IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
@acri1 just passed my A+ 801, thanks for the advice brav :blessed:
I passed the 801 certmaster study program comptia uses, but want to volunteer with some hands on work for a few weeks before I take the exam.

What was the exam like? multiple choice? I'm always hearing people talk about a simulator of some sorts??

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I passed the 801 certmaster study program comptia uses, but want to volunteer with some hands on work for a few weeks before I take the exam.

What was the exam like? multiple choice? I'm always hearing people talk about a simulator of some sorts??
some simulation questions, then multiple choice. they hit me with 8 sims :pachaha: had to configure a SOHO, some IDE drives, etc etc

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
some simulation questions, then multiple choice. they hit me with 8 sims :pachaha: had to configure a SOHO, some IDE drives, etc etc

I cant even find a picture of the simulator online :sadcam: Do they give you a picture with numbered labels, and you need to match it to a picture? I'm just trying to have a somewhat idea of the format.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I cant even find a picture of the simulator online :sadcam: Do they give you a picture with numbered labels, and you need to match it to a picture? I'm just trying to have a somewhat idea of the format.
it varies from question to question.

just know your shyt breh, and you should be fine.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
What is a good associate's degree to get for someone who wants to get into Cybersecurity?
And how difficult is it from someone who knows nothing about networks or anything like that to go from 0-100 and get these certs?

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Also, I'm considering going into the Army national guard as a cyber soldier (:francis:), get the experience and certs and maybe get into federal work. Does this sound like a solid plan or nah?

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life

Visit Professormesser.com and go to Examcollection.com to download the dumb for answers that are going to be on the test. I took the 801 and it was easy. There are going to be about 8 simulation. If you pass the pass the practice exam with ease, then you are already for the 801. It's the 802 that you need to really study and pay close attention to security and computer network.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Also, I'm considering going into the Army national guard as a cyber soldier (:francis:), get the experience and certs and maybe get into federal work. Does this sound like a solid plan or nah?

Yes, it is very hard to get into security without high end certs (CISSP, SANS related) and/or experience. IMO, the best security engineers have in depth coding knowledge and well versed in network/system administration.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

My professor told us government jobs prefer to see degrees over certs :manny:

She was a contractor herself

Daps
What is a good associate's degree to get for someone who wants to get into Cybersecurity?
And how difficult is it from someone who knows nothing about networks or anything like that to go from 0-100 and get these certs?

Nothing. But if you can convert that to a BS at some point it will be beneficial. THere really arent entry level security roles so you have to learn your foundation skills at some point and work you way up will experience and certs.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Can y'all help me with this questions. I don't know what to do :lupe:

2. Imagine a "file-based/static/pre-computed" type dictionary attack for cracking all the words in a language of 100,000 words. Suppose, when utilized as passwords, these are hashed as-is (unsalted), and the result then stored. To attack this, the cracker creates his dictionary in advance by 1) hashing all 100,000 words from a to z, then 2) re-sorting his dictionary on the hashes. Then, given a hashed password to crack, he simply looks it up and there he finds the original, plaintext password.

Without salt:
a) the number of different ways a password can come out if hashed with a standard algorithm (e.g. sha1) using no salt, is ____.
b) the number of entries there will be in the dictionary the cracker must create is_____

Now imagine that a 2-byte salt is introduced, randomly chosen then prefixed to each word before it is hashed and stored for use as a password.

With salt:
c) the number of different ways a password could come out if hashed when prefixed with a random 2-byte salt is ______.
d) the number of entries will there be in the dictionary the cracker must create is _______

e) if all the words in the language are 8 characters long and resolve to hashes 22 bytes long, thus requiring 30 bytes to store each mapped pair (dictionary entry), then the number of gigabytes the cracker's dictionary must occupy is ._______

Last edited:

semtex

:)
Daps
Can y'all help me with this questions. I don't know what to do :lupe:

2. Imagine a "file-based/static/pre-computed" type dictionary attack for cracking all the words in a language of 100,000 words. Suppose, when utilized as passwords, these are hashed as-is (unsalted), and the result then stored. To attack this, the cracker creates his dictionary in advance by 1) hashing all 100,000 words from a to z, then 2) re-sorting his dictionary on the hashes. Then, given a hashed password to crack, he simply looks it up and there he finds the original, plaintext password.

Without salt:
a) the number of different ways a password can come out if hashed with a standard algorithm (e.g. sha1) using no salt, is ____.
b) the number of entries there will be in the dictionary the cracker must create is_____

Now imagine that a 2-byte salt is introduced, randomly chosen then prefixed to each word before it is hashed and stored for use as a password.

With salt:
c) the number of different ways a password could come out if hashed when prefixed with a random 2-byte salt is ______.
d) the number of entries will there be in the dictionary the cracker must create is _______

e) if all the words in the language are 8 characters long and resolve to hashes 22 bytes long, thus requiring 30 bytes to store each mapped pair (dictionary entry), then the number of gigabytes the cracker's dictionary must occupy is ._______
c72b94a39549ad21bd5ce96081ff00ae.jpeg