IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
After being "about that life" and fukking up a lot, I finally mellowed out and I'm getting my AS in Computer Science in December. Should I get them certs as well? :ohhh:

I was thinking of starting to study for the A+ unless you think networking certs will open more opportunities? :yeshrug:

What do you like? More important than "thinking" about studying for a certificate and analyzing the decision is to just take a week or two and do it. Inaction is death.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I quit my job as a janitor and started interning in the IT department at a local hospital since October 2013 for 10.00 an hour, about 2 weeks ago I got offered and accepted the position of basically the same thing I was already doing but with benefits and Full Time pay 26.50 an hour. I want to finish school I only have my associates degree, and possibly get into a leadership position. We do a lot of projects and I have my hands in basically everything, but I know in a few months I will get tired/bored of this and need to do more. I'm interested in possibly being a project manager. Besides what I did at my house and for my friends, I had no prior business experience in IT just personal.
congrats breh...do you have any certs and what hospital do you work at? im in the philly area myself

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
After being "about that life" and fukking up a lot, I finally mellowed out and I'm getting my AS in Computer Science in December. Should I get them certs as well? :ohhh:

I was thinking of starting to study for the A+ unless you think networking certs will open more opportunities? :yeshrug:
:yeshrug:Since

I was thinking of starting to study for the A+ unless you think networking certs will open more :yeshrug:
You should aim for the A+ because it is cheaper and the course is more versatile than the Network+ course. I know this because I completed both courses in my program of study. Get into a class that will will prepare you for both 801 and 802 A+ exam. You can still study the fundamental of network in your program of study and whatever, you learn from the network course, but that in your resume.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Depends on what you want to do and if you have any experience.

If you're looking to go into the programming side of things I wouldn't bother with certs. Just make sure you know at least one programming language well and try to have some projects you can reference.

If you're going more into the IT side of things (support, networking, servers, etc.) then yeah, get them certs. I'd start with A+ and Network+ and then start applying for IT support/helpdesk jobs and work your way up. Truth of the matter is you're not gonna start out as a Network Admin, you gotta get some experience first.

Also, since you're getting your degree, try to network with some of the people who teach IT/Computer Science to see if they know about any job openings. A lot of the people that teach IT at colleges (especially community colleges) used to work in the industry (or still do) and have a lot of contacts that might be able to hook you up.

Also, make sure that resume is on point. :ufdup:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been doing a bit of studying on Java and C#... Actually helps me understand what is going on in Javascript's object orientation. Javascript has no class-based inheritance, so you will often see emulations of it using the prototypal system.

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
for all the programmers on here, anyone know any good reference material online that's free? i'm just getting started in school- and i have started studying html5, css and currently in javascript.

any material that i can use to help me study and potentially quiz myself will be greatly appreciated.

also, i am just curious, how long did it take for you to get comfortable coding? man this stuff feels like it will take many months maybe years for me lol i'm in it for the long haul though.

i can see why programmers get their respect and salaries they command

semtex

:)
Daps
for all the programmers on here, anyone know any good reference material online that's free? i'm just getting started in school- and i have started studying html5, css and currently in javascript.

any material that i can use to help me study and potentially quiz myself will be greatly appreciated.

also, i am just curious, how long did it take for you to get comfortable coding? man this stuff feels like it will take many months maybe years for me lol i'm in it for the long haul though.

Find programming assignments online and do those. Read other peoples code too.

I'm leaps and bounds better than I was just a year ago.

semtex

:)
Daps

and here's a hands-on codeacademy tutorial for javascript

http://www.codecademy.com/courses/getting-started-v2/0/1?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661