IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
Been looking into a hospital systems analyst job myself. Let me know how it works for you breh, gl. I'd rather do data analysis/business intelligence. Need to freshen up my SQL skills. You guys have any resources, @Soundbwoy , @Eric Blair ?

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
Been looking into a hospital systems analyst job myself. Let me know how it works for you breh, gl. I'd rather do data analysis/business intelligence. Need to freshen up my SQL skills. You guys have any resources, @Soundbwoy , @Eric Blair ?
:whoa: im a rookie breh Ive been told my sql phrasebook can help but im still looking for other resources as well

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So I'm a couple of weeks into my job. It's half on-boarding & setting up new equipment\very, very minor tech support and half asset management (inventory tracking). I think I hyped up my stock clerk experience a little too much during the interview and now it looks like I might be stuck doing the inventory stuff once my training is complete.

Also, my co-workers... I don't understand what half of them are doing there. Some have been there for a few months, others for like 2 years. Unless those dudes are making like 10k more than I am, they should be looking for new jobs (with better pay & benefits). Not to mention, this place pays for certs; if we go for them and pass.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Been slacking for a year+ on my learning/certs.

Looking to learn some advanced Excel then going for the Server 2012 exams

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
So I'm a couple of weeks into my job. It's half on-boarding & setting up new equipment\very, very minor tech support and half asset management (inventory tracking). I think I hyped up my stock clerk experience a little too much during the interview and now it looks like I might be stuck doing the inventory stuff once my training is complete.

Also, my co-workers... I don't understand what half of them are doing there. Some have been there for a few months, others for like 2 years. Unless those dudes are making like 10k more than I am, they should be looking for new jobs (with better pay & benefits). Not to mention, this place pays for certs; if we go for them and pass.

I see that here as well. SOme people get too comfortable I guess

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've found Javascript to be a very enjoyable language. The Document Object Model API is not so enjoyable...

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW

IT people in general are not very realistic about the IT job market or the state of IT. For the majority, once they reach a place that feels "secure", they will tend to stay there.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly, I have no idea what I am in for but I wouldn't mind Excel. I was supposed to work with SQL reporting services.

With this position, I kind of feel like the middleman between the help desk and vendor.

Thats exactly what you will be. All the analysts at my job who deal with McKesson just sit around until something breaks or it's patch time, and then call support. Easy money

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
i been reading this whole thread and props to everybody who contributing in this and doing their thing in IT

here's my situation, just looking for a little insight on what i can expect:

i got a bachelor's in it/computer science (completed last year), i'm going to be starting a front end web developer/ programmer analyst training as of august 4th (i tested and was awarded a paid scholarship for it). i did some testing for my aptitude and i scored in the upper 10 percentile for it. it's a pretty detailed and will run up into the middle of december. we are gonna be in training Monday through friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.

the training also will include insurance fundamentals and general insurance for IT support- once it's completed, we test and complete a certification for an AINS 24 General Insurance for IT and Support Professionals exam. we will also be trained in a programming language- C#

After all the training we hopefully should get an opportunity to work a paid internship with a local company for 8 weeks, to prove if we are a fit for the company.

i understand all the work that's ahead of me but i'm just wondering with all the training, does it put me in a good place for the future and will companies still downplay me- once i'm done with the training. just wanna know the chances i have. either way i'm gon grind it out- we just did an interview and an exercise for web designing and i actually enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to it

thanks in advance for any advice or feedback

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
^
I'm new to the field. Do you know anyone that's went through this program? Have you applied to any jobs/internships on your own? See you're in Columbia, what school?

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
^
I'm new to the field. Do you know anyone that's went through this program? Have you applied to any jobs/internships on your own? See you're in Columbia, what school?
The program is at Midlands Tech the Northeast campus . don't know anybody who did the program. I did a paid internship last year for the SC health and human services department (Medicaid). It was help desk basically resetting passwords and unlocking accounts, only did it for 2 months cause I switched jobs at the time

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i been reading this whole thread and props to everybody who contributing in this and doing their thing in IT

here's my situation, just looking for a little insight on what i can expect:

i got a bachelor's in it/computer science (completed last year), i'm going to be starting a front end web developer/ programmer analyst training as of august 4th (i tested and was awarded a paid scholarship for it). i did some testing for my aptitude and i scored in the upper 10 percentile for it. it's a pretty detailed and will run up into the middle of december. we are gonna be in training Monday through friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.

the training also will include insurance fundamentals and general insurance for IT support- once it's completed, we test and complete a certification for an AINS 24 General Insurance for IT and Support Professionals exam. we will also be trained in a programming language- C#

After all the training we hopefully should get an opportunity to work a paid internship with a local company for 8 weeks, to prove if we are a fit for the company.

i understand all the work that's ahead of me but i'm just wondering with all the training, does it put me in a good place for the future and will companies still downplay me- once i'm done with the training. just wanna know the chances i have. either way i'm gon grind it out- we just did an interview and an exercise for web designing and i actually enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to it

thanks in advance for any advice or feedback

Interns are generally given menial tasks nobody else on the staff wants to do. But if you complete everything ahead of schedule you'll probably be given more advanced training.