IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I've been doing a ton of studying in regards to programming. Over the next two months, I'm planning on putting a sort of portfolio project together . I've been exploring a bunch of different languages such as C++, Java, etc. Right now, I'm doing C#. Its interesting seeing what all the different languages bring to the table. What's been going on on your sidE?

Everything's good man. I'm a Sr. BI Developer for a Forture 40 here in Atlanta.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Alright, I'm thinking about trying to get into coding/web design

I'm 40 already so starting a career in networking is kinda a stretch. Might be better to just learn to code at this point.

What do you think?

Networking vs Coding for older dudes trying to make a living?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
What's the best site/software to build/troubleshoot networks in a lab?

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Thanks for replying I need help completing these last two questions:

1. What is the name of the network domain that your computer is a member of?
2. Can you change the domain membership on your computer? if not, why?

1. Domain will show at the login screen or under System properties
2. You need to be a domain admin (or equivalent delegated rights) and have local admin rights to that computer.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

I'm 40 already so starting a career in networking is kinda a stretch. Might be better to just learn to code at this point.

What do you think?

I'd say it's less about age and more about whatever you're more naturally inclined to take an interest in and be good at.

That said, it'll probably be a bit easier to get your foot in the door with coding/web design since you pretty much either know it or you don't. As far as networking, experience trumps all and you'd probably have to start out in a helpdesk/desktop support position and work your way up to networking. No company is really trying to let someone with no experience into their server room or comm closet.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It's pretty much about what you like to do. Do you like coding or do you like networking? Whichever one you have more passion for, that's the one you need to go for. If you don't like coding, then it's probably not something you want to spend time on because you HAVE to know what you're doing. On the other hand, if you love it, you'll spend hours messing around with it on your own time. Do you have a passion for cultivating the ability to develop your own software?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

What do you think?

Coding pays more, because a lot of IT heads don't fukk with it. It's more tedious work but if you can master it enough to hold your own you can make a lot of money. I taught myself HTML because I didn't want to pay someone to build a website. Thinking about getting back into coding and I'm 37 :manny:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Coding pays more, because a lot of IT heads don't fukk with it. It's more tedious work but if you can master it enough to hold your own you can make a lot of money. I taught myself HTML because I didn't want to pay someone to build a website. Thinking about getting back into coding and I'm 37 :manny:

going through the html head first second edition book, this is holding my interest more than learning the ccent did. I think mostly because I don't have any live cisco routers and I couldn't grasp subnetting and so forth.

Still having faith.

TheBeigeBomber

#Fukkery
Daps
whos making money off their own website here? how much are you making off it per month? i dont want a job working for someone else.