IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I just scanned through the thread and found info on starting out in IT on the bottom of the second page. No offense, but if you're too impatient to read through two pages of a thread, IT might not be the right field for you. :heh:

I read that, but it doesn't necessarily give info on certs.

Start out by acquiring a helpdesk job at a webhosting company (hostgator/cpanel..etc) They train you and you can gain experience from there... the pay starts at like $10.50/hr...you can move up quick.. get your A+ cert and you're good.

:comeon:

flipn50

Pro
Daps
I just got a job at Hostgator (I live in Austin). It's 3 weeks paid training program and the first 120 days are consider orientation (until they make you permanent). They start you out at $12.

If you're curious what questions the interviewers are going to ask then feel free to ask me because they're still fresh in my mind. Once you applied at hostgator.com, you'll get an email for a phone interview, then an in person interview.

Some question they asked are about DNS, CPanel, Imap and Pop3, File Manager, A Record, CNAME (you don't have to know all of these, just know what DNS is and you're good). They just want to know if you know how to use a computer or ever set up a website before.

I lied about having previous customer services experience.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
I read that, but it doesn't necessarily give info on certs.

:comeon:
I just scanned through the thread and found info on starting out in IT on the bottom of the second page. No offense, but if you're too impatient to read through two pages of a thread, IT might not be the right field for you. :heh:

He's right. This is a multipage(83 pages) thread. If you're serious about this you'll read through it. Honestly if you can't/won't and just want the answers IT aint for you. Just about anything you want to know is in here breh just take an hr or 2 and im sure you're question will be answered.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I just got a job at Hostgator (I live in Austin). It's 3 weeks paid training program and the first 120 days are consider orientation (until they make you permanent). They start you out at $12.

If you're curious what questions the interviewers are going to ask then feel free to ask me because they're still fresh in my mind. Once you applied at hostgator.com, you'll get an email for a phone interview, then an in person interview.

Some question they asked are about DNS, CPanel, Imap and Pop3, File Manager, A Record, CNAME (you don't have to know all of these, just know what DNS is and you're good). They just want to know if you know how to use a computer or ever set up a website before.

I lied about having previous customer services experience.
this your first gig in IT?

semtex

:)
Daps
Spring 2014 courses:

Design and implementation of object oriented systems

Software testing and quality assurance

Server-side app development

Advanced Spanish grammar

Technical writing (pending)

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
He's right. This is a multipage(83 pages) thread. If you're serious about this you'll read through it. Honestly if you can't/won't and just want the answers IT aint for you. Just about anything you want to know is in here breh just take an hr or 2 and im sure you're question will be answered.

All I'm looking for is a simple answer.

Cats make it seem like it's illuminati. :snoop:

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Question for all my black brehs: How many brothers do you work with? And whats the atmosphere like for brothers in the biz?