IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
@Mook, I decided to smarten up and go the Community College route. Just thinking over what certifications I could partake in, one that has always interested me is Web Design/Development (Would my graphic design skills be beneficial for that also?).

I need to look into some more but that's the 1 that stands out the most :manny:

You don't need certs for web design/development. You need to learn HTML, Javascript and CSS for front-end development and put up a project. There are several languages for back-end development such as Javascript(node.js), Java, Ruby(on Rails), PHP, etc. Start with HTML/CSS and move on to Javascript.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I'm so confused on what I will do after I require this A+ Cert. How can I find information on entry level jobs in L.A., Oakland, or Seattle? Because I want to move from Virginia to the West Coast. Also, how much is salary/ salary per year for entry level?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm so confused on what I will do after I require this A+ Cert. How can I find information on entry level jobs in L.A., Oakland, or Seattle? Because I want to move from Virginia to the West Coast. Also, how much is salary/ salary per year for entry level?
Man you trying to make moves too fast. I would suggest finding a job and work at least 2 yrs where you're at. Those places you mention you will need the experience to make decent money.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Man you trying to make moves too fast. I would suggest finding a job and work at least 2 yrs where you're at. Those places you mention you will need the experience to make decent money.
I'm desperately trying to move out of VA. It's miserable I'm really trying to leave home. This area has been very toxic for me. Also, I'm just asking about entry pay. I do plan to get more certs once I get started in my field.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
@King Sun @kevm3 and anyone else this is what nationwide has..like i said im a business major with limited experience and im doing the codeacademy...my hookup said alot of people dont take these jobs so they are always hiring
i wanna know which ones are easiest and hardest, which one pays the most...etc etc

also, dude said i dont need any experience, they train us and we get certs along the way..help me decide brehs
IT Application Developer

IT Application Development Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, focusing primarily on developing, modifying and maintaining production software and applications. Role(s) in this profession require knowledge of programming languages, software development techniques and software quality assurance practices. Interns may also participate in the development and refinement of processes, practices and procedures focused on improving the quality, efficiency and business value of new and existing software

IT Analysis

IT Analysis encompasses the requirements, user-centered design, quality assurance and test disciplines. IT Analysis Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, from eliciting, documenting and managing requirements to creating conceptual designs, analyzing production quality trends, monitoring processes, and executing tests. In general, role(s) in this profession require knowledge of requirements modeling and mapping, test script design, user-centered design, quality process improvements and metrics.

IT Engineering/Architecture

Engineering The Infrastructure Engineering Profession is comprised of roles that deliver supportable infrastructure technology solutions (both standard and customized) based on Nationwide’s architectural standards, technology roadmaps and business requirements. In addition, these roles encompass and are accountable for the operational aspects of infrastructure management in accordance with solution requirements and defined service level agreements (SLAs). IT Engineering Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, from driving engineering and operational excellence for new and existing solutions to continuous improvement of existing solutions and enhancements that enable customers to drive new business functionality. Interns will need a solid, fundamental engineering skills, expertise in the design and operation of existing environments, strong consulting skills and deep knowledge in one or more technology domains. Individuals in the Infrastructure Engineering Profession must collaborate with many other professions and business solution areas (BSAs) to ensure solutions meet and/or exceed their requirements and lay a foundation for operational simplicity and future business enablement Architecture IT Architecture Interns require knowledge across multiple platforms, processes or architectures. They participate in a wide range of design activities, including requirements analysis and translation of business requirements into specific system, application or process designs. In this capacity, IT architects work together with business partners to identify functional requirements and subsequently lead others to identify, justify and design optimal solutions. Interns may be asked define solutions to business problems through reasoning and pragmatic application of information technology. Solutions are documented as architectures and can include the application and integration of: ·Systems, applications and process components ·A broad variety of products, technologies and services ·Various system and application architectures ·Diverse hardware and software components

IT Business Consulting/Process/Project Management

·Business Consulting:

Business consulting is the practice of helping organizations improve their strategy, planning and prioritization. This is primarily accomplished by understanding business objectives, strategy, opportunities and processes, then developing plans and improving processes to optimize them. Interns in this profession may participate in a wide range of activities from strategic planning, business transformation planning, business process modeling, business case development, business performance management, organizational design and change management to project definition and alignment, requirements gathering and scope definition/negotiation. Interns will need to have knowledge of business analysis, design and innovation, functional analysis and design, standards and methodologies, communication, relationship and administration. Individuals also participate in cross-functional sessions with IT Analysis during the transition from business transformation planning to project initiation. ·Process Management:

IT Process Management Profession participate in a wide range of activities, from process design to execution and continuous improvement. Interns in this profession require knowledge of industry standards and methodologies around systems processes, continuous improvement tools, IT and business acumen and relationship building. Individuals in this profession also participate in supporting the internal work of IT, driving standards and efficiencies around systems processes.

·Project Management:

IT Project Management Profession help drive efficient, effective and ultimately successful delivery of Nationwide IT programs and projects. These programs and projects include new development, design of new processes, adoption of new strategies, infrastructure changes and/or vendor package implementation projects. The expectation is that all projects are delivered on time and within budget and specification constraints.

IT Operations

IT Operations Profession is comprised of roles that support Nationwide’s application and infrastructure environment through standard request fulfillment, equipment provisioning and de-provisioning, systems monitoring, maintenance, technical support, user account access and incident resolution. Interns of this profession interact with large-scale computer consoles, applications and cabling as well as IT users’ software, hardware and peripherals. Interns will need solid customer service skills, installation knowledge (e.g., hardware, software, peripherals, network, voice and other IT equipment) as well as the ability to troubleshoot incidents. IT Other (Business/Risk Management)

The Information Risk Management (IRM) Profession exists to protect Nationwide’s information assets. Information Risk Management interns will support risk management efforts. This includes: ·Identifying, reporting on and communicating risks ·Facilitating risk mitigation, reduction, transfer and acceptance #campusrecruiting

Last edited:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@King Sun @kevm3 and anyone else this is what nationwide has..like i said im a business major with limited experience and im doing the codeacademy...my hookup said alot of people dont take these jobs so they are always hiring
i wanna know which ones are easiest and hardest, which one pays the most...etc etc

also, dude said i dont need any experience, they train us and we get certs along the way..help me decide brehs
IT Application Developer

IT Application Development Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, focusing primarily on developing, modifying and maintaining production software and applications. Role(s) in this profession require knowledge of programming languages, software development techniques and software quality assurance practices. Interns may also participate in the development and refinement of processes, practices and procedures focused on improving the quality, efficiency and business value of new and existing software

IT Analysis

IT Analysis encompasses the requirements, user-centered design, quality assurance and test disciplines. IT Analysis Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, from eliciting, documenting and managing requirements to creating conceptual designs, analyzing production quality trends, monitoring processes, and executing tests. In general, role(s) in this profession require knowledge of requirements modeling and mapping, test script design, user-centered design, quality process improvements and metrics.

IT Engineering/Architecture

Engineering The Infrastructure Engineering Profession is comprised of roles that deliver supportable infrastructure technology solutions (both standard and customized) based on Nationwide’s architectural standards, technology roadmaps and business requirements. In addition, these roles encompass and are accountable for the operational aspects of infrastructure management in accordance with solution requirements and defined service level agreements (SLAs). IT Engineering Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, from driving engineering and operational excellence for new and existing solutions to continuous improvement of existing solutions and enhancements that enable customers to drive new business functionality. Interns will need a solid, fundamental engineering skills, expertise in the design and operation of existing environments, strong consulting skills and deep knowledge in one or more technology domains. Individuals in the Infrastructure Engineering Profession must collaborate with many other professions and business solution areas (BSAs) to ensure solutions meet and/or exceed their requirements and lay a foundation for operational simplicity and future business enablement Architecture IT Architecture Interns require knowledge across multiple platforms, processes or architectures. They participate in a wide range of design activities, including requirements analysis and translation of business requirements into specific system, application or process designs. In this capacity, IT architects work together with business partners to identify functional requirements and subsequently lead others to identify, justify and design optimal solutions. Interns may be asked define solutions to business problems through reasoning and pragmatic application of information technology. Solutions are documented as architectures and can include the application and integration of: ·Systems, applications and process components ·A broad variety of products, technologies and services ·Various system and application architectures ·Diverse hardware and software components

IT Business Consulting/Process/Project Management

·Business Consulting:

Business consulting is the practice of helping organizations improve their strategy, planning and prioritization. This is primarily accomplished by understanding business objectives, strategy, opportunities and processes, then developing plans and improving processes to optimize them. Interns in this profession may participate in a wide range of activities from strategic planning, business transformation planning, business process modeling, business case development, business performance management, organizational design and change management to project definition and alignment, requirements gathering and scope definition/negotiation. Interns will need to have knowledge of business analysis, design and innovation, functional analysis and design, standards and methodologies, communication, relationship and administration. Individuals also participate in cross-functional sessions with IT Analysis during the transition from business transformation planning to project initiation. ·Process Management:

IT Process Management Profession participate in a wide range of activities, from process design to execution and continuous improvement. Interns in this profession require knowledge of industry standards and methodologies around systems processes, continuous improvement tools, IT and business acumen and relationship building. Individuals in this profession also participate in supporting the internal work of IT, driving standards and efficiencies around systems processes.

·Project Management:

IT Project Management Profession help drive efficient, effective and ultimately successful delivery of Nationwide IT programs and projects. These programs and projects include new development, design of new processes, adoption of new strategies, infrastructure changes and/or vendor package implementation projects. The expectation is that all projects are delivered on time and within budget and specification constraints.

IT Operations

IT Operations Profession is comprised of roles that support Nationwide’s application and infrastructure environment through standard request fulfillment, equipment provisioning and de-provisioning, systems monitoring, maintenance, technical support, user account access and incident resolution. Interns of this profession interact with large-scale computer consoles, applications and cabling as well as IT users’ software, hardware and peripherals. Interns will need solid customer service skills, installation knowledge (e.g., hardware, software, peripherals, network, voice and other IT equipment) as well as the ability to troubleshoot incidents. IT Other (Business/Risk Management)

The Information Risk Management (IRM) Profession exists to protect Nationwide’s information assets. Information Risk Management interns will support risk management efforts. This includes: ·Identifying, reporting on and communicating risks ·Facilitating risk mitigation, reduction, transfer and acceptance #campusrecruiting

You got options. If you really like hardware and software related stuff I would go into the IT operations but if you want to stay within your degree or if you like the business/ management side I would go into either the project management side or the business analyst. You will still do IT stuff and you can count it as experience but you will play more of a numbers type role or keeping management up to date on any IT stuff.. Hope it helps

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
You got options. If you really like hardware and software related stuff I would go into the IT operations but if you want to stay within your degree or if you like the business/ management side I would go into either the project management side or the business analyst. You will still do IT stuff and you can count it as experience but you will play more of a numbers type role or keeping management up to date on any IT stuff.. Hope it helps
I wish there was a diagram showing the how i can move up in project management. also the requirments and what not..

i think im interested in project management, what should I start learning today, pardon my ignorance and thanks for the help

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I wish there was a diagram showing the how i can move up in project management. also the requirments and what not..

i think im interested in project management, what should I start learning today, pardon my ignorance and thanks for the help

I believe theres a PMP certification out there but I don't know anything about that side of IT. I know you would be in charge of large implementations and overseeing deployments or applications or IT projects and such.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
I believe theres a PMP certification out there but I don't know anything about that side of IT. I know you would be in charge of large implementations and overseeing deployments or applications or IT projects and such.
it sounds so difficult:mindblown: is it really that hard:mjcry:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm desperately trying to move out of VA. It's miserable I'm really trying to leave home. This area has been very toxic for me. Also, I'm just asking about entry pay. I do plan to get more certs once I get started in my field.
If you don't mind living in the hoods in those areas and live close to being a bum for a while then yeah its doable. Mind you alot of IT recruiters don't like to hire out of towers for entry level help desk work. So IMO you should at least save or borrow 5000gs and move and then start applying. Look at some staffing IT in those areas and see how the market is like.