IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Loving the Business Intelligence work I'm doing. Only thing about it is we got all these damn billing systems and the data is everywhere which makes it extra complicated when building our data warehouse. And then on top of that we're about to merge with Time Warner and that's even more fukked up data :damn:. I'm loving Tableau though...definitely one of the illest data analytics/reporting tools on the market right now :ehh:. I think I'm officially out of the software development game brehs...

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
2 great job prospects in BR but i just can't help but feel like i need to get the fukk out of this town

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just became a Certfied Ethical Hacker :blessed: :banderas:

Scored a 91% on the exam. Know nmap, port scanning and what tools do what. Not bad at all :smugbiden:

What study guide did you use? I could probably get my employer to pay for a training class but not unless the exam is really involved.

Solano707

The Coli's dirty Afro-Mexicano
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California (Live in GA)
What study guide did you use? I could probably get my employer to pay for a training class but not unless the exam is really involved.

I did self study. I used the All in One CEH study guide and the Sybex CEH book as well. What helped me out was after studying and passing the CISSP, I rolled right into studying for CEH which was the last week of January.

So yeah, the All in One works really good.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
@duckbutta
are cisco certs held in high regards?

The higher level ones like the CCIE and CISSP are...something like a CCNA...ah...not so much...I got a CCNA and I am far from a network guy :yeshrug:

You have to be VERY careful with Cisco certs though...once you get to the high level ones it is pretty much industry standard that you are going to be commanding a 100k salary AT LEAST...but every company that will not pay you a 100k...won't even look at you...I know 2 guys who had to eventually take their CCIE off their resume cause hiring managers and contracting consultants look at it and say "Nah he will want 120k minimum we not paying that"

I would say for certs, it is neck and neck with Cisco and Vmware for best ones to have...Netapp certs are also good to get as well

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
The higher level ones like the CCIE and CISSP are...something like a CCNA...ah...not so much...I got a CCNA and I am far from a network guy :yeshrug:

You have to be VERY careful with Cisco certs though...once you get to the high level ones it is pretty much industry standard that you are going to be commanding a 100k salary AT LEAST...but every company that will not pay you a 100k...won't even look at you...I know 2 guys who had to eventually take their CCIE off their resume cause hiring managers and contracting consultants look at it and say "Nah he will want 120k minimum we not paying that"

I would say for certs, it is neck and neck with Cisco and Vmware for best ones to have...Netapp certs are also good to get as well
what are good entry level cert then? Because i'm currently preparing for the ICDN1 then ICDN2 2-3 weeks afer. I already got a degree but so far all i've been doing are contracts so i'm look to add certs to my resume to make it more appealing to hiring managers.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
what are good entry level cert then? Because i'm currently preparing for the ICDN1 then ICDN2 2-3 weeks afer. I already got a degree but so far all i've been doing are contracts so i'm look to add certs to my resume to make it more appealing to hiring managers.

If we are talking just network...something like Security + and CCNA would be good entry level certs...these will just add to your resume though...just about every network person i know has at least a CCNA, so it seems to me it is hard to even get in the network game without a CCNA...

If we are talking IT in general...just a low level cert in windows or Unix would be helpful...so if you are going to be a network guy and the company infra is typically windows at the OS level, grab a win 2k8 or 2k3 or whatever they are using cert...if for no other reason than when a network problem comes up you know at least enough to tell an admin "hold up buddy before you tell me that the issue is with the Nexus switch did you check blah blah blah at the OS level?"

I see that you have a Degree...that's a check...and you got some experience...that's a check...grab that CCNA...grab some random network security cert...grab a low level Unix cert..it shouldn't be that hard for you since I assume you are dealing with configuring network equipment through a command line...and you should find something permanent soon enough...

Degree...experience...certs...that is the best you can do to position yourself to make it in IT.

Just don't do something crazy and try and go for an advanced cert right off the bat if your work experience doesn't match it...no one is going to look at a guy with a CCIE with a year and a half of contract gigs under his belt...that won't add up

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I got a Associates in CS but I'm debating going to WGU to get a degree in Health Informatics. What jobs can I get after graduation?

Or should I just stick down the IT path, I only did contract work, I have a A+ and N+.

Alright real question, is it too late to get a BS at 35 in IT? I'm thinking of changing my major at WGU to IT, fukk health informatics.

I know IT is a pretty racist field but I'm a 35 year old darkskinned brother, what ya'll advise? Health Informatics would probably be safer but less pay but I don't have alot of job experience, mostly street shyt to survive and a couple contract jobs.

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I got a Associates in CS but I'm debating going to WGU to get a degree in Health Informatics. What jobs can I get after graduation?

Or should I just stick down the IT path, I only did contract work, I have a A+ and N+.

Alright real question, is it too late to get a BS at 35 in IT? I'm thinking of changing my major at WGU to IT, fukk health informatics.

I know IT is a pretty racist field but I'm a 35 year old darkskinned brother, what ya'll advise? Health Informatics would probably be safer but less pay but I don't have alot of job experience, mostly street shyt to survive and a couple contract jobs.
You got an associates, A+, & N+? You should be eating well depending on where you live.

As far as going back to school, its never too late

semtex

:)
Daps
Anyone ever had a remote job as a developer? Applied for an entry level one that pays 75k (NC thats a lot)