IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
@Chris.B is there any diff between taking the two part exam 100-101, 200-101 or taking the one 200-120 exam for the ccna? and which one did you take? anyone else with ccna or people who are studying for the exam can chime in as well

From everything ive heard, the 2 exam approach is easier.

Daps
I am an Enterprise Architect right now.. but I've done literally everything under the sun as far as technology goes.. a bunch of BD stuff as well... grown different business etc.
Yea why not do consulting or start your own gig then. Lots of organizations leaning on vendors to assist them and even absorb some of their risk. Could be very profitable especially with your experience!

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
Yea why not do consulting or start your own gig then. Lots of organizations leaning on vendors to assist them and even absorb some of their risk. Could be very profitable especially with your experience!
That's definitely the next logical step... I am talking with a few folks on doing a startup.... we'll see.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Anyone taking up web designing? Is it hard?

Web Design is typically html/css with a strong focus on design principles. HTML isn't difficult, nor is basic CSS, but CSS can become quite complex when dealing with things such as layouts. go to codecademy.com and try it out for yourself.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Anyone taking up web designing? Is it hard?

It can be. It combines 3-4 different languages on a regular basis (HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript) and some of the more intricate layouts (parallax specifically) blew my mind. I have a website up with Nginx running from my home server with a couple layouts I ripped and when I look at the actual code of some of the more complicated layouts I realize I have a lonnng way to go in the programming world.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
It can be. It combines 3-4 different languages on a regular basis (HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript) and some of the more intricate layouts (parallax specifically) blew my mind. I have a website up with Nginx running from my home server with a couple layouts I ripped and when I look at the actual code of some of the more complicated layouts I realize I have a lonnng way to go in the programming world.
What you running your sever on? :lupe:

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Man, it's impossible to find simulators online anymore. My test is next week and i want to cram this weekend but simulators are impossible to find now.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Web Design = Making pretty websites... These are typically the art oriented, graphics design guys who create the mock-ups and beautiful layouts and will be required to translate those onto the web via HTML/CSS. These guys have to know browsers in depth and know concepts such as responsive web design. Some of these guys may dabble a bit in Javascript, but nothing too serious. Web designers know layouts, visual design, typography, etc in detail.

Web Development = more of the programmers of the web world. If you want your world to be more than a pretty page, this is where you will end up. There are typically two sides to the web-world. There is client-side and server-side. Client-side is dealing with the browser side of the equation and you will be using HTML/CSS and Javascript to create behavior for your pages. Server-side is where languages like Ruby with the on Rails framework, PHP, Python with the Django framework, Javascript with Node.js, etc., come into play. You will typically have to know some sort of database as well. Back-end development deals with serving up data that clients request from the server and things of that nature. "Full stack" development means you do both client-side and server-side development.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
So I should go for the Computer Science degree over the Information Technology one?
Computer Science is going to be more program oriented...Information Technology is going to be more corporate enterprise oriented (windows server stuff, some networking stuff, etc).