IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
I'm interested in learning IT this year to improve my situation. I want to study for some certs but need a starting point. is A+ the standard beginning cert? I see something called strata it fundamentals on the comptia site that says it's basic series for beginners. should a no experience newbie like me look into that as a refresher course?
Good question. I'd like to study and come into a Help Desk job or something like that. What's a good STARTING POINT and what's a good expectation in terms of completing certain BENCHMARKS? Just what are some different PATHS in the field (ex. Security, Hardware, etc)?? :dwillhuh: I'd like to GUAP LIKE A DOG :whew: while still working independently and on my own schedule? :flabbynsick:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Good question. I'd like to study and come into a Help Desk job or something like that. What's a good STARTING POINT and what's a good expectation in terms of completing certain BENCHMARKS? Just what are some different PATHS in the field (ex. Security, Hardware, etc)?? :dwillhuh: I'd like to GUAP LIKE A DOG :whew: while still working independently and on my own schedule? :flabbynsick:

You're probably not gonna start out making bread like that. Like any other industry, you have to start at the bottom and pay your dues. If you don't have any experience/degrees, I'd say study for your A+ and take the test when you feel like your ready. If you need help, there are guides on the Internet as well as A+ prep classes you can take at many community classes.

Once you have your A+, start applying for Help Desk jobs. I probably wouldn't worry about other certs until you have some sort of experience. Depending on where you live and the job market in your area, you'll probably be able to apply for jobs paying anywhere from $12-$16/hr. Once you get your foot in the door, start looking into other certs and thinking about specializing. I'm still trying to find my own path in the field but there are lots of different areas you can specialize in...networking, servers, security, virtualization, infrastructure, Linux, etc.

If you're serious about going into IT, it may also be worth checking your local community college to see if they have any two-year IT programs...it's easier to get your foot in the door (with no experience) if you have a degree or at least have passed some IT classes. Last few IT support jobs I've gotten have required at least a 2-year degree just to avoid having your resume thrown out.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
You're probably not gonna start out making bread like that. Like any other industry, you have to start at the bottom and pay your dues. If you don't have any experience/degrees, I'd say study for your A+ and take the test when you feel like your ready. If you need help, there are guides on the Internet as well as A+ prep classes you can take at many community classes.

Once you have your A+, start applying for Help Desk jobs. I probably wouldn't worry about other certs until you have some sort of experience. Depending on where you live and the job market in your area, you'll probably be able to apply for jobs paying anywhere from $12-$16/hr. Once you get your foot in the door, start looking into other certs and thinking about specializing. I'm still trying to find my own path in the field but there are lots of different areas you can specialize in...networking, servers, security, virtualization, infrastructure, Linux, etc.

If you're serious about going into IT, it may also be worth checking your local community college to see if they have any two-year IT programs...it's easier to get your foot in the door (with no experience) if you have a degree or at least have passed some IT classes. Last few IT support jobs I've gotten have required at least a 2-year degree just to avoid having your resume thrown out.
Thanks. Is that test thru Oracle?
http://certification.comptia.org/ExploreCareers/careerpaths/career_roadmap.aspx

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Here are instructions for signing up for it -

http://www.pearsonvue.com/comptia/comptia_webng_instructions.pdf

It's through PearsonVue. You can take it at any local testing center...places like community colleges typically administer the test. All you have to do is register for the test online, pay for it, find a local testing center, and schedule it. You don't have to take any classes if you don't want to, you can just take the exam. However I think the test costs like $180 to take, and there's no refund if you fail, so you probably want to be pretty sure you'll pass before you sign up for it.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just did some virus removal on something called aarmetis that was messing up the internet. Think i might venture into more networking and security :patrice:

I switched fields to go into cyber security a few years ago and it's not all that great. Don't believe me just look up salary survey data on IT Security Analyst positions. I'll probably end up going back to either Systems Administration or Networking.

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Ima be working from home so I thought about taking some classes online
I found a groupon for ituonline.com for $99 for their complete Cisco program
I have no knowledge of that side of the field
I used to work in the construction side installing the cable
Anyways is that a good deal or are there better ones for cheaper

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Besides Indeed & Dice whats some other good job sites?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
its 2014 if you dont have a polished linkedin profile u losing out
ibimvpF2YJq0hy.gif

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I don't know shyt, brehs. :sadcam:

All I know is it's a certificate. Where do you get them? Do you take classes or is it a 1 day thing? Da fukk does "IT" mean? What categories do you get them in?

Any help is appreciated. :to: