IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I was playing around with JS on Codecademy in class today. Its not as difficult as I expected.

The basic syntax of Javascript is easy to grasp, such as loops, arrays, etc., but the difficulty comes in in learning exactly how prototypical inheritance works and in learning about quirks such as automatic type conversion. For example, you will see code like:
if(obj)
{
//code here
}

where obj is an object the programmer is looking to see exists. If the object exists, then the code is run... That's because there are 6 'falsy' values in Javascript: null, undefined, 0, " " (empty string), false, and NaN. Everything else gets converted to true when used as a condition in an if statement.
A lot of programmers complain about Javascript but I actually quite like it.

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
-stumbles into the thread, again-

I'm here to humble myself.

For the last few months, I've been working on Windows 7 migration projects. Lots of short term work, rarely full time, and the hunt for work is wearing me down. I recently spoke with a group that has a 16 week training course where they help you with networking (with people, and actual networking too). They'll help me get an A+ without having to pay for it out of pocket. All I have to do is commit to their training sessions, which are 5 days a week, 9 am - 3 pm.

Outside of that, I'm pretty lost on what direction I should go in. I've dabbled with different textbooks, but the majority of my learning seems to happen when I'm actually working, or when someone is directly showing me what to do. I guess I'm more of a visual learner. I'm looking at going to the local community college and taking up their computer science courses as well. My biggest problem is, I want to make money, and I want to do it NOW. Kinda need to do it now too, since things have gotten a bit out of control with my limited finances and all.

I have help desk experience, which amounts to minor troubleshooting on a call center floor. My resume is ok, but I know it needs bolstering in the form of more work. I am going to reread this thread when I'm in a better frame of mind, but right now I kinda feel disillusioned. I thought work would be more plentiful, especially with all of the Windows 7 migration projects out there, but most companies don't know what the fukk they're really looking for when they try to hire guys. (at least, in my opinion)

Did I go about this all wrong? I'm not in it strictly for the money, but I have not been able to grasp much on my own. Should I focus on school and training and hope the job offers come, or should I continue applying for everything in sight that sounds remotely close to help desk and junior system admin positions?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

For the last few months, I've been working on Windows 7 migration projects. Lots of short term work, rarely full time, and the hunt for work is wearing me down. I recently spoke with a group that has a 16 week training course where they help you with networking (with people, and actual networking too). They'll help me get an A+ without having to pay for it out of pocket. All I have to do is commit to their training sessions, which are 5 days a week, 9 am - 3 pm.

Outside of that, I'm pretty lost on what direction I should go in. I've dabbled with different textbooks, but the majority of my learning seems to happen when I'm actually working, or when someone is directly showing me what to do. I guess I'm more of a visual learner. I'm looking at going to the local community college and taking up their computer science courses as well. My biggest problem is, I want to make money, and I want to do it NOW. Kinda need to do it now too, since things have gotten a bit out of control with my limited finances and all.

I have help desk experience, which amounts to minor troubleshooting on a call center floor. My resume is ok, but I know it needs bolstering in the form of more work. I am going to reread this thread when I'm in a better frame of mind, but right now I kinda feel disillusioned. I thought work would be more plentiful, especially with all of the Windows 7 migration projects out there, but most companies don't know what the fukk they're really looking for when they try to hire guys. (at least, in my opinion)

Did I go about this all wrong? I'm not in it strictly for the money, but I have not been able to grasp much on my own. Should I focus on school and training and hope the job offers come, or should I continue applying for everything in sight that sounds remotely close to help desk and junior system admin positions?

Not being able to learn on your own is an issue. You need to go to school as well because it sounds like you're lacking the basics and school is the only place someone is going to willingly show you everything step by step. And before you start worrying about the money...you need to make sure your skill set is art least half way decent. Right now you sound like a new beginner to the world of technology.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Nah it's free on the Android. :pachaha:
so if I have the sudy material on a pdf, or a vce file can I import that into a set of flash cards? HOw do I create the cards?

JJ_ALL_DAY

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Mass
For the past couple of months I've been studying for my CCENT/CCNA. I have a BS in IT and can barely get interviews. Would a CCNA be enough to get an entry level position in IT?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
For the past couple of months I've been studying for my CCENT/CCNA. I have a BS in IT and can barely get interviews. Would a CCNA be enough to get an entry level position in IT?
I can tell you first hand if you don't have 0 experience in IT regardless of your degree your chances are next to slim to jump into a It gig. I would concentrate on getting those certs

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IMO CCNA is overkill if you dont have any helpdesk exp. Id probably go for an A+ or Windows 7/8 MCSA to get a foundation then start applying for entry level helpdesk jobs

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Work harder.. simple to say hard to do.

1.)Ask yourself if you really enjoy this?
2.)Give up some fun things in your life, I just about stopped dating because i want to start my own game development studio..etc
3.) Computer science is programming , math, math and more math. Sounds like you want to go into networking. Double check.
4.) Set 1 big goal and several smaller ones.
5.) you want the Money now? yeah breh sorry about that part.. I worked warehouse jobs while trying to get into IT.
6.) You shouldnt need a class for the A+.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
What positions are you applying for?

Flay Mayweather

Superstar
Daps
Any IT bruhs familar with WGU?

The tuition for this university is somewhere around 2600+ for six months, no matter the amount of credits you take.

I'm looking into the IT field because marketing isn't too appealing for me right now.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The tuition for this university is somewhere around 2600+ for six months, no matter the amount of credits you take.

I'm looking into the IT field because marketing isn't too appealing for me right now.

Most IT hiring managers could care less what kind of degree you have. Technical skills matter more than your degree.

JJ_ALL_DAY

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Mass
What positions are you applying for?

Mainly help desk positions, just wanted to gain some type of experience before moving onto Networking.Only problem is the only experience I have is from a couple months of internships.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Mainly help desk positions, just wanted to gain some type of experience before moving onto Networking.Only problem is the only experience I have is from a couple months of internships.

ok.. I would try temp agencies. Something along the lines of installation rollouts. my path went like this

- 3 month contract to repair computers in schools ( it was cut to 3 weeks. :( )
- Back to warehouse jobs
- Field tech ( most of our clients were the Govt ). did this for about 4 months
- Help desk for 4 yrs
- promoted to Enigineer. did this for about 1.5 yrs
-promoted to Sr.Programmer

so its a long ass road..

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

If you dont have any passion for IT and only want to get into it because you dont like marketing. Trust me when i say you'll be saying the samething about IT..