IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
How are brehs getting software nowadays? I need to find a Windows ISO to install in Virtual Box. Or do anyone know any good programming tutorial sites for mac users? BuckeysRoom seems to be Windows oriented.

Warez.bb

Can someone five me a good it learning site without the ocher room and all the hip hop stuff of the coli? I'm gon a ban myself

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Warez.bb

Can someone five me a good it learning site without the ocher room and all the hip hop stuff of the coli? I'm gon a ban myself

Man outside of hitting google and typing in the particular realm of IT you are searching for + adding forums (e.g., Information Security Forums) then you're not going to find anything. you have to search the net's for good forums. this section on the Coli is actually one of the more active and informational sub-sections I've found in relation to hip hop forums.

What exactly are you looking for breh?

Daps

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Man outside of hitting google and typing in the particular realm of IT you are searching for + adding forums (e.g., Information Security Forums) then you're not going to find anything. you have to search the net's for good forums. this section on the Coli is actually one of the more active and informational sub-sections I've found in relation to hip hop forums.

What exactly are you looking for breh?

Looking for something a older person can do do to make at least 50k a year consistently. A field of work that's not too hard for a mostly non educated dude.

So I'm looking for career oriented forums for older black men 35 and up mostly.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Looking for something a older person can do do to make at least 50k a year consistently. A field of work that's not too hard for a mostly non educated dude.

So I'm looking for career oriented forums for older black men 35 and up mostly.

Well first thing I'll ask/tell you is to goto the following site and figure out the type of IT path you want.

http://certification.comptia.org/ExploreCareers/careerpaths/career_roadmap.aspx

Also, I'm going to suggest that you begin studying for and achieving certifications. if you want to go into the IT field then you will absolutely require atleast a few certifications under your belt. you will also require experience.

now all this may seem like a hassle or too much but trust me, the hard work pays off. I am not a guru of anything in IT YET but if you have any questions I'll try my best to aid in your understanding.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Okay will do, I'll start there.

Just so you are informed, CompTIA and their certifications are not the only certifications out there. there is a ton, but CompTIA is a good company to be certified under. Microsoft, Oracle, as well as Apple to name a few are other tech companies which have certifications for their particular software/hardware.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Just so you are informed, CompTIA and their certifications are not the only certifications out there. there is a ton, but CompTIA is a good company to be certified under. Microsoft, Oracle, as well as Apple to name a few are other tech companies which have certifications for their particular software/hardware.

I got a A+ from 2007

Im trying to learn the ccent, it't very tough, I need to make at least 40k to handle my bills, I"m living like a bum nikka right now and I"m pretty upset about it.

I think networking is one of the harder fields to do work in.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I got a A+ from 2007

Im trying to learn the ccent, it't very tough, I need to make at least 40k to handle my bills, I"m living like a bum nikka right now and I"m pretty upset about it.

I think networking is one of the harder fields to do work in.

that's what up,
have you been keeping up with your skills? practicing on your own system(s) or others?

I don't have any experience in CCENT or networking. but if you put forth the proper energy into it, you should be able to grasp it. don't allow your angst to deter you from going for it.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
We need a directory thread. a thread which tell's which users do what, regardless of you being an IT student or an active IT professional. I'll start it out,

Username: Nomadum
Current Certifications = None
Areas of Study
  • Cloud Computing Essentials
  • A+(220-801 & 220-802)
  • Introduction to Networking (working with Cisco systems)
  • Introduction to Network Security
If you have any questions and I can aid you or help you, shoot me a PM with the question and I'll try to help you as best as possible. if I can't then I'll point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Unless you don't have bills to pay, I'd stay with the company until you find another job.

A year on helpdesk isn't bad really, I was on helpdesk for like 4 years before I got my break. My suggestion is to cert up and start looking for other jobs, but don't leave your current job until you have something else lined up. Maybe take some IT classes at your local community college, that's a good way to network.
From what some IT professionals explained to me,
Experience is the most sought after skill
Certifications help bring validity to your Experience
Education help's unlock glass ceilings

So in short, not having certs or education may not be a negative. but at all costs, get your certifications my G.
You've been doing helpdesk for 1 year? you should be ready for your A+ certification or at a min. your 220-802 [software portion of the A+].
Still go after a degree, but get your cert in A+ atleast as soon as possible.

Leaving work in a month and decided to go back to school :blessed:

Was never actually support to go back to school but the company i work for is starting to loose business so i decided might as well go back to school get an education so i can earn some proper money. Not even going to lie a part of me wants to look for a another job and not go back to school but in the long run this is the best for me. Dont want to be like the some of the people i work with who are 30+ still stuck working helpdesk

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Question:How many bytes long is a DNS server reply?

:lupe: is it 32??

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Leaving work in a month and decided to go back to school :blessed:

Was never actually support to go back to school but the company i work for is starting to loose business so i decided might as well go back to school get an education so i can earn some proper money. Not even going to lie a part of me wants to look for a another job and not go back to school but in the long run this is the best for me. Dont want to be like the some of the people i work with who are 30+ still stuck working helpdesk

Congradulations, man what I've began understanding and learning is that you never truly cease your education in relation to IT. since things change so quickly in IT, it's like you're always trying to teach yourself new skills to stay relevant and a want to employers.