IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Does ethnicity come into play when hiring?

I'm sure people come with their own biases in regards to ethnicity.

Every hire for diversity reasons?

I can't say that I have.

How often do you hire people with no experience?

It really depends. I can't hire a guy with no experience to do a mid level job obviously. If it's a Jr role or a level 1 role where you're customer facing, if you pass the technical interview I can definitely bring you on if I like you.

There's really only two questions I try to figure out when interviewing a person: Can you do the job? and Do I want to work with you?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm sure people come with their own biases in regards to ethnicity.

I can't say that I have.

It really depends. I can't hire a guy with no experience to do a mid level job obviously. If it's a Jr role or a level 1 role where you're customer facing, if you pass the technical interview I can definitely bring you on if I like you.

There's really only two questions I try to figure out when interviewing a person: Can you do the job? and Do I want to work with you?
What are some technical questions you would ask someone and what are you trying to find from the person's answer?

For example if you ask me "Gully how would you troubleshoot a user getting a blue screen?" There are obviously multiple ways you can about that, but what is the psychology from asking that? What are you really trying to find out about that person?

Lets say they have no idea how to troubleshoot it, it is something they have never seen before, what would be an acceptable answer from them for you?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
What are some technical questions you would ask someone and what are you trying to find from the person's answer?

It depends on the level of guy. If it's a level 1 type of guy, basic crap. Troubleshoot a guy not being able to print, give me a helicopter-view explanation of DNS, what it's used for and why it's important(you don't have to go into MX/CNAME/A/AAAA records, just that you know what it is). A guy's getting locked out of AD repeatedly.... shyt like that.

I give open-ended questions for technical stuff for the level 1 guys, I'm looking for a logical thought process not trivia answers.

Lets say they have no idea how to troubleshoot it, it is something they have never seen before, what would be an acceptable answer from them for you?

What I would look for is: I'm not familiar with (xyz), but I'm sure that I can figure it out by either Googling or searching our internal knowledge base for information.

Whatever issue that we encounter I can almost guarantee that it's been dealt with before. Knowing what a problem is and how to get a resolution in a reasonable amount of time is really important PLUS it shows that I don't have to babysit you. I simply don't have the time to do that.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It depends on the level of guy. If it's a level 1 type of guy, basic crap. Troubleshoot a guy not being able to print, give me a helicopter-view explanation of DNS, what it's used for and why it's important(you don't have to go into MX/CNAME/A/AAAA records, just that you know what it is). A guy's getting locked out of AD repeatedly.... shyt like that.

I give open-ended questions for technical stuff for the level 1 guys, I'm looking for a logical thought process not trivia answers.

What I would look for is: I'm not familiar with (xyz), but I'm sure that I can figure it out by either Googling or searching our internal knowledge base for information.

Whatever issue that we encounter I can almost guarantee that it's been dealt with before. Knowing what a problem is and how to get a resolution in a reasonable amount of time is really important PLUS it shows that I don't have to babysit you. I simply don't have the time to do that.
:ehh: pretty much exactly what I thought. It's more so to see the thought process/patterns rather than the answers. Some employers ask you some bullshyt that a have you like:mindblown: the fukk you asking me this for? during the process :dead:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Boy here in London if you have those AWS certs you will be eating well, £500-£750 a day
:whoo:

VMWare
Office 365
AWS

Going for those this year.

\

If your new to cloud stuff then VMWare have some good introduction certs and training for free - http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/

VMware Certified Associate - Data Center Virtualization (VCA-DCV)
VMware Certified Associate - Cloud (VCA-Cloud)

Are both good courses that are free and you get a cert for passing them. Then go on to do the advanced stuff.

Those VCA's seem like its aimed towards Sales people lol, if your new to DCV and Cloud then they are good places to start, if your money is tight then I dont see the value in doing the exam - I am cert freak so I done them anyway lol ha. But I would take the free courses on VMWares site and then move on to AWS or RedHat etc

Im doing the AWS now
:whew:

Didnt know Amazon just came and crushed buildings like that, damn.

Pluralsight have 10 day or 200mins free trial and then its $30 a month, pretty good IMO, has all the same videos CBT have just cheaper. CBT is sometimes annoying that James Conrad waffles too much about his personal life for me.

Anyway guys, cloud is where its at and I would def suggest getting AWS cert while its quite new, still seeing tons of jobs paying £500 - £750 a day over here in London.

VMWARE course and exam prices lol a joke, why so expensive
:heh:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Brehs. For those of yall that are looking to get some experience. Go setup some servers on Amazon Web Services for free.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Setup a windows server and build a domain and play with Active directory. Or build a Linux server or SQL.

Plus, AWS is very hot right now. So thats another skill you can add to the resume.

Im telling everyone about AWS, its the shyt right now, some crazy money is being paid

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

For example if you ask me "Gully how would you troubleshoot a user getting a blue screen?" There are obviously multiple ways you can about that, but what is the psychology from asking that? What are you really trying to find out about that person?

If it's something you've never done, say it. Don't bullshyt me, because I'll pretty much know you don't know what the fukk you're talking about anyway, especially if it's something outside of the REQUIRED skillset for the job.

Just simply say...

"I haven't gotten the opportunity to do *insert whatever here*, but if needed in this role, it's something I would definitely look forward to learning and doing. I think that would be a good opportunity of growth for me"

Daps
If it's something you've never done, say it. Don't bullshyt me, because I'll pretty much know you don't know what the fukk you're talking about anyway, especially if it's something outside of the REQUIRED skillset for the job.

Just simply say...

"I haven't gotten the opportunity to do *insert whatever here*, but if needed in this role, it's something I would definitely look forward to learning and doing. I think that would be a good opportunity of growth for me"

yup. employers want to know you can learn shyt, you are honest, work hard and easy to work with. If you can get that across you can get most jobs.