IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd try to become a 'tead lead'. This will get you off the phones for the majority of the time and look better on a resume.
:camby: im trying to leave this place as fast as possible. fukk becoming a team leader, good thing now summer is pretty much over time to stack some money and getting out the next plan

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:camby: im trying to leave this place as fast as possible. fukk becoming a team leader, good thing now summer is pretty much over time to stack some money and getting out the next plan

I've quit IT places after only 5 months on the job. If you've got technical skills companies need it won't matter to them if you job hop occasionally.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is not entirely true!
you'd be better off doing your CCNA/CCDP for Security, wireless or Data Center.
It will increase your chances.
Security is BOOMING now, and Data Center will always be a need, keep in mind a lot of times when they say private cloud they mean on prem Data Center.
Wireless is getting bigger and bigger especially with the Internet of Everything and the Internet of Things.
Voice is whatever, these days companies are buying the Business Edition 6000, it comes with call manager for less than 1K endpoints and they are making it easier and easier to use, if you have problems you call TAC(tech assis center) if the company bought smartnet.

Voice is NOT where it's at!

I don't think Security field will really pick up unless the Feds start mandating a minimum level of security for companies. All you have right now is a bunch of companies that were recently breached panicking. Which means they'll go out and spend tons of money on overpriced IT Security consultants.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
for all the programmers on here, anyone know any good reference material online that's free? i'm just getting started in school- and i have started studying html5, css and currently in javascript.

any material that i can use to help me study and potentially quiz myself will be greatly appreciated.

also, i am just curious, how long did it take for you to get comfortable coding? man this stuff feels like it will take many months maybe years for me lol i'm in it for the long haul though.

i can see why programmers get their respect and salaries they command

Yeah programming isn't something to dive into just 'cuz it makes money.' It's taken me studying several hours a day for nearly a year to really start getting comfortable with a lot of programming concepts, and I still have a long way to go.

Honestly, don't cheap out on your programming education. Get a kindle (e-reader, not tablet) and start buying javascript books and going through them. Looking for free stuff will most likely involve reading random, disjointed blog posts as opposed to a more structured understanding you would get from books. Codecademy is a cool starting point, but there's a ton more to learn after that. If you're comfortable reading on the computer, get the kindle computer reader, which is free, and buy this book.

I find this author makes very easy to understand books

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Javascript has really come a long way. GitHub has actually created an open source text editor that looks just like Sublime Text in html/css and javascript called atom. The performance leaves a lot to be desired as of the moment, but what they've managed to do is amazing.

https://atom.io/

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Ahh at swift playground feature...If you are a visual learner like me. This will definitely help you with programming.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I really need to hone up on my java knowledge before I miss out on some great opportunities.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

I know it's rought breh, but unless you get a job offer, I'd try to ride it out for a year just so you can say you have a year of IT experience on your resume. In the long term it'll make your resume more attractive and make it less likely for you to look like a job hopper.

But yeah, being exclusively phone support sucks, I remember those days. :smh:

Right now I'm an Internal IT Technician (basically do Level 1 + Level 2 + Sys Admin stuff) and it's way better. I still have to take phone calls a lot, but I find that people are WAY more polite when you sit in the suite across from them and see them in the hall/parking lot/lobby every day and know them by name.

Angry caller: :angry:

Me::birdman: Looks like this is an issue that can't be resolved remotely. Why don't you bring the laptop down to my desk and we'll see what we can do.

Angry caller: :whoa: By the way I apologize if I was being a little rude, just having a long day and my boss has been on my case. :o:

Last edited:

flipn50

Pro
Daps
I think Linux Admin is hot right now. A lot of hiring for the position in Austin, TX.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
I don't think Security field will really pick up unless the Feds start mandating a minimum level of security for companies. All you have right now is a bunch of companies that were recently breached panicking. Which means they'll go out and spend tons of money on overpriced IT Security consultants.
Doesn't work like that

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
the basic syntax of javascript is simple, but some of the functional programming concepts are kind of mind bending
Code:
function unless(test, then) {
if (!test) then();
}
function repeat(times, body) {
for (var i = 0; i < times; i++) body(i);
}

repeat(3, function(n) {
unless(n % 2, function() {
console.log(n, "is even");
});
});

This is something I copied from the book eloquent javascript. The fact that you can pass functions as arguments to parameters is quite interesting. It's very interesting in concept, but I think this would be terrible code to put in production anywhere though since it's not immediately obvious what it does, which is determine if a number is even.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
the basic syntax of javascript is simple, but some of the functional programming concepts are kind of mind bending
Code:
function unless(test, then) {
if (!test) then();
}
function repeat(times, body) {
for (var i = 0; i < times; i++) body(i);
}

repeat(3, function(n) {
unless(n % 2, function() {
console.log(n, "is even");
});
});

This is something I copied from the book eloquent javascript. The fact that you can pass functions as arguments to parameters is quite interesting. It's very interesting in concept, but I think this would be terrible code to put in production anywhere though since it's not immediately obvious what it does, which is determine if a number is even.

The first time I came across first-class functions, I thought it was a pretty strange concept. Passing a function as a parameter to another function? Storing a function in a variable? Getting a function as the return value from another function? :wtf:

The way I've wrapped my head around is by keeping in mind that functions themselves are data. It's just that instead of representing some discrete piece of information like an integer, a floating point value or a string, it represents a sequence of instructions to be executed.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The first time I came across first-class functions, I thought it was a pretty strange concept. Passing a function as a parameter to another function? Storing a function in a variable? Getting a function as the return value from another function? :wtf:

The way I've wrapped my head around is by keeping in mind that functions themselves are data. It's just that instead of representing some discrete piece of information like an integer, a floating point value or a string, it represents a sequence of instructions to be executed.

Nice way of explaining it.

semtex

:)
Daps
The first time I came across first-class functions, I thought it was a pretty strange concept. Passing a function as a parameter to another function?
sounds like an anonymous call :lupe:

Storing a function in a variable?
sounds like delegation :lupe:
Getting a function as the return value from another function? :wtf:
sounds like wrapping :lupe:
I have to do some javascript for my job.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
^^ Yup, pretty much all of those

Incidentally, I'm about to throw myself in the deep end with functional programming and start familiarizing myself with Haskell. I figure even if I don't end up doing some project in it, it'll be worth familiarizing myself with it just to give me a different perspective on the imperative programming languages I use now