IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Vacation Over. Time To Get Back To Work

Network+ & HTML/CSS = May 8th

Breh, I'd advise you to pick one area and focus; the way to make money in IT is specialization.

So I'd strongly suggest you make a decision on what area you're interested in, either focus on the support/network end of things (A+, Net+, maybe some Cisco or Microsoft certs) or focus on Web Design. I wouldn't try to do both, it's best to just pick on thing and try to get proficient at it.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Breh, I'd advise you to pick one area and focus; the way to make money in IT is specialization.

So I'd strongly suggest you make a decision on what area you're interested in, either focus on the support/network end of things (A+, Net+, maybe some Cisco or Microsoft certs) or focus on Web Design. I wouldn't try to do both, it's best to just pick on thing and try to get proficient at it.
Im going to focus on networking but i want to learn to code

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What's a decent free web host these days? I want to upload some of these experiments I've been doing.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for the recommendation. I can't wait to get this Javascript under control so I can move on to PHP and SQL, and then C# so I can have a general purpose language under my belt.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Working with the DOM is very clunky. I know they could have come up with a better model than this.

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green
I have some intimate knowledge on the subject that i really wanna share

The two HOTTEST fields in IT you can go for is IT Security ( with the world being more and more technology reliant- companies needs an army to protect their systems)
and Object orientated development ( whether its Core Java, C#, C++( to some degree), Scala, Akka, Clojure or even the mobile development or new User interface languages like HTML5

The reality is the guys that make the crazy money are usually the guys who eat, breath and sleep IT. I know guys who make 1000-1300/A DAY doing programming so I know first hand

if its not your passion, it is going to be hard to keep up with these tech nerds so if any of you have young children and they have a knack for technology..encourage them- there is a heavy need for more talent US born technologists

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
I have some intimate knowledge on the subject that i really wanna share

The two HOTTEST fields in IT you can go for is IT Security ( with the world being more and more technology reliant- companies needs an army to protect their systems)
and Object orientated development ( whether its Core Java, C#, C++( to some degree), Scala, Akka, Clojure or even the mobile development or new User interface languages like HTML5

The reality is the guys that make the crazy money are usually the guys who eat, breath and sleep IT. I know guys who make 1000-1300/A DAY doing programming so I know first hand

if its not your passion, it is going to be hard to keep up with these tech nerds so if any of you have young children and they have a knack for technology..encourage them- there is a heavy need for more talent US born technologists

Why bring up a guy who is the top 1% of all programmers? A majority of them are middle class individuals who make decent pay, theres no point dangling information like that because we all know that is unattainable.

I bet the guy in question has been programming since he was in middle school and had a knack for pattern recognition. He was probably born to code and so there is no surprise he is getting paid that much money.

The buddies of mine as of right now get paid decent salaries but nothing special.

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Why bring up a guy who is the top 1% of all programmers? A majority of them are middle class individuals who make decent pay, theres no point dangling information like that because we all know that is unattainable.

I bet the guy in question has been programming since he was in middle school and had a knack for pattern recognition. He was probably born to code and so there is no surprise he is getting paid that much money.

The buddies of mine as of right now get paid decent salaries but nothing special.
He wanted to know what the hottest areas in IT are,often the hottest will speak to a smaller % but that doesnt mean you cant strive. So people should accept mediocre money and a mediocre career? Maybe that works for you....and if so...good for you

I am not telling anyone you HAVE to do this type of work, he is an adult- i am just letting people know if they want to chase the money - here is where to go

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
He wanted to know what the hottest areas in IT are,often the hottest will speak to a smaller % but that doesnt mean you cant strive. So people should accept mediocre money and a mediocre career? Maybe that works for you....and if so...good for you

I am not telling anyone you HAVE to do this type of work, he is an adult- i am just letting people know if they want to chase the money - here is where to go

Ignoring the passive aggressive swipe at me, tell us about your friend and his credentials. Let us know how he got the position and how he was able to land this gig?

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Ignoring the passive aggressive swipe at me, tell us about your friend and his credentials. Let us know how he got the position and how he was able to land this gig?

He isnt a "friend"- I placed him at his job along with other like him

Its not no passive aggressive shyt- if i wanna take shots i do so- i dont understand why you have an issue with me trying to inform the masses of these kind of job- when i tell young people of color what kind of $ can be made and what is hot- they seem shocked and thankful for the info

Now they can go do desktop support or whatever the desire but i want to see more people of color getting that money, thats all

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
He isnt a "friend"- I placed him at his job along with other like him
You mind sharing how these guys make this kind of money?

sure

generally they start with getting computer science degrees
Then they get put on by taking on internship or some sort of coop program to get their foot in the door

the key is always be a step ahead in terms of new tech and new strategies to improve the quality of code or system performance...the more of that stuff you learn ( and the more pollying you do)

down the line the money gets greater and greater

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
sure

generally they start with getting computer science degrees
Then they get put on by taking on internship or some sort of coop program to get their foot in the door

the key is always be a step ahead in terms of new tech and new strategies to improve the quality of code or system performance...the more of that stuff you learn ( and the more pollying you do)

down the line the money gets greater and greater

Interesting.

Are software engineers and programmers in this select group or is this strictly programmers?

Also how many years do these guy have to be able to be trusted enough with this salary. I am sure the company paying these guys knows they are highly competent and are very reliable.

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Interesting.

Are software engineers and programmers in this select group or is this strictly programmers?

Also how many years do these guy have to be able to be trusted enough with this salary. I am sure the company paying these guys knows they are highly competent and are very reliable.

Good questions

Generally the Engineers will see the better money bc they offer the programming skill but also the design exp and the ability to improve scalability and performance

I would say you are talking about a 8-15 year person- now thats a big gap but you also have to consider the highest paying firms are: Investment banks, hedge funds, asset management firms and technology companies ( generally speaking)