IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
^^ Yup, pretty much all of those

Incidentally, I'm about to throw myself in the deep end with functional programming and start familiarizing myself with Haskell. I figure even if I don't end up doing some project in it, it'll be worth familiarizing myself with it just to give me a different perspective on the imperative programming languages I use now
:blessed: I've been looking into clojurescript, haskell and elm. Not sure which to start learning though :patrice:probably clojurescript mainly because it compiles to javascript. I've been struggling to make time to learn though :sadcam:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Doesn't work like that

2cd3r8.jpg

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
More than anything, I'm trying to make time to learn some Java, but Javascript is taking up the majority of my time.. Java is quite the verbose language.

I've pretty much got javascript syntax down. What I really have to do from a language perspective is really get a deeper understanding of closures and their uses and concepts such as memoization. Javascript is a relatively small language, but some of the concepts such as closures and the prototypical inheritance system get very deep.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Started at helpdesk, moved to system admin, now in a system admin role with a bigger company and more potential to get into project management.

Plus more money.
congrats breh. what type of certs do you have? I am currently working on my MCSA 2012 right now. trying to get out of helpdesk asap on to system/network admin roles

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
More than anything, I'm trying to make time to learn some Java, but Javascript is taking up the majority of my time.. Java is quite the verbose language.

I've pretty much got javascript syntax down. What I really have to do from a language perspective is really get a deeper understanding of closures and their uses and concepts such as memoization. Javascript is a relatively small language, but some of the concepts such as closures and the prototypical inheritance system get very deep.

At this point, you're better off trying to get you some type of entry level job (or internship) using the language. That's the only way you'll ultimately get better by working on real world problems in a actual work environment. Also, that's the only way you will truly grasp (and appreciate) some of those complicated concepts.

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
congrats breh. what type of certs do you have? I am currently working on my MCSA 2012 right now. trying to get out of helpdesk asap on to system/network admin roles

None worthwhile..A+, I just worked my ass off. Once I get into Project Management definitely going for my PMP.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
None worthwhile..A+, I just worked my ass off. Once I get into Project Management definitely going for my PMP.
Ok cool. How much experience do you have at each level? I'm just curious since I feel we are both almost going in the same path as each other as far as career

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Ok cool. How much experience do you have at each level? I'm just curious since I feel we are both almost going in the same path as each other as far as career

5 years at helpdesk.

2 1/2 years at System Admin

Admin/Helpdesk overlap because my prior job I held both roles.

New job i'll be a lower level system admin than I was previously, but, the pay, growth potential and benefits far outweigh anything I have before.

Also, just to prove a much debated point that degree doesn't matter. I have a BA in Communications.

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I'm about to start college and I want to get into the IT game, but idk what to major in. Should i major in Computer Science or Information Technology? Would one offer more potential money over the other or does it even matter?