IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Started at helpdesk, moved to system admin, now in a system admin role with a bigger company and more potential to get into project management.

Plus more money.

Be careful jumping into that PM game breh...it can be an ugly cutthroat business...

Most PM positions de-evolve into saying yes to impossible projects and trying to deliver them with understaffed people who don't know and don'c care...

and for the love of god...don't..ever..take a PM position where none of the people actual report to you...because in my career it always ends with the technical people telling the PM to fukk off...and the PM being fired after the first impossible deadline is not being met

A 150k job isn't a 150k job if you only work at it long enough to get 65k

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I been procrastinating on my CCENT/CCNA for literally years now, time to buckle down and get this done. :hmm:

As soon as I get finished watching these funny Youtube videos of cats, beating this RPG, marathoning a couple shows and downloadnig pr0n imma get right on it. For real this time. :sadcam:

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
I been procrastinating on my CCENT/CCNA for literally years now, time to buckle down and get this done. :hmm:

As soon as I get finished watching these funny Youtube videos of cats, beating this RPG, marathoning a couple shows and downloadnig pr0n imma get right on it. For real this time. :sadcam:

:usure:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I done came up brehs, current contract at $28 per hour working in a hospital tier 2 team.

Network+ set for the 26th, then ima try to get that security+ in august.

Setting goals and reaching them is a great feeling :wow:
congrats on that. not sure if I asked you already but what certs and how much experience do you have?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I went to school off and on for 2 years but never finished cause the shyt wasn't for me. Still list it on my resume, they don't seem to care because of how young i am and how much experience i have

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I went to school off and on for 2 years but never finished cause the shyt wasn't for me. Still list it on my resume, they don't seem to care because of how young i am and how much experience i have

This is interesting, when I was looking for work I'd always wondered if they really checked for a lot of the stuff they asked for. For any managers in here, how diligent are companies when it comes to checking references, certifications, degrees, and experience? I know for the jobs that I had my references said they never got a call? Has that been the case for some of yall?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
@Chris.B is there any diff between taking the two part exam 100-101, 200-101 or taking the one 200-120 exam for the ccna? and which one did you take? anyone else with ccna or people who are studying for the exam can chime in as well
the 1 exam maybe too much for some people.

I broke it down into 2 when I took mine but for some people who feel they are well prepared taking 2 exams maybe a waste of money

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This is interesting, when I was looking for work I'd always wondered if they really checked for a lot of the stuff they asked for. For any managers in here, how diligent are companies when it comes to checking references, certifications, degrees, and experience? I know for the jobs that I had my references said they never got a call? Has that been the case for some of yall?

I'm not a manager, but I've worked quite a few jobs and all I can say is that it depends. Bigger companies (that have separate HR departments) are more likely to check than smaller places and startups. For example, where I work I had to bring a copy of my college transcript to orientation. But I've been at other (smaller) places where they never bothered.

I'd say you can lie on your resume if you want...you might get away with it, but be aware that it also might come back to haunt you. I'd really have second thoughts about trying that if you're applying to a large company with a huge HR department tho.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
the 1 exam maybe too much for some people.

I broke it down into 2 when I took mine but for some people who feel they are well prepared taking 2 exams maybe a waste of money
How long did you study for it? And what was the most challenging part on the test to you..

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
already made a thread about this but i need some opinions from my it brehs.

Brehs, basically i work in IT and have been doing so for the last 6 months i currently work in it support 1st line support. the job is OK not the best not the worst and it's b2b support. yesterday i fukked around and a applied for another job at another company they just sent me an mail saying they want to take it forward. I will be employed directly by the company i don't know the salary etc yet but im guessing it will be better than what i currently have right now and according to the ad i will be dealing with cloud services. the new job will also be b2b but i wont at least be taking any inbound calls. they say it's not a sales role or a support role. what do i do :patrice:

1. do i stay and my current job for 6 months more and move to london
2. stay in this country and take the better job if i get it?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
already made a thread about this but i need some opinions from my it brehs.

Brehs, basically i work in IT and have been doing so for the last 6 months i currently work in it support 1st line support. the job is OK not the best not the worst and it's b2b support. yesterday i fukked around and a applied for another job at another company they just sent me an mail saying they want to take it forward. I will be employed directly by the company i don't know the salary etc yet but im guessing it will be better than what i currently have right now and according to the ad i will be dealing with cloud services. the new job will also be b2b but i wont at least be taking any inbound calls. they say it's not a sales role or a support role. what do i do :patrice:

1. do i stay and my current job for 6 months more and move to london
2. stay in this country and take the better job if i get it?

Too early to say. Depends on -

1. Why exactly you were planning on moving to London and whether that's important to you or not (you didn't mention why you were moving)
2. How much the other job pays and whether it's something you want to do.

But what I can say is that you don't have to decide this early. Either way it won't hurt to interview for the job and see what it's about. So I'd say go ahead and interview for it, see what they're talking about, and then make your decision if/when you actually get an offer. That way you know what the job is and how much the pay would be.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

1. Why exactly you were planning on moving to London and whether that's important to you or not (you didn't mention why you were moving)

But what I can say is that you don't have to decide this early. Either way it won't hurt to interview for the job and see what it's about. So I'd say go ahead and interview for it, see what they're talking about, and then make your decision if/when you actually get an offer. That way you know what the job is and how much the pay would be.

1. i would be still working in IT just that london offers more
2. still don't know the pay but i assume it would much better since i would be hired directly by the company