IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Say brehs take a look at this position for me and tell me what you think. Im not crazy about being a contractor tho :patrice:

https://www.appone.com/maininforeq....4591&Refer=http://www.indeed.com/jobs&B_ID=91

sounds like a desktop upgrade job that would be good for getting started in the IT field. my only problem with this position is it doesn't tell you the length of the job. if you already have a permanent job then i would look elsewhere, but if you need something then go for it.

the thing about being a contractor is that they can let you go any minute, regardless the length of the project. i worked as a contractor for my first job and have seen ppl let go after only a month. if you do pursue a contracting job, then continue to push your resume out while working.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Alright so ive been meaning to get my a+ and security+ (ive read to skip the network, correct me if im wrong)..then going towards all the bigger certs. Im 26 with a GED.

What legit schools are there in nyc? Can i take evening or online classes? I want to dive into this and do a ton of studying

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Alright so ive been meaning to get my a+ and security+ (ive read to skip the network, correct me if im wrong)..then going towards all the bigger certs. Im 26 with a GED.

What legit schools are there in nyc? Can i take evening or online classes? I want to dive into this and do a ton of studying

Don't bother going to school for it, if you're the motivated type you can self study for those in a short period of time.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Don't bother going to school for it, if you're the motivated type you can self study for those in a short period of time.

Ok cool, so then where in nyc do i go to take the test only? Im just real skeptical about googling a spot then getting scammed or some bullshyt

Ive read that mike myers book is a good start, any otherbooks or sites i should hop on?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Ok cool, so then where in nyc do i go to take the test only? Im just real skeptical about googling a spot then getting scammed or some bullshyt

Ive read that mike myers book is a good start, any otherbooks or sites i should hop on?

http://www.vue.com/comptia/

There's a spot in Midtown that you can go test at.

Go to www.techexams.net, lot of knowledgeable folk there. I can't tell you much about the tests I took them shyts back in 2006 I'm sure they've been updated 2 if not 3 times since then. Good luck :salute:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

for the A+ check out professor messer and as far as testing centers go, you can google comptia A+ test centers then type your zip code and it'll pull up test centers nearest to you. if i were you, i would knock out the A+ then dive into the bigger certs like microsoft and cisco. to be honest, you can probably skip a+ entirely and go for microsoft straight out the gate...unless you don't know much about computers then studying the a+ would be a good idea.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
to be honest, you can probably skip a+ entirely and go for microsoft straight out the gate...unless you don't know much about computers then studying the a+ would be a good idea.

Yeah, I downloaded some A+ practice test questions just now and I doubt I could even pass that shyt today. Asking me shyt about printers? :childplease: That's what vendors are for

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I want to take my A+ by the end of january... Really gonna lock in and make sure im prepared

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yeah, I downloaded some A+ practice test questions just now and I doubt I could even pass that shyt today. Asking me shyt about printers? :childplease: That's what vendors are for

Yeah, I've been working IT support for a while now (make over 20/hr these days) and I couldn't tell you a thing about fixing printers. :heh:

We have a contract with Ricoh to repair printers. Anything more serious than a paper jam and we just call them out to fix it.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Just did some virus removal on something called aarmetis that was messing up the internet. Think i might venture into more networking and security :patrice:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I'm interested in learning IT this year to improve my situation. I want to study for some certs but need a starting point. is A+ the standard beginning cert? I see something called strata it fundamentals on the comptia site that says it's basic series for beginners. should a no experience newbie like me look into that as a refresher course?