation...lol.. Unless you decide to become a programmer, most likely you are going to start there.

Pretty much.

Nobody anywhere is just gonna let some kid with no experience into the server room. Unless you're one of the few people who started in an IT development program out of college or know the right person you pretty much have to start at the bottom. Hell, I started out in a call center telling people to reset their modem. It is what it is...just don't get too complacent.

Start on helpdesk and try to work your way up. Get a few years of experience, and if there's no room to move up you might need to bounce. A lateral career move (where you take a new position at another company that pays the same) is worth it if you learn more and have more opportunity to move up. :manny:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't really know what to do next. I've got about a year of help desk experience and I'm ready for a new job.

I applied for an entry level network engineer job... and actually got a response. But I have to take an evaluation test in a couple of weeks before I can interview for it. It's all CCNA stuff! I don't have a CCNA, so I've been studying every day after work for it. They even gave me a list of topics that are going to be on this thing. The email said I needed to get 90% on it to qualify for an interview.

Meanwhile, I keep looking at job listings and all I think is about how I should've been getting certs over this past year. This job doesn't teach me anything; I'm a glorified delivery boy.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
So I've been self studying for the last two months and I think I'm about ready to get this A+ cert. I just have a few questions..

1. Where can I find the cheapest exam vouchers?

2. Where are some good free practice exams?

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I was working through the compTIA A+ textbook but got discouraged cause I don't have a pc an the book says I need to have one. I have laptops but don't have money for a pc right now. Does anyone have suggestions on how to overcome this problem. Is it really THAT necessary?

Also the way I've been studying is reading the book then writing down parts that I think are important. I was a dumbass in school so I'm not really good at studying. Does anyone have any tips on how to study? Or what did you guys do, specifically, to get ready for the test. Thanks if anyone responds, I really need to get out of my current job.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Okay after I take my A+ Cert test I'm thinking about getting two other certs. What should they be in? I'm looking for something that can help me get me on.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone have any tips on how to study?

Remove distractions. Watch any basketball? Jimmy Butler took his game to a new level this year; he said he cut the TV/internet to his house, so all he did was play basketball all summer and work on his skills.

It's no different. I'm not really disciplined myself, if I really need to absorb information I remove myself from my apartment, leave my phone at home and go study at a library for a couple of hours.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Remove distractions. Watch any basketball? Jimmy Butler took his game to a new level this year; he said he cut the TV/internet to his house, so all he did was play basketball all summer and work on his skills.

It's no different. I'm not really disciplined myself, if I really need to absorb information I remove myself from my apartment, leave my phone at home and go study at a library for a couple of hours.
I might have to buy the physical copy of the book so I don't read it on the computer. Thanks.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Okay after I take my A+ Cert test I'm thinking about getting two other certs. What should they be in? I'm looking for something that can help me get me on.

Right now I'd just say get maybe your A+/Network+ and start applying for helpdesk jobs. I probably wouldn't bother with any higher level certs until you get some experience under your belt.

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Man, I hate that shyt when you start talking it up with a hiring manager in regards to a job, they inquire about your background, think you might be a good fit for an opening they have..ask for you to submit your resume.

.........and then never reply when you follow up inquiring.

Feels bad bros, would've been a huge leap for me if I'd gotten that job.

A no or something to that nature would've been cool.