IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it breh

ok ok so you say you dont have certs, but if you wanted some, where would you go? is there some online school you know about?

There is generally a difference between "IT" and in programming/development based jobs. IT is more along the lines of networking, computer repair, computer security, etc. Programming/developement is in creating software. In IT, that's where you need your certs as 'demonstrable evidence' of your competency.

If you're programming, it's more akin to getting a job in the art world. Your portfolio matters more than degrees. Show me your portfolio and show me your skills. There are no real 'programming certs' that are valued like that. A computer science degree can help, but that's not necessary. It's more along the lines of show me what you can do or show me what you have done.

My advice to you is to whittle down what you want to do and pursue that hardcore. When I first started, I was exploring all kinds of things. I ultimately found that I didn't really care for the IT side of the equation after I went through an A+ book. I found that programming is for me and went after it hardcore. You have to whittle down and find out exactly what it is that you want to do and start eliminating things you don't like so you can have a focus. Trying to do everything at once will not be helpful because you only have so many hours in a day, so you need to spend them on something you know you want to do.

Last edited:

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
There is generally a difference between "IT" and in programming/development based jobs. IT is more along the lines of networking, computer repair, computer security, etc. Programming/developement is in creating software. In IT, that's where you need your certs as 'demonstrable evidence' of your competency.

If you're programming, it's more akin to getting a job in the art world. Your portfolio matters more than degrees. Show me your portfolio and show me your skills. There are no real 'programming certs' that are valued like that. A computer science degree can help, but that's not necessary. It's more along the lines of show me what you can do or show me what you have done.

My advice to you is to whittle down what you want to do and pursue that hardcore. When I first started, I was exploring all kinds of things. I ultimately found that I didn't really care for the IT side of the equation after I went through an A+ book. I found that programming is for me and went after it hardcore. You have to whittle down and find out exactly what it is that you want to do and start eliminating things you don't like so you can have a focus. Trying to do everything at once will not be helpful because you only have so many hours in a day, so you need to spend them on something you know you want to do.
I understand now, thanks fellas...

now the hard part is choosing do I want to choose to go to the light side or the dark side of the force:sadcam:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I think I might take the ccna course at my community college, I'm not catching onto the entry level ccent shyt, kinda difficult.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
From the book IT Career Fasttrack with CompTIA A+ Cert
The Objectives:dead:
Breh I just downloaded the book and I'm :dead: at the objectives, I was doing this stuff at the age of 8:russ:

Install and configure print devices
Install and configure wired and wireless network links and internet access devices
install and configure microsoft windows XP windows 7
Use anti virus tools

:pachaha: i could have had a CERT before the age of 10.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Breh I just downloaded the book and I'm :dead: at the objectives, I was doing this stuff at the age of 8:russ:

Install and configure wired and wireless network links and internet access devices
Use anti virus tools

A+ is basic, fairly simple stuff. The tough thing about that is memorizing all of that information and things like which processors go with which sockets. It's when you get into advanced certs that things get difficult, such as when you start looking into the CCNA and such.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
A+ is basic, fairly simple stuff. The tough thing about that is memorizing all of that information and things like which processors go with which sockets. It's when you get into advanced certs that things get difficult, such as when you start looking into the CCNA and such.
Is Network+ as simple as A+ in your opinion, if not then how much harder?:ohhh: and is CompTIA a good place to test and get my CERT from in your opinion?

also what should I study after I get the Network+ Cert, I want them both before the school semester is over...straight up...I think I like IT more than Programming already

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
+
Is Network+ as simple:ohhh: and is CompTIA a good place to test and get my CERT from in your opinion?

also what should I study after I get the Network+ Cert, I want them both before the school semester is over...straight up...I think I like IT more than Programming already

Network+ will likely be more difficult for you because that has a lot of information that is less common to what people do day to day in computing, but it shouldn't be overly difficult if you focus. The compTIA certificates aren't really looked at as all that difficult, but that's why they are more entry level certificates. They are a starting point that can help you get an entry level job, but if you want the big bucks, you'll have to get more advanced certificates

Here are a couple of free resources for you to look over:
https://www.youtube.com/user/professormesser
https://www.youtube.com/user/elithecomputerguy/playlists

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
+

Network+ will likely be more difficult for you because that has a lot of information that is less common to what people do day to day in computing, but it shouldn't be overly difficult if you focus. The compTIA certificates aren't really looked at as all that difficult, but that's why they are more entry level certificates. They are a starting point that can help you get an entry level job, but if you want the big bucks, you'll have to get more advanced certificates

Here are a couple of free resources for you to look over:
https://www.youtube.com/user/professormesser
https://www.youtube.com/user/elithecomputerguy/playlists
Well where did you get your CERTs from, since CompTIA isn't seen as overly difficult CERT to get in your eyes?
What Im asking is I want to get my CERT from some sort of company or organization that is widely recognized and won't be looked down upon...

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Well where did you get your CERTs from, since CompTIA isn't seen as overly difficult CERT to get in your eyes?
What Im asking is I want to get my CERT from some sort of company or organization that is widely recognized and won't be looked down upon...

I don't have any certs. I'm focused on programming, not IT.

Get your A+ first, try and get an entry level job and then continue to WHITTLE DOWN your options and find out exactly what you can do. Finding out that you want to do IT over programming is a nice first step. Keep on working on that process. Depending on what you want to do will tell you where you want to spend the majority of your time and which cert you will end up getting..

Daps
Is Network+ as simple as A+ in your opinion, if not then how much harder?:ohhh: and is CompTIA a good place to test and get my CERT from in your opinion?

once you get your net+ get your CCNA. alot of the CCNA material you will already know from the Net+.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Thank you kindly sir, I'm reading up on the A+ right now, would you recommend me taking the test with CompTIA
CompTIA makes the test. You'd schedule it via Pearson Vue's site ( http://www.pearsonvue.com/comptia/ ). Pearson Vue is a test administrator company or something like that. So, if you were to take a Microsoft cert exam, you'd likely end up registering through Pearson for it as well.

You can also buy CompTIA exam vouchers on other sites. They'll save you like ~$10 or so.

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga

Use anti virus tools

I been working with computers since age 12 or 13 and trust me, the A+ is not that easy breh. Passed both on first attempt but it took some studying. They upgraded the requirements back in 2013 so you better study for the new test breh.

Is anyone familiar with what type of salary (real world) i'm looking at once I'm Security+ certified? Is 50k feasible?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I been working with computers since age 12 or 13 and trust me, the A+ is not that easy breh. Passed both on first attempt but it took some studying. They upgraded the requirements back in 2013 so you better study for the new test breh.
I feel that same way. I only got my A+ in April of last year, but I've been a computer nerd most of my life. I was cocky and only studied for about a week or so. I took the 1st exam on a Thursday and the 2nd on the Monday. I was surprised by how difficult they were.

I passed and got a new IT related job in June... and I've been slacking on my cert studying ever since. :snoop: