IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Man its like its hard for a young brother from Louisiana to get more info on this type of stuff, these type of jobs were never held by any family members:shaq2:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Man its like its hard for a young brother from Louisiana to get more info on this type of stuff, these type of jobs were never held by any family members:shaq2:

I spoke about this in the middle class and blacks thread. We have to be the trailblazers. All I can suggest is research and networking. Keep reaching to people that do have an idea and you will be told some good info.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
I spoke about this in the middle class and blacks thread. We have to be the trailblazers. All I can suggest is research and networking. Keep reaching to people that do have an idea and you will be told some good info.
Yea man its like most of my people were either blue collar or criminal, my dad broke the mold by being an engineer, but its like I ask people about jobs and they look at me crazy when i sayy "i just want a job at your company whatever your hiring"

like i dont even know what the entry level position is called if i wanted to go into project management, or app development, see what I'm saying?

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Yea man its like most of my people were either blue collar or criminal, my dad broke the mold by being an engineer, but its like I ask people about jobs and they look at me crazy when i sayy "i just want a job at your company whatever your hiring"

like i dont even know what the entry level position is called if i wanted to go into project management, or app development, see what I'm saying?

Do some reading up on this type of stuff here

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrci.htm

Also, for whatever industry you try to enter, simply Google things like "career path for____ degree or certificate"

Daps
@King Sun @kevm3 and anyone else this is what nationwide has..like i said im a business major with limited experience and im doing the codeacademy...my hookup said alot of people dont take these jobs so they are always hiring
i wanna know which ones are easiest and hardest, which one pays the most...etc etc

also, dude said i dont need any experience, they train us and we get certs along the way..help me decide brehs
IT Application Developer

IT Application Development Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, focusing primarily on developing, modifying and maintaining production software and applications. Role(s) in this profession require knowledge of programming languages, software development techniques and software quality assurance practices. Interns may also participate in the development and refinement of processes, practices and procedures focused on improving the quality, efficiency and business value of new and existing software

IT Analysis

IT Analysis encompasses the requirements, user-centered design, quality assurance and test disciplines. IT Analysis Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, from eliciting, documenting and managing requirements to creating conceptual designs, analyzing production quality trends, monitoring processes, and executing tests. In general, role(s) in this profession require knowledge of requirements modeling and mapping, test script design, user-centered design, quality process improvements and metrics.

IT Engineering/Architecture

Engineering The Infrastructure Engineering Profession is comprised of roles that deliver supportable infrastructure technology solutions (both standard and customized) based on Nationwide’s architectural standards, technology roadmaps and business requirements. In addition, these roles encompass and are accountable for the operational aspects of infrastructure management in accordance with solution requirements and defined service level agreements (SLAs). IT Engineering Interns will participate in a wide range of activities, from driving engineering and operational excellence for new and existing solutions to continuous improvement of existing solutions and enhancements that enable customers to drive new business functionality. Interns will need a solid, fundamental engineering skills, expertise in the design and operation of existing environments, strong consulting skills and deep knowledge in one or more technology domains. Individuals in the Infrastructure Engineering Profession must collaborate with many other professions and business solution areas (BSAs) to ensure solutions meet and/or exceed their requirements and lay a foundation for operational simplicity and future business enablement Architecture IT Architecture Interns require knowledge across multiple platforms, processes or architectures. They participate in a wide range of design activities, including requirements analysis and translation of business requirements into specific system, application or process designs. In this capacity, IT architects work together with business partners to identify functional requirements and subsequently lead others to identify, justify and design optimal solutions. Interns may be asked define solutions to business problems through reasoning and pragmatic application of information technology. Solutions are documented as architectures and can include the application and integration of: ·Systems, applications and process components ·A broad variety of products, technologies and services ·Various system and application architectures ·Diverse hardware and software components

IT Business Consulting/Process/Project Management

·Business Consulting:

Business consulting is the practice of helping organizations improve their strategy, planning and prioritization. This is primarily accomplished by understanding business objectives, strategy, opportunities and processes, then developing plans and improving processes to optimize them. Interns in this profession may participate in a wide range of activities from strategic planning, business transformation planning, business process modeling, business case development, business performance management, organizational design and change management to project definition and alignment, requirements gathering and scope definition/negotiation. Interns will need to have knowledge of business analysis, design and innovation, functional analysis and design, standards and methodologies, communication, relationship and administration. Individuals also participate in cross-functional sessions with IT Analysis during the transition from business transformation planning to project initiation. ·Process Management:

IT Process Management Profession participate in a wide range of activities, from process design to execution and continuous improvement. Interns in this profession require knowledge of industry standards and methodologies around systems processes, continuous improvement tools, IT and business acumen and relationship building. Individuals in this profession also participate in supporting the internal work of IT, driving standards and efficiencies around systems processes.

·Project Management:

IT Project Management Profession help drive efficient, effective and ultimately successful delivery of Nationwide IT programs and projects. These programs and projects include new development, design of new processes, adoption of new strategies, infrastructure changes and/or vendor package implementation projects. The expectation is that all projects are delivered on time and within budget and specification constraints.

IT Operations

IT Operations Profession is comprised of roles that support Nationwide’s application and infrastructure environment through standard request fulfillment, equipment provisioning and de-provisioning, systems monitoring, maintenance, technical support, user account access and incident resolution. Interns of this profession interact with large-scale computer consoles, applications and cabling as well as IT users’ software, hardware and peripherals. Interns will need solid customer service skills, installation knowledge (e.g., hardware, software, peripherals, network, voice and other IT equipment) as well as the ability to troubleshoot incidents. IT Other (Business/Risk Management)

The Information Risk Management (IRM) Profession exists to protect Nationwide’s information assets. Information Risk Management interns will support risk management efforts. This includes: ·Identifying, reporting on and communicating risks ·Facilitating risk mitigation, reduction, transfer and acceptance #campusrecruiting
I would probably do Business Consulting and Operations. The closer you are to the business the more money there is. That would be great experience imo.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Depends on what you want more. If you're into programming, go with the application developer role. If you are more interested in the business side of things, go with the business role. Me, personally, I'd take the application developer internship, but then again, I love programming.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Depends on what you want more. If you're into programming, go with the application developer role. If you are more interested in the business side of things, go with the business role. Me, personally, I'd take the application developer internship, but then again, I love programming.
So im assuming you know HTML and CSS..what other things do you know, how long did it take you to learn each...where did you get your CERTS from:ohhh:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So im assuming you know HTML and CSS..what other things do you know, how long did it take you to learn each...where did you get your CERTS from:ohhh:

I know HTML/CSS and Javascript fairly well. I know a bit of Java, C#, and Ruby but I'm not proficient in those languages.

I don't have any certs. IT is where you need certs. With programming, you don't need certs. You need to create a portfolio of demonstrable projects or at least have some resource where someone can see that you know what you are talking about, such as a blog where you can intimately explore various topics on programming.

How long it will take you will depend on how much time and effort you put into it. Learning the basics of HTML and CSS should take you about a month to three months. HTML/CSS isn't that difficult to learn to use fairly effectively.

Javascript takes much longer. I've been studying it for a bit over a year.

If you want to learn them, you need to buy and read a lot of books and practice the concepts therein. Also, maybe videos from some place like codeschool might help out. Codecademy was great to learn the basics of HTML/CSS/Javascript. Past that, read, practice, read, practice, and read and practice some more.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
I know HTML/CSS and Javascript fairly well. I know a bit of Java, C#, and Ruby but I'm not proficient in those languages.

I don't have any certs. IT is where you need certs. With programming, you don't need certs. You need to create a portfolio of demonstrable projects or at least have some resource where someone can see that you know what you are talking about, such as a blog where you can intimately explore various topics on programming.

How long it will take you will depend on how much time and effort you put into it. Learning the basics of HTML and CSS should take you about a month to three months. HTML/CSS isn't that difficult to learn to use fairly effectively.

Javascript takes much longer. I've been studying it for a bit over a year.

If you want to learn them, you need to buy and read a lot of books and practice the concepts therein. Also, maybe videos from some place like codeschool might help out. Codecademy was great to learn the basics of HTML/CSS/Javascript. Past that, read, practice, read, practice, and read and practice some more.
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it breh

ok ok so you say you dont have certs, but if you wanted some, where would you go? is there some online school you know about?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it breh

ok ok so you say you dont have certs, but if you wanted some, where would you go? is there some online school you know about?

Breh, you need to figure out what it is you want to do at a granular level and then come back and ask questions on how to get there.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
My bad brehs forgive my ignorance, right now Imma just learn html and css

If you're gonna do that then forget about certs, they won't be needed. If you want to work on IT infrastructure, then look into certs. I would suggest reading a blog or taking a class to learn about technology in general and the roles it play in the business world, then figure out where you want to be. You're too high-level (broad) right now. Find a specific segment and master it, then get paid.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
If you're gonna do that then forget about certs, they won't be needed. If you want to work on IT infrastructure, then look into certs. I would suggest reading a blog or taking a class to learn about technology in general and the roles it play in the business world, then figure out where you want to be. You're too high-level (broad) right now. Find a specific segment and master it, then get paid.
I think with this internship I'm going to get I need to focus on certs then...where would you start first?