IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
This September I will be starting my data science certification course at Johns Hopkins. I am also in pursuit of my APICS certification. Taking it one step at a time, but I feel it's so necessary nowadays because advanced skill sets lead to the big bucks and in this economic state, I'm just trying to be great before 30.

My manager is doing something like that. I believe he say they do a lot of R programming

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Security application such as anti virus and firewalls

Well those aren't beginner apps.lol. But C/C++ , Inside/out knowledge of the OS you are using( Tcp/ip stack,sockets, low level driver knowledge , file system etc) and maybe some basic assembly language.

I recommend the Windows Internals 5th or 6th edition book if you want to write those types of apps on windows or on Linux just about any Linux programming book will do.

Last edited:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Props..
You still doing cisco voice? What path you heading onto? with the ccdp?

Asking cause i know you do voice and we about to get cisco phones here and i got an opportunity to get in from the ground floor with this..
Yea I'm working on the CCNP voice.

I already have the CCNA voice. I did the CCDP because it's basically one exam since I already have a CCNP.

The voice stuff is big. You won't make less than 6 figures if you master it.

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
This September I will be starting my data science certification course at Johns Hopkins. I am also in pursuit of my APICS certification. Taking it one step at a time, but I feel it's so necessary nowadays because advanced skill sets lead to the big bucks and in this economic state, I'm just trying to be great before 30.
Via Coursera? If so @FreshFromATL is right. Almost every class uses R. I took most courses from the first leg (Still Archived) but didn't pay to get the certificate.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Yea I'm working on the CCNP voice.

I already have the CCNA voice. I did the CCDP because it's basically one exam since I already have a CCNP.

The voice stuff is big. You won't make less than 6 figures if you master it.
Which cert you start off with to become an engineer

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
Anybody heard of General Assembly? Thinking about shelling 10K to take one of their PM courses

https://generalassemb.ly

Anyways I was playing ball and this short white boy is making 150/ Hr being a Sharepoint Consulant, He lives in Cali but spends half the year in NY and DMV area living out of hotels.

:wow:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
I want to study programming, just the basic. Which language that is popular in the field that I need to know ?

Find a course that covers programming basics and methodologies. Once you learn how to program, you can apply the skills to any language inside of a week or two. Be like water.

I recommend this course. Money not needed and you can download the lectures and material from MIT or iTunesU. Language used is Python which is extremely popular, but again, this is irrelevant for the time being. No need to focus on a specific language and get caught up in complexity. Think in terms of streamlining...what is the next step you should take to get where you wish to go? Whatever it is, do that my friend.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/

Which cert you start off with to become an engineer

Same advice as above. Though you can follow a stricter path. No need to get caught up in a bunch of certificates. Just find one and figure out the next step.

Ralph Wiggum

All Star
Supporter
Daps
After being "about that life" and fukking up a lot, I finally mellowed out and I'm getting my AS in Computer Science in December. Should I get them certs as well? :ohhh:

I was thinking of starting to study for the A+ unless you think networking certs will open more opportunities? :yeshrug: