IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
They just want your resume and they screen you out with a obscenely hard assessment.
That's definitely an individual-based perspective. I've worked with them and have had several colleagues work with them and have had much success. Again, I'm not advocating for them but if your game is tight - you'll be good with any staffing company. They just happen to be one of the larger staffing firms and are pretty much in every region of the country.

Many corporations do not hire unless its through a staffing firm, they rather not manage the IT weeding out process. Therefore they rely on staffing firms to verify credentials and ensure that they are presenting quality candidates.

Daps
Just got another call for this position i applied for

http://starmountlife.myexacthire.com/ViewJob-46115.html

My main thing is good money & not having to be on the phone all day like i currently am now.

Be clear of your goals with whomever you interview with. Say the $ amount that you expect and the responsibilities that you want to do.

Without knowing your background, expertise, or interest - I can recommend getting more niche in an area. User Support will typically involve communicating with users whether via email, phone, or chat. But user support is a great launching pad into other IT areas, whether Infrastructure, Development, or Project Management.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
For my programmer brehs out there, how is freelancing looking? I'm beginning to lean more towards being an independent programmer and I'd like to know how viable of an option it is.

From what I've read, it seems like it's a possibility but workflow can be erratic.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I would tread carefully dealing with these jack of all trade type jobs. Normally these types of jobs are made up of duties nobody else in the IT department wants to do. I've had several and normally didn't stay longer than 1 year before bolting. In my opinion desktop support is even worse than the Hell Desk. Because you'll see problems created from almost every other group in the IT Department. It gets old constantly having to clean up messes created by other people.

I wouldn't say that...at my current job I basically do Level 1 and 2 support. Well, really anything the network guys can't be bothered to do. Basically if I can't fix it over the phone I walk my ass upstairs and fix the issue lol. Or reimage the PC. Occasionally have to hit up a comm closet and swap a UPS or or run a cord from the patch panel to the switch. Also do basic stuff on the firewall (like allowing websites) and in Exchange.

I'd say I enjoy that WAY more than when I was just Level 1, which was a lot of password resetting. Even though I'm still on the phone pretty often, just the fact that I can get out of my cube sometimes makes it way better. If nothing else it's less redundant. Plus I learn more than when I was strictly phone support.

But of course, it depends on where you work. The place I work is kinda cool and I usually don't have to be bothered with workplace politics. Only annoying thing is other departments randomly deciding they want X software or complaining about the firewall blocking something.

Got my first raise this week too. :stylin:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
For my programmer brehs out there, how is freelancing looking? I'm beginning to lean more towards being an independent programmer and I'd like to know how viable of an option it is.

From what I've read, it seems like it's a possibility but workflow can be erratic.
It depends on if ur skill set is in demand.

If it is you can make tons more money... and be happy... and always work on new shyt. Make more connections and not be tied down. Not have to completely conform to company cultures and get paid a higher rate.

Make sure u calculate for buying ur own benefits and taxes....

if you are in demand.. u can make madd doe for 6-12 months, then take some time off, then take on a 3 month project, then a 6 month, then take the holidays off and so on.

Some people feel that they aren't stable but u can always put feelers out there...(towards the end of projects) connect w a bunch of recruiters and HR people and even IT directors or software managers on LinkedIn. Put ur shyt on Dice.

If you're willing to work in multiple states or wherever the most work and money is then u will do even better.

Daps

Do you want to freelance only or would you want to be hired FT at some point?

Freelance gives you a chance as a newbie to get experience and work in different environments ('shops'). Right now there's a shortage of developers nation wide, especially with enterprise level development (i.e. .Net and Java) and mobile stuff. As far as the freelance market, you can compete strongly as a US developer if you have exceptional communication skills, understand Project Management/Business Logic, and can develop from the front to the back (UI to Database). Otherwise, its okay but you'll have to be head and shoulders above to show that you are a ninja in some high demand technology (i.e.: node.js or angularjs), component (i.e.: UX or mobile), or industry (i.e.: eCommerce or healthcare). You have several freelance websites, AND you have contract jobs (1-month to 2 year) style jobs everywhere pretty much.

The cool thing about development is you can get in the game without working for a company. Just develop a simple app in your preferred language/platform and use it as your sandbox.

I haven't updated my resume in 3 years and its packed with old technologies BUT I still get emails for contract work and full time opportunities on a weekly basis. I am sure the market will be picking up even more over the next few months.

Daps
It depends on if ur skill set is in demand.

If it is you can make tons more money... and be happy... and always work on new shyt. Make more connections and not be tied down. Not have to completely conform to company cultures and get paid a higher rate.

Make sure u calculate for buying ur own benefits and taxes....

if you are in demand.. u can make madd doe for 6-12 months, then take some time off, then take on a 3 month project, then a 6 month, then take the holidays off and so on.

Some people feel that they aren't stable but u can always put feelers out there...(towards the end of projects) connect w a bunch of recruiters and HR people and even IT directors or software managers on LinkedIn. Put ur shyt on Dice.

If you're willing to work in multiple states or wherever the most work and money is then u will do even better.

Great points! Demand is key! I worked this formula for year and half, killed the game. BTW, Insurance can be off-set if you have a spouse. But if not that is def'n something you'd want to look into given Affordable Care Act.

Networking and putting your profile, skills on display is the blueprint. LinkedIn is BIG.

Great post

Daps
this.

The shortage is pretty crazy right now.
Usually hiring picks up in Q1 and Q2 as new projects come down the slate and budgets are established. Affordable Health Care have some mid-size and small companies on fence but most companies are needing to maintain existing code and become more competitive in mobile and user engagement. eBay is even doing some big work right now.

Not sure if you heard about the Prez coming out about the need for programmers, but it's becoming a big deal. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/12/09/don-t-just-play-your-phone-program-it[url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/12/09/don-t-just-play-your-phone-program-it[/URL]

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Do you want to freelance only or would you want to be hired at some point?

I'm looking to do freelancing as a main source of income.

The cool thing about development is you can get in the game without working for a company. Just develop a simple app in your preferred language/platform and use it as your sandbox.

That's what I love about it. One thing I've noticed is that companies like to see people who do their own independent projects. I've been to plenty interviews where they'll ask what projects I have worked on.

As far as the freelance market, you can compete strongly as a US developer if you have exceptional communication skills, understand Project Management/Business Logic, and can develop from the front to the back (UI to Database). Otherwise, its okay but you'll have to be head and shoulders above to show that you are a ninja in some high demand technology (i.e.: node.js or angularjs), component (i.e.: UX or mobile), or industry (i.e.: eCommerce or healthcare). You have several freelance websites, AND you have contract jobs (1-month to 2 year) style jobs everywhere pretty much.

The thing I'm most concerned about is how to be visible. I'm sure there's plenty of freelance developers out there who aren't getting any work just because they don't have much of a reputation. How much work goes into building those connections and making sure you have clients knocking at your door?

Daps
I'm looking to do freelancing as a main source of income.

That's what I love about it. One thing I've noticed is that companies like to see people who do their own independent projects. I've been to plenty interviews where they'll ask what projects I have worked on.

The thing I'm most concerned about is how to be visible. I'm sure there's plenty of freelance developers out there who aren't getting any work just because they don't have much of a reputation. How much work goes into building those connections and making sure you have clients knocking at your door?
Yes, having your own portfolio is big! Various projects showing off your skills as a complete developer especially for freelance, or showing that you're the expert in a specific technology.

As a independent contractor, being professional, visible, and know how to deliver is the most important things.

Not sure where you're located at but 6 things you can do within this week.

1. I am saying this first, but do it last after all is set-up. But get you some Business Cards. Doesn't have to say anything but name, [language] programmer, phone, email, (social media), website. Make it clean, and professional.
2. Get involved with a meetup. Meet other Developers/Programmers/Designers (Learn the lingo, how they operate in your area)
3. Attend professional events (I know Asp.Net User groups are everywhere. PHP, and Java have there own cliques too - this will keep you up on latest technology)
4. Create you a GitHub Account (allows you to easily store your projects and review others code as well)
5. Update your LinkedIn & Twitter accounts. Follow IT professionals, join groups, freelance groups, etc.
6. Get you a personal site/blog up with your contact information, resume, links to your projects/twitter. Show off your SEO skills by making sure your name pops up to the top, and also tackle a few keywords in your area such as [AREA] Freelance Programmer and try to get on the first page of google.

This may take you a couple of months to get in the game, learn the lingo. Next thing is to determine whose problems do you want to solve what kind of projects are you interested in, and target that group. For example, if you want to do POS programming then you'll want to go to their meetings, understand their problems, speak with HR professionals in that industry, have your portfolio together and tell them how you can solve their POS problems.

The web is open, but from my experience it can be harder to be found online unless you stand out against non-US developers who are bargains. You have to show-out with understanding projects, and being a solution expert. For example, knowing how to implement use-case diagrams, write up specifications, implement user-friendly technology to streamline project deliverables,and communicate efficiently.

I'm sure you know about sites like ODesk.com, eLance.com, and guru.com - but you can throw a profile up on there in no time.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
To add on to the knowledge @BuyBlack365.com and @Blackking has been dropping...I would tell anyone who is trying to stay abreast on new technologies (developers or the certs gang) to get an account with pluralsight.com. You won't find better training on technologies anywhere else and the cats that are teaching the courses are the top dogs in industry (i.e. the cats that are writing the books on the technologies). They drop new courses DAILY with the latest shyt. And If you're in school, you can get a free 3-month membership to pluralsight through Microsoft's dreamspark.com.

props to the homie @Data-Hawk for putting me on game a while back.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Quoting an earlier post i made:

"Dice.com is a great site for IT jobs. Indeed, monster, and career builder are also good. Just make sure you're using the latest technologies in your resume. They use bots to determine 'viable' candidates or non-IT HR persons. So buzzwords and links to a portfolios of work experience is also a hand up in the game!

Good luck!"

Also for IT Jobs - there is a shortage pretty much nationwide. Find some area you're interested in and get your knowledge up. If it's helpdesk, learn Windows (all os platforms), Mac, Linux, and mobile. Don't be afraid to use recruiters and perform contract work. Recruiters/Staffing Firms are very good if you are an entry-level/intermediate level IT professional. An example is TekSystems: http://www.teksystems.com. I personally am not in the market, but I get job offers from PA, NJ, CA, NY, TX every week and my resume is at least 3 years old. Once you have 3-5 years as an IT professional in this market you will not have to apply for a job, only determine a company, culture, opportunity($,growth, p.d.) that fits your needs.
Yea you are right, I have been doing desktop support for 5 years now and I am ready to move on, and I have delt with the recruiters and staffing agencies before. I would like to maybe start my own consulting agency, but i dont know where to begin