IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Had my review with my supervisor... I want to transition into becoming a big data analyst, and he wants to support me in DBA, as we need a database for a lot of the shyt we do. Data modeling has been a big interest of mine all of my career at all the jobs I've been at so I want to fully pursue it.

I have been playing with Access and teaching myself SQL & R but I wanted to know if anyone here is a DBA or data analyst/scientist and if they had any advice.

Daps
Had my review with my supervisor... I want to transition into becoming a big data analyst, and he wants to support me in DBA, as we need a database for a lot of the shyt we do. Data modeling has been a big interest of mine all of my career at all the jobs I've been at so I want to fully pursue it.

I have been playing with Access and teaching myself SQL & R but I wanted to know if anyone here is a DBA or data analyst/scientist and if they had any advice.

Build a lab and setup a SQL cluster. Learn how to store and move data, retrieve it easily, secure data etc. That would be a good start.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
CCNA then CCNA security should be your next steps. You cant do security without a strong network foundation. You should also have intimate knowledge of at least one OS whether thats microsoft or linux.

thanks bro. i will be taking a linux class next semester and i'm taking a windows client class that will prepare me for the MCSA

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Build a lab and setup a SQL cluster. Learn how to store and move data, retrieve it easily, secure data etc. That would be a good start.
OK

Thankfully I am pretty much getting paid to do this so I will give it a shot. Securing the data will be the big challenge I think since I'm building this in Access (no SQL Server here yet)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
OK

Thankfully I am pretty much getting paid to do this so I will give it a shot. Securing the data will be the big challenge I think since I'm building this in Access (no SQL Server here yet)

Access ain't gonna cut it if you trying to be a Data Analyst working with Big Data. Hell SQL Server might not even cut it with Big Data (most large companies have Teradata/Hadoop Big Data environments). SQL Server is usually used by smaller shops that doesn't have a large amount of data or a business unit within a company looking to store data locally. You can start by doing pretty much what @Ice_MF_Mike mentioned.

Also, you trying to be a DBA or Data Analyst? These are two very different roles.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Access ain't gonna cut it if you trying to be a Data Analyst working with Big Data. Hell SQL Server might not even cut it with Big Data (most large companies have Teradata/Hadoop Big Data environments). SQL Server is usually used by smaller shops that doesn't have a large amount of data or a business unit within a company looking to store data locally. You can start by doing pretty much what @Ice_MF_Mike mentioned.

Also, you trying to be a DBA or Data Analyst? These are two very different roles.
Data analyst breh. The role I'm in now is pretty much a damn data analyst. I look at trends in energy consumption for my company to help em decide how to save energy/$$$. But Im not getting data analyst $$$$ :aicmon: (But to be fair I don't have full on data analyst skills yet)

I know DBA is more about securing/backing up data etc but there is a lot of overlap since you have to build databases and know how to query to do both. I know some data analysts and some of them started as DBAs. So I think the building blocks are the same. Right now I'm working with a database that has like 100,000 records..... Excel is looking :flabbynsick:... Access has the flexibility and structure I need and it will let me get my feet wet.

Daps
OK

you can download an evaluation version of sql for free for 180 days. so spin up a VM(cop virtual box or vmware) and setup a lab. This will at least get you some experience with real databases. @FreshFromATL gave some other good suggestions to add to your lab once you get in gear.

Virtuous_Brotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
got an sql certification test coming up for college its supposed to be a 25 questioned multiple choice test i havent fully mastered sql but know the basics how can i prepare any of you know anything about said test?

semtex

:)
Daps
Work has been so stressful brehs
ibdGoJT4S6odhc.gif

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think i fukked up brehs next month wil be one year working helpdesk (work for a very know company) gor no certs or education due to various reasons and i want to leave the company within the comming month or so, how should i proceed?