IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Having a broad range of knowledge will most likely come with time. You still need that one thing that you know better than the others though
For me, the benefit of having a broad skillset has always allowed me to get access to many different jobs and roles(especially early on in my career). Id rather have options then specialize. But its not for everyone. But its worked very well for me over the years.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I can't grasp the ccent material, should I go with the N+ first? the commands are confusing.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Having a broad range of knowledge will most likely come with time. You still need that one thing that you know better than the others though

Haven't gotten there yet. Why do you say this? Put me on game
My Networking professor told me that if you want to get into Networking it's important to know Python

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't grasp the ccent material, should I go with the N+ first? the commands are confusing.
The network+ will give you a micro view of how everything plays together including switches. I would suggest learning the network+ before going for a Cisco cert if you're not already familiar with the basic foundation of networking

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
My Networking professor told me that if you want to get into Networking it's important to know Python
Im looking into it now, I can understand why they say that now. Will be exciting to mesh my two favorite IT subjects into one..

Daps
If you dont practice doing the commands yourself, its going to be difficult to learn them honestly. You have to get your hands on a sim and do the configuration. But i would say N+ is good to learn first as some things overlap. But there wont be any command line stuff in the N+ so one way or another you will have to learn it.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing

as @Ice_MF_Mike as mentioned, unless you practice, it will be harder to grasp the concepts and information being taught. I may be wrong but I am under the impression that the CCENT (which is exam ICDN1) covers about the same information as the Network+ exam. ICDN1 and ICDN2 preps you for the CCNA. but I'd definitely do CCENT first, then research rather Network+ is needed or if you can jump into CCNA.

All Star
Daps
Can somebody recommend software to migrate roughly 20 PC's from XP to 7?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Can somebody recommend software to migrate roughly 20 PC's from XP to 7?

There are lots of ways to do this; judging by the size of your environment I would say you have little to no budget for this. I would suggest looking into Windows Easy Transfer

All Star
Daps
There are lots of ways to do this; judging by the size of your environment I would say you have little to no budget for this. I would suggest looking into Windows Easy Transfer
It's a fairly large enterprise environment, there are just a few terminals left running XP.

I'm not even in our IT department, simply a student getting part time experience wirh the migration. I have no idea what we even have to work with, but I'm sure I can make an iso and deploy it.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
I read this entire 288 pg thread and brehs like @bdizzle @Data-Hawk @Ice_MF_Mike @FreshFromATL @krexzen and a host others were dropping nothing but gems. I encourage other people to read this thread for their benefit. But I took the time to make a PDF file of the gems that I thought were beneficial with some general guidelines as well so cats don't come in here and ask the same question. The link to the PDF is below

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/615605/Coli-IT-Careers-thread-Breakdown-pdf.html
Enjoy the gems

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Could someone help a breh out? I'm not exactly sure how an entry level IT resume should look or how to list my skills when I don't yet have the certs. I'm just going for help desk positions. It's time to move on from my current position.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Could someone help a breh out? I'm not exactly sure how an entry level IT resume should look or how to list my skills when I don't yet have the certs. I'm just going for help desk positions. It's time to move on from my current position.

give me some time breh but I'll edit my current resume to remove my personal information and set it up so you can see how an IT resume is structured and allow you to enter your own information. I'll try and get that to you by the end of the day.