IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Okay, I only have A+ and about a year of help desk-esque experience. I'm also tired of being underpaid. I stayed because the company I work for has all their employees on-site at a really good company. I'm moving to Atlanta (from New York) soon and I'm wondering what my next step is. I figure my next job is going to be help desk. I've been studying the network+ material because even I feel like my knowledge of networks is weak. After that though, I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm interested in systems administration. So... MCSA: Windows 2012? Then learn Linux and then eventually RHCSA? I guess what I'm asking is: If you had a bunch of free time in between job searching, what cert would you get? I figure with the downtime I'm about to have it's time to step it up and go for a more difficult cert.

Where and how did you start breh breh
For A+: Search YouTube for "Professor Messer A+." There's also a book by Mike Myers. I was lucky because I got a job like a month or 2 after I got the cert. On the other hand, the pay is pretty awful and it distracted me from getting more certs.

From what I've read in this thread, the typical path is:
-CompTIA A+
- Network+ (don't necessarily have to get the cert, but the information is necessary)
- MCSA: Windows 7
While you're doing all this you should be hunting for a help desk job because experience trumps all in IT.
After that, you start to narrow your focus and specialize in whatever aspect of IT you're interested in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I still pretty early in my career.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Okay, I only have A+ and about a year of help desk-esque experience. I'm also tired of being underpaid. I stayed because the company I work for has all their employees on-site at a really good company. I'm moving to Atlanta (from New York) soon and I'm wondering what my next step is. I figure my next job is going to be help desk. I've been studying the network+ material because even I feel like my knowledge of networks is weak. After that though, I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm interested in systems administration. So... MCSA: Windows 2012? Then learn Linux and then eventually RHCSA? I guess what I'm asking is: If you had a bunch of free time in between job searching, what cert would you get? I figure with the downtime I'm about to have it's time to step it up and go for a more difficult cert.

For A+: Search YouTube for "Professor Messer A+." There's also a book by Mike Myers. I was lucky because I got a job like a month or 2 after I got the cert. On the other hand, the pay is pretty awful and it distracted me from getting more certs.

-CompTIA A+
- Network+ (don't necessarily have to get the cert, but the information is necessary)
While you're doing all this you should be hunting for a help desk job because experience trumps all in IT.
After that, you start to narrow your focus and specialize in whatever aspect of IT you're interested in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I still pretty early in my career.
Thx breh. Let me ask before you started what was your skill level?
From all acct is seems like Houston and atlanta are the hot spots

Llcoolbay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
St Louis Rams!!!!!
About to take this A+ labsim on testout.

Trying to have that done before i graduate next spring, make getting a job less stressful.

Anybody can tell me whats it like?

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I guess I should get my MCSE in Exchange since I'm in Exchange engineering now.

Time to go hit up boss man for funds. :mjlol:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Thx breh. Let me ask before you started what was your skill level?
From all acct is seems like Houston and atlanta are the hot spots
I was using a computer before I knew how to read. Then, I started playing computer games and my learning slowed to a crawl. So, I was nerd who could (for the most part) build his own computer.

SHO-NUFF

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOMETHIN REAL FO YO ASS IN THESE HANDS!!!!
Congrats breh.. +rep

The simlet questions had me looking at the timer like :merchant:

I swear a nikka was sweating bullets.. Luckily I became a god at subnetting, so that's where I made up my time :whew:

mayne. i thought i knew subnetting, until after my first attempt...
I got that blocksize chart memorized now tho

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Ok brehs, im thinking bout changing my career path up. Im pretty good with technology/smart etc.
Read about the first 15 pages and need some fresh thoughts.

Where do I need to start to get into it. The first couple pages mentioned java & web design. Is that still on point. I would prefer something without being a math wiz.

Cert vs Degree. Mainly looking for online courses. Alot of recent set backs keeping me from #blackexcellence

Would prob say programming is what im interested in.

@FreshFromATL @Silkk @semtex @kevm3
I see its alot of good books posted so far. Where should I start

In regards to programming, the breakdown is for the web, you will definitely need to learn HTML/CSS, which technically aren't programming languages, but they are necessary. After you learn those two, then pick up Javascript, which will be needed for 'client-side' programming. Client-side programming is pretty much programming for the browser.

When you get more advanced, or you really start to get an idea of what you are wanting to do, you can pick up something like C# or Java for the ability to make desktop applications and server-side code. Server-side code is where you start interacting with databases and the such.

Pretty much everything is becoming interconnected now and have some elements of dealing with the web in some form or fashion, so you at least want to know HTML and CSS and dabble with Javascript.

If you want a general purpose language that is highly employable, Java is definitely a huge option. C# is nice as well, but Java typically has more jobs.

One thing you will need to find out is your preferred way of learning. Some people prefer videos. I much prefer to read books. If you're getting started with html, go to codecademy.com and work through their HTML/CSS track and then try out the Javascript one. After that, I can recommend books.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution

-CompTIA A+
Good post.