IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Flay Mayweather

Superstar
Daps
If you dont have any passion for IT and only want to get into it because you dont like marketing. Trust me when i say you'll be saying the samething about IT..

I have the passion for IT, I'm interested in multiple things. Marketing was my first choice since my previous university's IT professors were :flabbynsick: except for my one who use to be an information analyzer for IBM.

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Most IT hiring managers could care less what kind of degree you have. Technical skills matter more than your degree.

This. I know I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but, the type of degree you have doesn't matter. I have a communications degree myself.

However, it could become a factor when it comes down to you and one other person who does have the MIS/CIS/CS degree...but, usually experience and industry certifications will trump all. Anyone can learn the stuff in the class room, but, what you do in class and what is actually done in the field are 2 different things. Someone with the degree might have better grasp of some concepts, but, if you can show that you do as well despite the lack of a technical degree and you have real world experience, any hiring manager would be dumb not to choose you.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Most IT hiring managers could care less what kind of degree you have. Technical skills matter more than your degree.

Yep. We looking for someone with BI Knowledge and strong SQL skills to add to our team right now. We don't care whether or not the person is a freshman in college...if they nice with the SQL (SQL server, oracle, teradata), understand Business Intelligence, and show the ability to grasp complex business logic....we'll bring'm in at 70-75k off rip.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
I decided to give this a try doing SQL can you guys help me with links that would help?

NeverBePeace

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
I just started a new job as a systems analyst at a hospital. I will be working with McKesson applications. This is my first IT gig so I am not sure what to expect. Any advice?

Last edited:

NeverBePeace

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Lots of excel spreadsheets breh :sas2:
Honestly, I have no idea what I am in for but I wouldn't mind Excel. I was supposed to work with SQL reporting services.

With this position, I kind of feel like the middleman between the help desk and vendor.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Honestly, I have no idea what I am in for but I wouldn't mind Excel. I was supposed to work with SQL reporting services.

With this position, I kind of feel like the middleman between the help desk and vendor.
You will be that guy doing the excel sheets for data and giving use help desk guys change memos on when shyt is going to have maintenance