IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
brehs i need some advice. so as some of you know i've been work for IBM as 1/1.5st line support for almost 6 months now, not going to lie shyt was abit hard at first but i rode it out and stayed. this week is the first time i've felt that im starting to getting angry at work some of these customers piss me off, seriously i know now why people said helpdesk is hell. nikkas will bytch complaining about everything to you even though 99% shyt is out of your hands worst part is since we at helpdesk are first point of contact we get to take ALL the shyt and get paid the worst . Thank god shyt is b2b or i would probably had committed suicide now nikkas think just because they are customers they can demand anything, during a couple of calls this week in my head I've been like "nikka who the fukk do you think you're talking to:why:". on top of that shyt, things are going to start getting tense at work a couple of people are leaving soon so we got a bunch of new people in training to replace the ones that are leaving but the thing is though the people we actual experience who are left are very few once October comes i together with 2 other people will the ones with the most experience. I don't want to be one of the people doing the most work with customers complaining bytching at you everyday fukk that.

Like i mentioned before the job position is actually helpdesk but we could seriously be level 1.5 with the shyt we do. I was originally thinking i would be able to stay 1 year but the way things are looking im not sure if i can even ride it out to new year. i dont even know where the fukk im heading next in IT if i leave one thing i know for sure im NOT going back to 1st line support

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brehs i need some advice. so as some of you know i've been work for IBM as 1/1.5st line support for almost 6 months now, not going to lie shyt was abit hard at first but i rode it out and stayed. this week is the first time i've felt that im starting to getting angry at work some of these customers piss me off, seriously i know now why people said helpdesk is hell. nikkas will bytch complaining about everything to you even though 99% shyt is out of your hands worst part is since we at helpdesk are first point of contact we get to take ALL the shyt and get paid the worst . Thank god shyt is b2b or i would probably had committed suicide now nikkas think just because they are customers they can demand anything, during a couple of calls this week in my head I've been like "nikka who the fukk do you think you're talking to:why:". on top of that shyt, things are going to start getting tense at work a couple of people are leaving soon so we got a bunch of new people in training to replace the ones that are leaving but the thing is though the people we actual experience who are left are very few once October comes i together with 2 other people will the ones with the most experience. I don't want to be one of the people doing the most work with customers complaining bytching at you everyday fukk that.

Like i mentioned before the job position is actually helpdesk but we could seriously be level 1.5 with the shyt we do. I was originally thinking i would be able to stay 1 year but the way things are looking im not sure if i can even ride it out to new year. i dont even know where the fukk im heading next in IT if i leave one thing i know for sure im NOT going back to 1st line support
Phone support is almost going to be the worst out of the help desk gig. Try to look at some temp agencies for deskside support

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Phone support is almost going to be the worst out of the help desk gig. Try to look at some temp agencies for deskside support
thanks ill have a look. yeah i already knew things werent going to be nice, but im noticing shyt now and i'd rather leave work on good term than fukk shyt up. i almost regret not taking that job at google right now

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
was an entry level job was not it although was in media/seo :sadcam:

it was only a 3 month contract with possibility of extension to be honest im not ready for that kind of shyt yet. im way too young and in a new country living by myself i need 6 months guaranteed contract at least

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown

You have a few options, here's what I think.

1) Get A+ certified and network+ certified, then try and get a job at Level II support
2) Get A+ certified and network+ certified, then try to get a IT assistant job at a company
3) Get A+ certified and network+ certified, first get a Levell II support job and that will help you land the IT assistant job

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Yea I'm working on the CCNP voice.

I already have the CCNA voice. I did the CCDP because it's basically one exam since I already have a CCNP.

The voice stuff is big. You won't make less than 6 figures if you master it.

this is not entirely true!
you'd be better off doing your CCNA/CCDP for Security, wireless or Data Center.
It will increase your chances.
Security is BOOMING now, and Data Center will always be a need, keep in mind a lot of times when they say private cloud they mean on prem Data Center.
Wireless is getting bigger and bigger especially with the Internet of Everything and the Internet of Things.
Voice is whatever, these days companies are buying the Business Edition 6000, it comes with call manager for less than 1K endpoints and they are making it easier and easier to use, if you have problems you call TAC(tech assis center) if the company bought smartnet.

Voice is NOT where it's at!

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
This September I will be starting my data science certification course at Johns Hopkins. I am also in pursuit of my APICS certification. Taking it one step at a time, but I feel it's so necessary nowadays because advanced skill sets lead to the big bucks and in this economic state, I'm just trying to be great before 30.
Data Science is SERIOUS!
But you are limiting your chance because only large companies are Big Data.
The rest just have your regular data warehouses, if anything hopefully you'll use your cert for Business Intelligence if you get no luck
Try getting an EMC cert as well

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
this is not entirely true!
you'd be better off doing your CCNA/CCDP for Security, wireless or Data Center.
It will increase your chances.
Security is BOOMING now, and Data Center will always be a need, keep in mind a lot of times when they say private cloud they mean on prem Data Center.
Wireless is getting bigger and bigger especially with the Internet of Everything and the Internet of Things.
Voice is whatever, these days companies are buying the Business Edition 6000, it comes with call manager for less than 1K endpoints and they are making it easier and easier to use, if you have problems you call TAC(tech assis center) if the company bought smartnet.

Voice is NOT where it's at!
I speak from experience

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
So do I except I speak with a much larger scope and know future because of whom I work for
OK if you say so.

I live in DC area. So I know first hand what I'm talking about.
I have worked for Both Cisco and Juniper networks(labs) here in the DC Area( Herndorn VA.)

Trust me when I tell you someone with a CCNP voice won't make less than 6 figures(at least in the DC area)

I have CCNP R/S and CCDP and doing very well for myself.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Brehs how useful are MCSA and MCSE certs? been looking at a few job posting that are saying these are beneficial

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
OK if you say so.

I live in DC area. So I know first hand what I'm talking about.
I have worked for Both Cisco and Juniper networks(labs) here in the DC Area( Herndorn VA.)

Trust me when I tell you someone with a CCNP voice won't make less than 6 figures(at least in the DC area)

I have CCNP R/S and CCDP and doing very well for myself.
Ah DC, I guess your best bet then is to work as an UC SE for a solution provider for FED companies.
You definitely live in a specific job area

That's crazy though, a CCDP with your skills on the Coli... HAHAHAHAHAHHA... never would I have thought!

Are you following the SDN/ACI wave?

flipn50

Pro
Daps

I would ride it out for a year, it would look better on your resume. In the meantime, apply for better job, once you land a better one then quit.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

I'd try to become a 'tead lead'. This will get you off the phones for the majority of the time and look better on a resume.