IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
Good questions

Generally the Engineers will see the better money bc they offer the programming skill but also the design exp and the ability to improve scalability and performance

I would say you are talking about a 8-15 year person- now thats a big gap but you also have to consider the highest paying firms are: Investment banks, hedge funds, asset management firms and technology companies ( generally speaking)

Wow that is a long time.

Any one of your programmers self taught man? I read an article yesterday saying something like nearly half of all New York's tech jobs are from people who don't have their degrees.

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green
Wow that is a long time.

Any one of your programmers self taught man? I read an article yesterday saying something like nearly half of all New York's tech jobs are from people who don't have their degrees.

Most of these guys are self taught to a point

Everyone I deal with has a CS degree but that doesnt mean you have to have one to get into IT...but 8/10 to make really good money you will need it. Again, its all dependent on where you want to take your IT career. Most get that degree and then they go the "self taught" route. They join user groups on linkedin or meetup and get tips from other people. Alot of what they pick up seems textbook self taught and using online sources and just being in touch with trust IT people who can teach you a thing or two

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
Most of these guys are self taught to a point

Everyone I deal with has a CS degree but that doesnt mean you have to have one to get into IT...but 8/10 to make really good money you will need it. Again, its all dependent on where you want to take your IT career. Most get that degree and then they go the "self taught" route. They join user groups on linkedin or meetup and get tips from other people. Alot of what they pick up seems textbook self taught and using online sources and just being in touch with trust IT people who can teach you a thing or two

Damn you said everyone you deal with has a CS degree, doesn't look good for me. I currently in school double majoring in Financial Economics and Mathematics with a minor in computer science. I always enjoyed the computer science courses and a passion to pursue it has taken over me.

I.T is something I am not too thrilled about because of the certifications and the constant renewing of them. I think programming is where I want to head into because of the demand and also because I enjoy the heck out of it. You mentioned objected oriented programming and so which of those do see is in the most demand. Off the bat I can tell C++ and Java is extremely in demand but I also read COBAL is also in demand and get paid quite well.

Last edited:

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green
Damn you said everyone you deal with has a CS degree, doesn't look good for me. I currently in school double majoring in Financial Economics and Mathematics with a minor in computer science. I always enjoyed the computer science courses and a passion to pursue it has taken over me.

I.T is something I am not too thrilled about because of the certifications and the constant renewing of them. I think programming is where I want to head into because of the demand and also because I enjoy the heck out of it. You mentioned objected oriented programming and so which of those do see is in the most demand. Off the bat I can tell C++ and Java is extremely in demand but I also read COBAL is also in demand and get paid quite well.

As of right now I have a great handle on CSS and HTML5. Going to move on to javascript.

My man,HTML5 is the future..keep that up....
the fact that you have a math degree and a minor in CS....there is money out there for you...you are not off track..trust me

Morgan Stanley just help a conference catering to minorities in technology

if you want me to let you know about other conferences- send me a PM and i will alert you if I see anything

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
start working for ibm next week :win:
been working for a month now :whew:. Started taking my own calls on Wednesday this week shyt was stressful not going to lie. Looked easy when i was watching other people doing it. At least im making progress since Wednesday should be good in 2 weeks or so. gotta stay on my grind and not fukk this opportunity up. Stay on grind people and dont slip

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
Should I learn SQL? is there an opp for a self-taught (with the help of an Expert a few hours a week) to get guap in America? :lupe:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm having a ton of fun jumping back and forth between Javascript and PHP. It keeps things interesting because the languages each cover completely different ground (if you ignore node.js).

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Before you go out and start learning these 'hot' skills, technologies, etc., find out where you fit in and what you're trying to do. If you're trying to learn things just for the money, you probably won't end up making the money because the passion won't be there. Knowing a little bit of SQL won't get you paid. On the other hand, having a high level of mastery over databases, which includes being highly fluent in SQL, WILL get you paid.

Learning SQL or whatever other technology requires a certain context. What are you trying to do? What you are trying to DO will determine what you need to learn. If you're a web developer, specifically a back-end developer, learning SQL is crucial. If you want to be a DBA (database administrator), obviously SQL and database theory would be necessary. If you're just going to learn SQL just because you heard it was a 'hot skill', you'll be wasting a lot of time if you end up not using it. If you're going into an arena that doesn't require you dealing with databases, you're going to be wasting time because that time could be spent mastering some technology/skill that IS relevant to the area you are trying to pursue.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Before you go out and start learning these 'hot' skills, technologies, etc., find out where you fit in and what you're trying to do. If you're trying to learn things just for the money, you probably won't end up making the money because the passion won't be there. Knowing a little bit of SQL won't get you paid. On the other hand, having a high level of mastery over databases, which includes being highly fluent in SQL, WILL get you paid.

Learning SQL or whatever other technology requires a certain context. What are you trying to do? What you are trying to DO will determine what you need to learn. If you're a web developer, specifically a back-end developer, learning SQL is crucial. If you want to be a DBA (database administrator), obviously SQL and database theory would be necessary. If you're just going to learn SQL just because you heard it was a 'hot skill', you'll be wasting a lot of time if you end up not using it. If you're going into an arena that doesn't require you dealing with databases, you're going to be wasting time because that time could be spent mastering some technology/skill that IS relevant to the area you are trying to pursue.

I have no degree and i dont want to be stuck working bullshyt helpdesk at ibm forever. You're right, no point in using skills in you're not looking to get into that side of the IT field. However learning the basics of a skill wont hurt you. using 2 hours of your day everday for 6 months isn't going to kill you. It's crucial to stay on your game and not get too comfy especially since so much can easily be outsourced. lucky for me I have a niche which is why I can even work at ibm with no degree or any real IT experience but like i said before I'm not looking to stay here forever. There are plenty of guys here who have been here for a while and still working in the same position more or less im not looking to be that guy.My plan is either to start learning java on my own or learn sql to get a better job and leave.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I have no degree and i dont want to be stuck working bullshyt helpdesk at ibm forever. You're right, no point in using skills in you're not looking to get into that side of the IT field. However learning the basics of a skill wont hurt you. using 2 hours of your day everday for 6 months isn't going to kill you. It's crucial to stay on your game and not get too comfy especially since so much can easily be outsourced. lucky for me I have a niche which is why I can even work at ibm with no degree or any real IT experience but like i said before I'm not looking to stay here forever. There are plenty of guys here who have been here for a while and still working in the same position more or less im not looking to be that guy.My plan is either to start learning java on my own or learn sql to get a better job and leave.

It's a great thing to learn it if you plan on delving into that field down the line. Something that is difficult to do, but is very important is to start whittling down your options and finding out what direction you want to head in so you can spend the buik of your time specializing in that aspect. There's nothing wrong with dabbling in a variety of things initially if it ultimately helps you find where you want to go. When you do, then that's when you start honing in. Being highly competent in a specialized skill/body of knowledge is what really gets you paid. If I was you, I'd read up on it on the net and see how much I like what I'm doing. Run through a couple of tracks at codecademy to see if you like programming. Most important thing is to identify what you want to do.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Is CBT nuggets a good way to prepare for the ICND1? i'm taking the exam 2 weeks from now and plan on getting the ICND2 2 weeks or so after that.

krexzen

All Star
Daps

I'm just curious what is IBM calling their help desk people these days and also if you don't mind what's your day to day responsibilities like. I have family that used to work for IBM.

I also don't blame you for not wanting to be "that guy". IBM isn't known for rewarding loyalty.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm just curious what is IBM calling their help desk people these days and also if you don't mind what's your day to day responsibilities like. I have family that used to work for IBM.

I also don't blame you for not wanting to be "that guy". IBM isn't known for rewarding loyalty.
Dont know about other ibm offices. But we are called helpdesk agents. We even say "ibm helpdesk ourname" when answering the phone. What you do depends what position you have but what i do basically is I answer phonecalls and emails from ibm's clients (they have many different) depending on where you work your client will be different. Depending on how busy the line is you could take up 30 calls a day. To be honest we only solve roughly 10 issues any other issue gets sent to other resolver groups. i only work as a tier 1 agent so the stuff is not that hard because as i said after a while you will be able to solve every problem because we only solve about 10 total. Although ibm does have internal hiring why the fukk would i want to stay working as a tier 1 agent for over a year after 6 months you can solve everything without any problems.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
How long is the IT school in the military? Apparently everyone that does IT in the military go to the same school after basic training. Some shyt said 97 days but no way is that real. :heh: