IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
i think i fukked up brehs next month wil be one year working helpdesk (work for a very know company) gor no certs or education due to various reasons and i want to leave the company within the comming month or so, how should i proceed?

Unless you don't have bills to pay, I'd stay with the company until you find another job.

A year on helpdesk isn't bad really, I was on helpdesk for like 4 years before I got my break. My suggestion is to cert up and start looking for other jobs, but don't leave your current job until you have something else lined up. Maybe take some IT classes at your local community college, that's a good way to network.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
It took me three fukking days to figure out the "No Drivers Are Found" issue in a Window 7 installation :mindblown: The last three days was fukking frustrating. I tried so many solution in Youtube to find the solution to fix the Window 7 "No Drivers Are Found" error.. I was going to quit and send the computer back to my customer. Thank God for Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool device :banderas:

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
i think i fukked up brehs next month wil be one year working helpdesk (work for a very know company) gor no certs or education due to various reasons and i want to leave the company within the comming month or so, how should i proceed?

From what some IT professionals explained to me,
Experience is the most sought after skill
Certifications help bring validity to your Experience
Education help's unlock glass ceilings

So in short, not having certs or education may not be a negative. but at all costs, get your certifications my G.
You've been doing helpdesk for 1 year? you should be ready for your A+ certification or at a min. your 220-802 [software portion of the A+].
Still go after a degree, but get your cert in A+ atleast as soon as possible.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
help a brotha out dont ignore me :mjcry:
How difficult are the questions?

*Draw models of what you learned in a chapter.
*Rewrite your chapter notes in your own words.
*Write ideas on how you could implement previously learned information with new information.
*Read as much on the subject OUTSIDE of your course books as possible (e.g. SQL blogs, SQL chat rooms, etc.)

Pretty much have to submerse yourself in the subject matter.

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
Update on Net+ certification training...I was getting ready to buy a n10-005 and then wondered when the crap was expiring..found out through the comptia website that it was in 4 days lol. So I decided to wait and cop the new one in a couple days.

Net+ is releasing a new n10-006 on february 28th 2015. Same amount of questions and such with updated course materials however. Just letting the breh's know that.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Unless you don't have bills to pay, I'd stay with the company until you find another job.

A year on helpdesk isn't bad really, I was on helpdesk for like 4 years before I got my break. My suggestion is to cert up and start looking for other jobs, but don't leave your current job until you have something else lined up. Maybe take some IT classes at your local community college, that's a good way to network.

Quoted for emphasis.

@Pyrexcup if you want to leave, you should have already had something lined up. Otherwise you just hustling backwards and may find yourself in a situation worse than what you have now.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

This. I was on the help desk for 5 yrs and while I hated it, it's better than being unemployed.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Boy here in London if you have those AWS certs you will be eating well, £500-£750 a day
:whoo:

VMWare
Office 365
AWS

Going for those this year.

\

If your new to cloud stuff then VMWare have some good introduction certs and training for free - http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/

VMware Certified Associate - Data Center Virtualization (VCA-DCV)
[URL='http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=41165&ui=www_cert']VMware Certified Associate - Cloud (VCA-Cloud)
[/URL]

Are both good courses that are free and you get a cert for passing them. Then go on to do the advanced stuff.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh

My head hurts just listening to this geek talk about this shyt. It really sounds like gibberish breh :dead: