IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've used it for a Network+ class. If I remember it's cheaper to do an online class at a school that requires this than actually buying it for yourself.

It's okay, it has simulations where they put you in a virtual office and you drag and click to hook up switches, routers, monitors etc.
It also simulates you troubleshooting connectivity problems between offices.

The only problem I had with the program is that it doesn't explain anything. So if something is new you gotta figure it out. I guess that's where a course or a textbook would come in handy.

It does include a voucher to take the test though, however. So again taking this through a course through a community college if you can.

Good looking out. :salute:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
When I rub shoulders and network with CEOs and HR heads, people blame a lack of developer/computer science talent on an entire generation of would be engineers who went into IT. Must have been talkin about you brehs :whew:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Correct. You can run whatever you want. ESXi is the hypervisor that runs VMware. So yes, you can host many different servers(VMs) on one ESXi host. You use vSphere in order to setup and access your VMs as you would in a typical enterprise. Its great for a home lab because you can setup many different servers with different OSs and play with shyt. If you break something, you just roll back to a snapshot. I prolly got like 20 different servers on it. Though i only run 5-10 at any given time.

In my lab in addition to my domain and exchange servers, i have a few NAS sims (Netapp, EMC, Isilon), some security softwares, as well as my private cloud and media server(Plex) to stream movies and shyt.
I'm running the trial version of EXSi using a hypervisor VM inside of VMWare fusion (yea I know, trippy). Trying to learn up on managing vCenter/vSphere 5.5 so I can get a better job this summer. If u dont mind me asking, whats your job role consist of?

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Just giving a heads up to anyone who'd want some help or what not.

I am currently in my 2nd week of both my A+ course (Covering the 220-802 portions of the A+ cert exam which is the OS portion) and my Cloud Computing course (covering the Cloud+ certification) and just past both quizzes with 100%. if you want some help or have questions, either ask them here or shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you as best I could.

I am shooting to have my Cloud+ cert by the end of March, beginning of April. I'll report back here when I do to provide aid for anyone seeking it.

#Each1Teach1

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Just giving a heads up to anyone who'd want some help or what not.

I am currently in my 2nd week of both my A+ course (Covering the 220-802 portions of the A+ cert exam which is the OS portion) and my Cloud Computing course (covering the Cloud+ certification) and just past both quizzes with 100%. if you want some help or have questions, either ask them here or shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you as best I could.

I am shooting to have my Cloud+ cert by the end of March, beginning of April. I'll report back here when I do to provide aid for anyone seeking it.

#Each1Teach1
Can you send me your notes?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
starting CS this semester. Im taking DECODING MEDIA, INTERNET: MASTERING THE BASICS, COMPUTER HARDWARE/SOFTWARE, FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER SECURity (300 level course :lupe: ) any tips for me?

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Can you send me your notes?

I'll send over week 1's note on chapter one once I get off work. I am going to read chapters 2, 3, and 4 sunday for my cloud class and the same for my A+ course, so I'll send you all those notes over sunday night/monday morning. shoot me your email in a DM and I got you.

Daps
I'm running the trial version of EXSi using a hypervisor VM inside of VMWare fusion (yea I know, trippy). Trying to learn up on managing vCenter/vSphere 5.5 so I can get a better job this summer. If u dont mind me asking, whats your job role consist of?

Im a sales engineer for security software. Basically demoing, installing software, doing audits and making sure everything works and they can see value out of the product.

Last edited:

YungKuroKami

Rookie
Daps
Ok cool. I'm 23 and I've been doing sales jobs since I was like 18 and I absolutely hate the shyt. I've been wanting to break out into some entry level IT shyt for years now (I'm pretty decent with computers and shyt cuz my pops was military and has been teaching me lil shyt here and there since I was like 7) and I've been psyching myself out about getting certs but I'm ready now. I'm selling lawn care at the moment and I just can't do this shyt anymore lol So I just started watching Professor Messer's videos a couple days ago to start prepping for the A+ exams. My end game goal is to land a sweet cyber security job that makes at least 6 figs. I dropped out of college during my first year cuz I didn't feel like doing all that extra shyt just to get to the computer science shyt (my major) so I figured certs is the way to go. My question is: After I get my A+, where should I go from there? Security+, Network+, CCNA, or should I just cert chase like shyt to try and build a super strong resume?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok cool. I'm 23 and I've been doing sales jobs since I was like 18 and I absolutely hate the shyt. I've been wanting to break out into some entry level IT shyt for years now (I'm pretty decent with computers and shyt cuz my pops was military and has been teaching me lil shyt here and there since I was like 7) and I've been psyching myself out about getting certs but I'm ready now. I'm selling lawn care at the moment and I just can't do this shyt anymore lol So I just started watching Professor Messer's videos a couple days ago to start prepping for the A+ exams. My end game goal is to land a sweet cyber security job that makes at least 6 figs. I dropped out of college during my first year cuz I didn't feel like doing all that extra shyt just to get to the computer science shyt (my major) so I figured certs is the way to go. My question is: After I get my A+, where should I go from there? Security+, Network+, CCNA, or should I just cert chase like shyt to try and build a super strong resume?

If your already good with computers why waste time and money on the A+ certification. I would take the Security+ or CCNA since employers value those more than the Network+ certification.